• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL| West Brom v Arsenal, 06/10, 4pm, SS1

blaze_of_glory

We were definitely screwed on the no pk calls, but at least Mason had the dignity not to call Kos when whathisname dove like little ***** at the end there.

So far you could make a strong argument that we've only dropped points in the league due to refereeing incompetency. I know you can't rely on pks to be called in order to get wins but the fact is that if Mason had done his job right we would have almost certainly scored a second goal. And the Villa game needs no explanation, even the FA acknowledged that we were screwed by demoting whover that idiot in charge was.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
redwhiteAustrian said:
Ah sorry, you're right Mark, it was just outside the box. Of course Sessegnon went down easily, but we've seen FKs being given for even less.

The ref you're refering to was Mike Dean I think, when Saha scored in 2012 (1-0).

Yup you're right, I actually forgot Saha played for them. Always associate him with Fulham/ManUre.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Taylor Gang Gunners said:
He played for Everton and Sunderland too! :lol:

I know that :wink:

It's just that he stopped being relevant when he left ManUre imo, a shadow of the footballer he was previously.

Well, he must've been a shadow for that **** of a ref to not see him clearly offside for Everton against us.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It's funny. Before this game, pretty much all the discussion on the forum was about not playing the same type of game that we played against Napoli, in that we needed some width against a Prem team. I think Wenger missed a trick by not playing Gnabry. Whilst a kid was saving Man U, we didn't take a risk with ours. Yes, he hasn't got a ton of experience at the topmost level but against Swansea, he was very good defensively and his few real forays forward were very incisive. The Flamini- Arteta axis might come good but I think it takes something away from our attack. I think Ramsey-Flamini in the middle is currently our best central midfield, form-wise, at least.

k24bfan

I thought the Arteta/Flam would give us good defensive balance perhaps against Dortmund that would be the better line up but in the PL we are going to need to add extra width to get those goals. I suspect Arteta may be hitting bench soon if he doesn't start getting in form.

boyinneedofhumor

kofigunner said:
I think Wenger missed a trick by not playing Gnabry. Whilst a kid was saving Man U, we didn't take a risk with ours. Yes, he hasn't got a ton of experience at the topmost level but against Swansea, he was very good defensively and his few real forays forward were very incisive. The Flamini- Arteta axis might come good but I think it takes something away from our attack. I think Ramsey-Flamini in the middle is currently our best central midfield, form-wise, at least.
Giroud
Wilshere-Özil-Ramsey
Arteta-Flamini

Sounds like a rather dangerous suggestion, whoever you leave out from the starting lineup in order to accommodate Gnabry.
I'm thinking it might be less controversial if what you meant is that we could have sent Gnabry on at some point.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Nah, you play one of Arteta/Flamini alongside Ramsey at CM/DM and Gnabry on the right. Might be a little exposed against the better European sides but is better in the league for me.

Inthe blood

Established Member
Playing the PL's best CM out wide makes little to no sense, we had options with Rosicky and Gnarby and for me Rosicky should have started. Arteta and Flamini should not really be playing in fixtures where we need players to carry the ball forward, they are far too laboured in possession passing sideways rather than seeking out Özil or Giroud with a quick look up.

It worked against Napoli because they managed really well to keep out Napoli's swift counter attacks, they had little influence on our general attacking play.

mo50

Established Member
This system worked so well against Napoli it was worth giving it another go. We are desperately lacking width though, so Gnabry should be starting the next league game. Ramsey should then be partnered with one of Flamini/Arteta, and the other on the bench. We could continue playing an AM on the left side with Özil through the middle.

Hopefully Cazorla and Theo will be back. Top of the league without those two is a huge achievement tbh.

Floating

Established Member
Hindsight is 20/20 and all that. The formula worked brilliantly against Napoli and we played some of the most exquisite football in years - there would have been groans all around if Wenger changed the lineup.

We also don't know if Rosicky was fit enough to start another game a few days after the last.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Rosicky should have started this game, Rosicky should start every game till Cazorla, Walcott come back

Floating

Established Member
jmsmtthw28 said:
Rosicky should have started this game, Rosicky should start every game till Cazorla, Walcott come back

He had just played against Napoli after returning from a thigh injury with a massive history of muscular injuries. He probably wasn't fit enough to start two games in a few days, or Wenger didn't want to risk it.

beck

Established Member
CurryFlavoured said:
jmsmtthw28 said:
Vermaelen is a very good defender, no problem with Vermaelen giving Mertesacker a rest

I can't remember seeing a genuinely solid defensive performance from the Verm-Kos CB partnership, they were generally a bit of a shambles. Especially against a big lump like Anichebe I don't want to see Per rested.
when anichebe was at everton
11/12
everton 0 arsenal 1
koscielny was very good
vermaelen was superb and scored our winner

beck

Established Member
CurryFlavoured said:
It'll be interesting to see how we react to going behind, will we run around like headless chickens losing any positional sense like against Villa or last season or have things changed.
last season
1 down in montpellier won 2-1
1 down at city drew 1-1
1 down at west ham won 3-1
4 down at reading won 7-5
1 down v Sp**s won 5-2
1 down at bradford drew 1-1
1 down at southampton drew 1-1
1 down at swansea drew 2-2
1 down to west ham won 5-1
2 down to liverpool drew 2-2
1 down to norwich won 3-1

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
DJ_Markstar said:
Nah, you play one of Arteta/Flamini alongside Ramsey at CM/DM and Gnabry on the right. Might be a little exposed against the better European sides but is better in the league for me.

This is spot on.

In Europe and away to the top 3 clubs in the league, I am happy to see Arteta and Flamini start if the aim is to get through the first 45 without conceding too many chances. At any other time however, we should not see both Flamini and Arteta playing next to each other, particularly whilst we don't have a complete center forward who isn't reliant on the support and service he receives from midfield. Giroud is next to useless if there aren't players running off him, so having both Arteta and Flamini sitting deep makes no sense to me.

Wenger made a big mistake in not starting Gnabry. You are only as good as your last game and in Gnabry's last game he won us the match against Swansea. Starting Gnabry would have allowed Ramsey to shift central and give us that drive from midfield that we required.

I still, 4 days later, have no idea why we set up with such an unadventurous midfield against WBA.

Arsenal Quotes

I play on the right, Tony on the left and we'll deal with whoever comes along, big or small

Martin Keown
Top Bottom