• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL: Aston Villa v Arsenal - Saturday Nov 27th 12:45 - SS2

yuvken

Established Member
Kain said:
dress code at Arsenal is a disgrace, the school boy errors by our outfield players wearing gloves... He has allowed this to go on for too long...
players wear Pink boots... the goalkeeping situation... a pink, zebra stripped, atrocity
Wenger Out!
Song and Sagna's hair? Chamakh's neck piece? Pat rice's glasses? details, kain, seriously.

Arsenal_FAN1983

Clichy disappointed me by allowing Clark the time and space to shoot. Other than that mistake, I think the overall performance from Arsenal was very good.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Nah Clichy moved towards Clark for a second but then retreated because there was a ball on to Young who was his man.

Rosicky should really be goalside of him but he completely switched off. And Song is in line with the CB's when I think he could also push out.

outlaw_member

Established Member
I heard Wilshere talk for the first on MOTD, yesterday. What the hell was he on about? I couldn't make out a single word.

Incidentally, I also heard Pires talk for the first time.

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
It was a major blunder from Clichy imo. When the ball reaches Clark, he's the closest to him and theres only one decision to be made. It was terrible defending. Sure maybe Song or Rosicky should have been better placed before the cross comes in but when Clark gets the ball, Clichy has to try and block the shot.

Rorz

Established Member
It was a collective defensive error for me. It sorta looked like Rosicky and Clichy didn't know who was going to close him down (although Rosicky should have been goal side in the first place) and neither ended up doing it.

Good finish to be fair, although Fabianski's view was completely obstructed by Carew.

Nela

Established Member
I think you could argue that Rosicky as the midfielder in defense should have stepped up and closed Clark down. However, Clichy's indecision and general hesitation is systemic to his game and it affects everyone around him. He makes poor decisions and is constantly in two minds about what to do and that must be very unsettling for the defenders playing with him.

The leftback issue must be resolved soon, whether it's from within or from the outside.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Arsenal_FAN1983 said:
Clichy disappointed me by allowing Clark the time and space to shoot. Other than that mistake, I think the overall performance from Arsenal was very good.

Having seen the replay of that incident, I do not think his defensive team mates were too happy with him either. He does tend to make bad decisions at key points that often lead to goals. As the nearest defender he should have closed down Clark, particularly as Clark was so close to goal and in prime shooting position. However, the really annoying issue with this goal, was how Carew was not deemed to be interfering with play in an offside position. If Clattenburg cannot realise that Carew is infuencing the outcome of that particular move, what hope do we have with referees today and their interpretaion of the laws of the offside rule-it's a lottery.

asajoseph

Established Member
To me, it looked like Clichy was coming towards Clark, then saw Rosicky come in too and decided to move out left to mark the free man. Unfortunately, Rosicky stopped and left Clark free, which meant Clichy was stranded. That said, not sure Rosicky would have got there anyway.

outlaw_member

Established Member
The thing is, Clichy moved to block Clark's shot and by doing that, he prevented his team mates from doing the same as he had obviously taken up the responsibility. But by backing out, it was too late for anyone else to stop the shot and his hesitancy partly caused the goal. You either take up the responsibility or you don't, if Fabianski pretended to come out for the ball only to hesitate and run back, and we conceded as a result, he'd be the scapegoat irrespective of who was marking who. It's no different here.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
outlaw_member said:
The thing is, Clichy moved to block Clark's shot and by doing that, he prevented his team mates from doing the same as he had obviously taken up the responsibility. But by backing out, it was too late for anyone else to stop the shot and his hesitancy partly caused the goal. You either take up the responsibility or you don't, if Fabianski pretended to come out for the ball only to hesitate and run back, and we conceded as a result, he'd be the scapegoat irrespective of who was marking who. It's no different here.

Agreed...

asajoseph

Established Member
True, but that doesn't change the fact that there were two men free - Clichy commits himself too much into Clark, the free man outside becomes an easy pass. Rosicky AND Clichy needed to take responsibility, there was nothing Gael could really do on his own, and Rosicky's feint at defending basically just hung everyone out to dry.

Arsenal Quotes

First I went left, he did too. Then I went right and he did too. Then I went left again and he went to buy a hot dog.

Arsene Wenger on dribbling Zinedine Zidane in a charity game
Top Bottom