• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

For those that have never heard it

Brian Moore: The clock shows two minutes to go. Arsenal fans imploring their team with "come on you yellows", they want that second important goal and suddenly the break is on, Beardsley leading the charge. Aldridge in a perfect position on the far side, but Lukic is there, he’ll want to get the ball forward quickly. Richardson is down with a leg injury and he’s still down and Arsenal want to go on. 41,783 is the crowd here at Anfield and not a soul has left before the final whistle you can be sure. Treatment for Kevin Richardson. Unless there is an amazing and dramatic twist now it looks like Liverpool David.

David Pleat: Yes I think they’ve set out, they’ve been very professional tonight, they’ve made certain of doing their job, they’ve defended very well in the second half when Arsenal have powered forward in search of the second goal. Barnes who has probably been as creative and as brilliant player for them at times this season has been mainly defending this half and quite happy to do so. And that will all be worthwhile if in a couple of minutes time they’ve won the Championship.

Brian Moore: Well theres John Barnes saying "come on" as he shouts to his team mates. John Aldridge over there. Lets just keep it going for a few seconds more. Richardson is down again, presumably he’ll have to go off and remember Arsenal have both their substitutes already on. One minute to go. McMahon has got the word from the Kop obviously. But nobody knows quite how much time the referee will add on. But there’s a real competitor, a man that really has earned a Championship medal.

David Pleat: I think in a way if Arsenal are to lose a Championship having had such a lead at one time its somewhat poetic justice that they have got the result on the last day even if their not to win it.

Brian Moore: They would see that as small consolation David, but has you can see we are well into time added on. Just a few seconds away now for Kenny Dalglish unless Arsenal can mount something absolutely spectacular in the few seconds that remain. Nichols in there, Barnes is in there, Adams has stopped him, Barnes has beaten Adams, Aldridge is waiting at the far side, Adams is after his man but Barnes will not be denied, yes he will by Richardson moments ago down and injured.

Arsenal come streaming forward now in surely what will be their last attack. A good ball by Dixon finding Smith, for Thomas charging through the midfield, Thomas, its up for grabs now! Thomas right at the end. An unbelievable climax to the League season.

We’re well into injury time. The Liverpool players are down, absolutely abject! Aldridge is down, Barnes is down, Dalglish just stands there, Nichols on his knees, McMahons on his knees, suddenly it was Michael Thomas, bursting through, the bounce fell his way, he flicks it wide of Grobbellar and we have the most dramatic finish maybe in the history of the Football League. The top two challenging on the night, and the title possibly decided in the last minute of the whole season, but wait a moment Whealan turning it in and Thomas gets it back to Lukic. We’ve played nearly two minutes of injury time. George Graham would love to get out there and play himself and so would Kenny Dalglish, its agony for them and for the fans, as Liverpool now for so long it seemed in command. Except! The final whistle. Arsenal the Champions. A momentous occasion this for Arsenal, coming here requiring a two goal lead and snatched it in the most dramatic fashion in the last minute of the game.

A hammer blow for Liverpool, for the likes of John Barnes who over the season has produced football of the most majestic standard. David O’Leary helps Aldridge to his feet and Aldridge wasn’t too happy with that. The Kop bravely and gamely applauding their heroes. But the winners are Arsenal who have gone over to their fans. And they came it seems without a chance, but the Gunners have kept their powder dry until it really matters. They’ve denied Liverpool the League and Cup Double, Arsenal the Champions for the first time since 1971, the ninth time in their history, the first team to win by two goals here at Anfield since 1986, a super human effort against the odds and achieved with that goal in the last minute by Michael Thomas.

Arnie

thanks for that. Brings back the memories i never had!! :cry:

I wish i was alive to see it.

I noticed he said arsenal have used both their substitutes!! Did they only have two in those days??

Sigun

Ljungberg with the shot!!!!!! the keeper can only parry!!!! WILTORD FROM 7 YARDS!!!!!!! HAS SURLY WON THE LEAGUE FOR ARSENAL!!!

Mark

Established Member
Wish I had been old enough to appreciate it. Sadly I was just one year old at the time...and asleep. :p

Sigun

Mark said:
Wish I had been old enough to appreciate it. Sadly I was just one year old at the time...and asleep. :p

wow...your 15-16 and already an Arsenal Mania Op, you must be proud..

Arsenal Quotes

My job is to give people who work hard all week something to enjoy on Saturdays and Wednesdays

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom