• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL: Newcastle v Arsenal 29/08/15 12.45pm (BT Sport)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyMarsh

Established Member
I wasn't hoping for Theo/Ox/Alexis, you need players who can retain the ball and unfortunately that isn't a strong point for any of them.

Might be useful if we were ahead and there was space but hard to build with that attack.
11 vs 11 we created 2 great openings and got a penalty denied. It was good up until the sending off.

After the red card though it failed to impress. Was nice to see it in action though. But all 3 were completely off form anyway.

What do we try next? Alexis-Giroud-Theo I reckon.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I wasn't hoping for Theo/Ox/Alexis, you need players who can retain the ball and unfortunately that isn't a strong point for any of them.

Might be useful if we were ahead and there was space but hard to build with that attack.

I agree with this especially against a team who were playing as defensive as Newcastle for 75 minutes. Alexis-Ox-Theo seems more like a counter-attacking trio, which could have been useful had Newcastle not got Mitrovic sent off, but after that the game didn't suite them, you could even say Ramsey as a number 10 didn't help either in terms of retaining possession high up the pitch.

fabo

6.51 / 10
I would have subbed Santi at HT for Giroud, moved Theo wide right.

Wenger seems in two minds about the attack which is worrying. Sanchez only certain starter out of him/Giroud/Theo/Ox at this moment.

RandyMarsh

Established Member
The only good thing Ramsey did today in the No. 10 role was make some good runs in behind the defence.

His 'playmaking' was non existent. He didn't know how to utilise pockets of space like Özil does, his first touch and passing was sloppy.

He made a few nice passess to Giroud late on, but apart from that he didn't impress me at all today.

Then again, nobody in attack did.

Jaywood Mac

Have to say I agree with Keown about our players reactions. I see where wengers coming from in that he's proud of us not reacting but even watching the game I had flashes of the old arsenal sides and how they would've reacted. Vieira Lauren Keown etc would've towered over the opposition player and ref and intimidated. Coquelans getting the s**t kicked out of him and Cazorlas just standing there like a cabbage.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Have to say I agree with Keown about our players reactions. I see where wengers coming from in that he's proud of us not reacting but even watching the game I had flashes of the old arsenal sides and how they would've reacted. Vieira Lauren Keown etc would've towered over the opposition player and ref and intimidated. Coquelans getting the s**t kicked out of him and Cazorlas just standing there like a cabbage.

I wouldn't like them to surround the ref as Chavs, United or Barca do, but for obvious things like penalty on Bellerin, they should definitely make more of it.

Bellerin ran away from that situation like he was at fault for falling down in the box.

Jaywood Mac

I think overall it annoyed me cause its just something I've noticed with the team in the early games this season, lack of desire, lack of determination, lack of willpower. Against pool and west ham when we were pushing for a goal it was just too half hearted.
And you just know well see all that return after Jamuary if we are chasing 4th place.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I think too much is wrong, I actually feel sorry for the players, who are trying.

Wenger is over complicating team set up, then you add a bunch of average players into the mix, then you throw in kids like Chambers, Bellerin, Ramsey, etc, no signings as cherry on the top.

Too much is wrong, its not one problem.

We can sign Messi and we won't win the league.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I actually though we looked the best of the top 4 so far this weekend . Apart from the lack of goals , I think we are not far off . I know a lot will disagree but I took a lot of confidence from that game .

Palace and Newcastle looked like decent sides especially Palace against the Mancs and CFC , was not the case when the mighty Arsenal played them .

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
I just watched Match of the Day and I thought we looked horrendous. What was most galling was not the poor football - though there was plenty of that - but the lack of passion on our part. We looked as though we were assimilated by the Borg in terms of emotion and passion in the game. No verve at all. I don't understand why?

TorontoGooner76

I will gladly take the 3 points at this point, of course. I am certainly less convinced with Theo as a CF and at this point actually prefer Giroud very slightly if only for his ability to hold the ball and bring others into play.

I was actually pondering Ramsey as a 10 in the other thread, but we clearly missed Özil there today. Ramsey dropped back a bit too deep at times I feel when Santi was in those same positions. Ox was quite sloppy, aside from the shot leading to the goal.

Positives were another clean sheet and a decent showing for the CB partnership today. I really would like Gabriel integrated into the defence with Koscielny a little more often, though some off his passes out of the back were a little soft which worried me at times.

Thought they were targeting Coq a bit too, knowing his temper.

A win is a win, even an ugly one. I'll take it. Up early to watch it, meant a good rest of the day for me anyways...not to mention watching chelsea lose on a pvr recorded game Saturday evening ☺

Liverpool dropping points too.

All in all a decent day

TorontoGooner76

I just watched Match of the Day and I thought we looked horrendous. What was most galling was not the poor football - though there was plenty of that - but the lack of passion on our part. We looked as though we were assimilated by the Borg in terms of emotion and passion in the game. No verve at all. I don't understand why?

Agreed. Our movement was terrible and our build up was painfully slow.

Bould14

My Notes:
We needed the 3 points we can't afford to fall behind City anymore they are the obvious front runner.

Wenger is trying so hard to fit Ramsey into the team. I think he knows that Ramsey doesn't have the technical skills to distribute the in the build up like Santi, and can be gun ho with his tactically positioning which is why he played on the right last few weeks bar today.

Wenger is also trying to see who out of Theo/Giroud is going to start scoring because neither is on form at the moment, and it's a problem. I know Wenger wanted to get more goals from our midfielders but bar Ramsey none of them are really consistent finishers. Their goals come here and there.

Coq is being targeted because he is our "tough" player and I think teams think that if they rattle him they can rattle Arsenal he's also our enforcer so sooner he's off the pitch the less bite we have. I think only Jack would have been in the ref's face because he's cut from that Arsenal DNA.

Moving forward Wenger has to get more out of our attack. It just can't be signings even though that would be a big help. I think Welbeck is the natural number 2 for Giroud in our system. Theo has to either play when we are not having containing possession, or has to play off the main target main he can't be the only one up top. People tend to forget that under Wenger the strikers are pretty isolated.

If I was Wenger I would forget Jack being a 10 he would do a lot of damage playing the deeper role like he does for England.

TorontoGooner76

I agree with a lot of what you say, @Bould14 . I love Jack's runs from deep, but I wonder if he would still make a better 10 than Rambo? I know Wenger said he still doesn't want Jack to play with his back to goal as a 10, but see's him more in a deeper role. I think they really could of used his direct play today though.

MrBump

I don't see either as #10.
Cazorla should be our back up for Özil
Ramsey should be our back up for wilshere in cm.

It's just so crazy to see Wenger still experimenting.

I just watched game again and almost fell asleep again. Boring arc of frustrating approach with no penetration whatsoever.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I wouldn't like them to surround the ref as Chavs, United or Barca do, but for obvious things like penalty on Bellerin, they should definitely make more of it.

Bellerin ran away from that situation like he was at fault for falling down in the box.

He did raise his hands and things but Mariner waved play on , this is the ref that sent off Gibbs instead of Ox . He was lucky that we were getting a right thrashing in the middle of it otherwise there would have been more scrutiny .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Team picking is a complicated and scientific matter requiring expert knowledge

Herbert Chapman

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 18

Arsenal‘s interest in Ivan Toney has waned. It is unlikely he will join this summer and neither will Alexander Isak, with the club no longer interested at his £120m price [John Cross - The Mirror]

Benjamin Šeško will cost €65m this summer [Sky Sports Germany]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom