• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL| West Brom v Arsenal, 06/10, 4pm, SS1

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I think a lot of people are coming to conclusions a bit quick off the back of that last result. Lots of hindsight wisdom.

We're talking one game here, away at WBA, who happen to be flying. We were just poor on the day because our better players didn't fire for one reason or another... That is most probably why we didn't win.

We were rock solid against Napoli, yet the same midfield and defense let WBA through countless times. That same midfield that annihilated Napoli a few days before, and were hardly stretched physically. That set-up--I'm sure many thought before the game--would have been ideal for what we were likely to face up there from WBA... Oh no it wasn't, it can't have been, because we didn't win :lol:

Many had their reservations about Gnabry starting vs Swansea (I didn't), as he was apparently poor against...yep, WBA, in the COC! He plays, not doing much different over the 90 apart from score, and then he's your man all of a sudden and should have played on Sunday. Doh!

TheGlitch

Manu won with januzi so wenger was supposed to start gnabry? No gnab isn't ready to bench no one. Probably the same people was saying he hasn't impressed until he scores.
We could have had our best team out and not win. Gnabry isnt why we ddnt win, west brom matched us on the day, is that so hard to take?
Maybe we should have given Cazorla or walcott magic injection. We would be certain to win then.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Spot on Jury, only thing I thought Wenger did wrong was bringing on Bendtner in the end instead of Gnabry. Even if Giroud needed resting, finish the match with ten players then or put Vermaelen up front FFS.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
jones said:
Spot on Jury, only thing I thought Wenger did wrong was bringing on Bendtner in the end instead of Gnabry. Even if Giroud needed resting, finish the match with ten players then or put Vermaelen up front FFS.

I can feel your rage from here :lol:

Been saying for a while that Gnabry is a good, if raw, winger. We need good natural wide players in all prem games, nothing new or hindsight-y about it. We still deserved a win against WBA regardless, and there is no tactical preparation for bad decisions. If the ref gives either of those pens on Wilshere we go home with all 3 points and Wenger is a genius.

Such is life.

Still top of the league :bounce

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
DJ_Markstar said:
If the ref gives either of those pens on Wilshere we go home with all 3 points and Wenger is a genius.

Cue Cruisio coming in telling you to stop whining about decisions going against us :D

Inthe blood

Established Member
The Jury said:
We were rock solid against Napoli, yet the same midfield and defense let WBA through countless times. That same midfield that annihilated Napoli a few days before, and were hardly stretched physically. That set-up--I'm sure many thought before the game--would have been ideal for what we were likely to face up there from WBA... Oh no it wasn't, it can't have been, because we didn't win :lol:

Arteta or Flamini had to hit the bench imo. The main reason why that midfield looked solid is because it's main strength is through the middle and it left no room for Hamsik, Inler or Insigne to work with... Ramsey has been excellent covering full backs and winning balls from midfield, he is far more mobile and we need a ball carrier in these games rather than possession based CMs

WBA were clearly going to work the flanks and with Wilshere's lack of positional awareness we were always going to be working our full backs more than what they really should have been. The congested midfield doesn't work when players that like to work inside are continually forced outside be it in defense or attack.

arshy9

Established Member
Arteta gives us next to nothing offensively.Flamini(the natural DM)even had to push higher than he usually does because Arteta wasn't doing that.He was supposed to be our b2b but instead,Flamini was forced to do something that he isn't used to.

We played the two players who keep our midfield balanced in Arteta and Flamini.I think that should be done when we are winning a game or when we have more actual wingers or a player like Rosicky or even Cazorla imo.

Gnabry as most are saying should have started.

TheGlitch

Arteta and flamini both lacks, neither or long term solution.

Flamini suits best, mainly because he was educated here. And then complete his development around the best of his type. Gutuso Ambrosini. If he is on the pitch your back 4 is protected well. And because he isn't tryna do nothing else the attack take over once he wins it.
Arteta defence isn't as strong, neither is attack, he is almost neutral but he gels the team well, with his composure and simplicity.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Agree with Jury here, too many captain hindsight.
Had it been Gnabry started and we still get a draw, most will cry about "tactical error" of not playing the same team that won against Napoli

Anzac

Established Member
But we didn't play the same team, as Wilshere started ahead of Rosicky.
IMO Rosicky is both more familiar with playing on the flank and more dynamic in style of play. His style is to utilise space on, off & ahead of the ball, and to press the opposition.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/776531/MatchReport/Europe-UEFA-Champions-League-2013-2014-Arsenal-Napoli" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/776531 ... nal-Napoli</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/720027/MatchReport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/720027/MatchReport</a>

Against Napoli we were more like a 4222, whereas v WBA we were a 4231,
and Wilshere was narrower & more central than Rosicky,
and Özil had to drop slightly deeper.

GG8

Im not so sure Gnarby was the answer, either starting or coming off the bench.

It may have given us a bit more protection on the right, but then your looking at two very inexperienced players on that flank.

Hw was great against Swansea, but we looked the far better team for the majority of that game. Same with stoke where we had plenty of time and space on the ball, he was good if not a little bit cautious. Im just not so sure he would have performed as well as everyone thinks he would have in such a tough game, with so little time on the ball and room to make an impact.

Would have preferred Rozza if anything, but as mentioned his recent injuries maybe stopped him starting.

On the Bendtner topic, I have no qualms with Arsène throwing him on at the end of games. He is our main back-up striker at the minute, and we will probably need him at some stage between now and January. The sooner he gets minutes on the pitch and up to speed, the better. Say what you like about him, he has goals in him and I feel he is more than capable of doing a job in the Giroud role for us over the next few months.

quattro

Anzac said:
But we didn't play the same team, as Wilshere started ahead of Rosicky.
IMO Rosicky is both more familiar with playing on the flank and more dynamic in style of play. His style is to utilise space on, off & ahead of the ball, and to press the opposition.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/776531/MatchReport/Europe-UEFA-Champions-League-2013-2014-Arsenal-Napoli" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/776531 ... nal-Napoli</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/720027/MatchReport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/720027/MatchReport</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Against Napoli we were more like a 4222, whereas v WBA we were a 4231,
and Wilshere was narrower & more central than Rosicky,
and Özil had to drop slightly deeper.

seriously? we didn't win against west brom because one player was a few yards behind another?

arshy9

Established Member
I said Gnabry should have started because Rosicky had just played 60m after coming from injury .

If he had been fully fit AW would probably have started him.

He gives us great dynamism as @Anzac said.Neither Wilshere nor Ramsey know how to do that.
That quick change of pace when playing with 4 midfielders bar Rosicky and Cazorla just isn't there.So rugged.

boyinneedofhumor

@ Quattro,
No, the reason we didnt win against West Brom because we let another key player go... :mrgreen:

<a class="postlink" href="http://worldsoccertalk.com/2013/10/11/ex-arsenal-striker-gervinhos-good-form-at-roma-is-down-to-regained-confidence/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EPLTalk+%28World+Soccer+Talk%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://worldsoccertalk.com/2013/10/11/e ... er+Talk%29</a>
It’s hard not to pull a look of bemusement when you hear how former Arsenal player Gervinho is faring after his transfer to AS Roma. In his seven matches so far, he has already scored three goals and provided one assist — three if you count drawing two penalties.
All three Roma goals have come from quick counter-attacking plays where the Ivorian could take advantage of the opposition defense’s frantic backtracking. The run for his second goal against Bologna was so impressive that opposition defender Mikael Antonsson could only watch on his stomach as the ball entered the goal.
Uh-huh... the question of the moment is not whether Gnabry should start ahead of someone else in the team, but whether Gervinho should have been the one replacing Gnabry to start instead... :lol: :eek:ops: :mrgreen:

arshy9

Established Member
Gervinho was our only senior natural winger.

His movement was very good but his decision making and shooting was worse than an amateur's.

Probably needed more confidence.I didn't consider him 'Deadwood'.Unplayable on his day.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I really liked Gervinho but ..... if he needs constant coddling to perform he would never make it here . There is constant pressure and expectation including the crowd . The ones that absorb the pressure and the stick from the crowd thrive . Those that don't just aren't cut out for the top .

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Rain Dance said:
Agree with Jury here, too many captain hindsight.
Had it been Gnabry started and we still get a draw, most will cry about "tactical error" of not playing the same team that won against Napoli
Dunno about the hindsight thing. There were some discussions after the Napoli game about whether we could use the same kind of formation/players in the prem, and the general consensus seemed to be that it wouldn't quite work. We've been ticking nicely in the prem with Ramsey playing through the middle, no need to change that to accommodate either Flamini or Arteta.

Arsenal Quotes

I always wanted to play in English football and Arsenal and Highbury IS English football to me.

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom