• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Martinelli: Top Tear

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaffBR

Designer of fancy pyramids

Player:White
He's far far better when playing as a striker. Has lost his confidence playing out wide. Just like Auba.

This is a huge misconception.

He didn't played as LW (or out wide) last match. He played as striker or somewhere in the middle of nonwhere in the midfield, as some kind of second striker (and struggled to receive any service as the team just can pass out wide, a bit like Balogun in fact and many times in the last season). Tierney played LW.

Martinelli could've played as LW last match and he did vs Chelsea last season, Newcastle and Fulham (if I'm not in mistake) and had the role of Tierney offensively, he just didn't played there.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I don’t know how it’s come about that he’s a winger. His first appearances under Emery he was playing up front and scored the majority of his goals there. For Brazil in the Olympics he was playing up top in a two when he got on.

He doesn’t have the dribbling or 1v1 ability to play out wide, he’s a striker in the Luis Suarez mold - CLEARLY nowhere near that level, but that’s how he needs to be used.
Same with Aubameyang, not a fan of it. Makes it harder to create chances, and that's already a problem of ours to begin with.

mirrorstare

Lot of discussion for just one game where he was supposed to be on holiday.

I guess you're right anyway, he might be in danger of getting ruined by Arteta if he keeps getting regular gametime. A better more experienced player got destroyed by the same tactics.

HaffBR

Let the man plays like a truly left sided player, he did very well there last season or then up top, not in this pseudo CAM/SS waiting for the cross role that already killed Auba.

HaffBR

Let the man plays like a truly left sided player, he did very well there last season or then up top, not in this pseudo CAM/SS waiting for the cross role that already killed Auba.

But I know the idea is Tierney attacking LB and ESR in this left attacking midfielder position with Ødegaard as a right attaking midfielder, so the chance is that Arteta is just burning Martinelli in this role.

------------- Auba/Laca ---------------
Tierney --- ESR --- Ødegaard - Saka (Pepe)

While Martinelli is also suited as CF because of his pressure, he is better as LW imo, but any of these positions before this CAM role there, as his qualities and his style of play aren't the ideal there.

HaffBR

Let's hope he improves and can express himself in the next games. We need this kind of hungry and capable player

It depends a lot on where he is going to be employed. If it's going to be Tierney getting the ball on the line and he's staying somewhere in midfield, he won't stand out imo. As an striker, it can be, but he still lacks the physical strength to play there imo. So depends. His best chances is playing as LW, as a real dominant player on the left.

But yes he will get better, he didn't do the pre-season and probably in a month he will be better.

blrgooner

Established Member
It depends a lot on where he is going to be employed. If it's going to be Tierney getting the ball on the line and he's staying somewhere in midfield, he won't stand out imo. As an striker, it can be, but he still lacks the physical strength to play there imo. So depends. His best chances is playing as LW, as a real dominant player on the left.

But yes he will get better, he didn't do the pre-season and probably in a month he will be better.
I think physical strength is often over rated for strikers. Many of the best strikers in the recent past have not been huge and strong. Martinelli can be a striker IMO as long as he doesn`t need to play with the back towards the goal and hold up the ball.
I think he can be a backup to Auba and play the same role which is to drift left and make runs into space inside the box to finish chances.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think physical strength is often over rated for strikers. Many of the best strikers in the recent past have not been huge and strong. Martinelli can be a striker IMO as long as he doesn`t need to play with the back towards the goal and hold up the ball.
I think he can be a backup to Auba and play the same role which is to drift left and make runs into space inside the box to finish chances.

Any examples? I'd say I'd you look at the top center forwards, they're often above 6ft and can make the difference physically. Lewandowski, Benzema, Kane, Costa, Cavani, Suarez, RVP, Auba, Haaland ect are all 6ft or above. I think Aguero is the main exception, but he could make the difference physically with his short burst of acceleration over a few yards.

Re Martenlli, physically he's got the tools, it's more his understand of the game and on the ball work that needs refining imo.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He's still only 20, so he has plenty of time...wouldn't give up on him playing the left yet.

He just had a bad game on the weekend, nothing more...the attack was too young in general, tbh.

blrgooner

Established Member
Any examples? I'd say I'd you look at the top center forwards, they're often above 6ft and can make the difference physically. Lewandowski, Benzema, Kane, Costa, Cavani, Suarez, RVP, Auba, Haaland ect are all 6ft or above. I think Aguero is the main exception, but he could make the difference physically with his short burst of acceleration over a few yards.

Re Martenlli, physically he's got the tools, it's more his understand of the game and on the ball work that needs refining imo.
Well in that list itself, Auba for example is not really strong. Neither was RVP. Aguero, Suarez are of course obvious examples.
This is not talking about poacher kind of strikers like RVN or Eduardo.
Agree on Martinelli having the tools physically, He is a finisher and not a build up player though. Whether he is playing from the left or up front, his game is always going to be getting into the end of things.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Well in that list itself, Auba for example is not really strong. Neither was RVP. Aguero, Suarez are of course obvious examples.
This is not talking about poacher kind of strikers like RVN or Eduardo.
Agree on Martinelli having the tools physically, He is a finisher and not a build up player though. Whether he is playing from the left or up front, his game is always going to be getting into the end of things.

They all had the ability to challenge CBs 1v1 physically, whether that be running in behind or holding the ball.

But yeah I agree, you don't really want Martinelli involved in build up mutch, he is guy you use as an outlet.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If we had a system like Liverpool's, Martinelli and Pepe would be a constant threat.

Instead, both play like full backs.

Yeah, I think we'd need a guy to be able to play 9 and drop into the midfield though to allow them to stay high, Martinez for example. Martinelli-Martinez-Pepe could possibly be a poor man's Mane-Firmino-Salah, provided we have a manager that could utilise them properly. I think Auba and Martinelli could be interchangeable on the left in that role as well.

I'd like to see:

White-Gabriel-Tierney
RWB-CM-Partey-Saka
Pepe-CF-Auba/Martinelli

I think that team would have the ability to play really high intensity football under the right manager, something we should be aiming for given we have 1 game a week. Unfortunately it seems Arteta is determined to enforce this slow build up style.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Yeah, I think we'd need a guy to be able to play 9 and drop into the midfield though to allow them to stay high, Martinez for example. Martinelli-Martinez-Pepe could possibly be a poor man's Mane-Firmino-Salah, provided we have a manager that could utilise them properly. I think Auba and Martinelli could be interchangeable on the left in that role as well.

I'd like to see:

White-Gabriel-Tierney
RWB-CM-Partey-Saka
Pepe-CF-Auba/Martinelli

I think that team would have the ability to play really high intensity football under the right manager, something we should be aiming for given we have 1 game a week. Unfortunately it seems Arteta is determined to enforce this slow build up style.

I'd just like to see us play 10 yards further up the pitch bro. The defence and midfield are too deep, which forces our forwards to drop back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Religiously, it is said that God created man. I am only a guide. I allow others to express what they have in them. I have not created anything. I am a facilitator of what is beautiful in man.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom