• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,775
  • Views 1,159,204

Eirico

That West Ham side were an experienced one with Spector, Faubert, McCarthy, Stech, Tomkins and Stanislas all in the starting eleven. Impressive stuff from our reserves and particulary JET. What does he have to do to get game time for our first team? He's destroying the reserve league atm and looked very promising in preseason. If he doesn't start against Newcastle in CC I will be really shocked.

KY

Established Member
With Wilshere out, it might still not be a guarantee that JET will play if Wenger wants to give match practice to Bendtner, Vela and Walcott. But chances seem pretty good at this rate and I really hope he plays. and show Carroll what the title "promising youngster" really means. :D

Eirico

@Don Pacifico: Think Arsenal are trying to protect/hide the youngsters. First they stopped showing the games on ArsenalTV, and now this. Next season probably more games will go at Colney and even more the year after. In the future we might not have heard about any of our youngsters before they break through.

How many goals were the most that Bendtner and Lupoli scored at this level btw? JET has 8 goals in 5 reserve games so far, Aneke 5 goals. I can see JET breaking a record here if he keeps playing for the reserves this season.

dbig

The official reason is that the pitch at Underhill is usually too hard and uneven in the colder months. Not conducive for our passing game.

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member
I think, the official reason is right. We are reasonably immune to getting our players poached. Any attention from smaller clubs would only be good for we can send our reserve players to loans. Media is never going to hype up anyone before they've played in the first team.

Don't see the necessity for any secrecy here.

ricky1985

Established Member
Just watched the Reserves highlights :shock:

Absolutely tore a good West Ham side to pieces. Just such great football, too. Would love to have seen the whole match. Everyone seemed to play well, with Lansbury, Eastmond, Aneke, and of course, Emmanuel-Thomas, really looking good. I'd wager each of those players will make it here at Arsenal, a few others who were playing, too. Not all as stars in the First XI, but squad options for years to come. Wenger has done such an incredible job with them, and the Academy in general.

For those that aren't getting to see anything of the Reserves, I feel I need to explain to you just how good Jay Emmanuel-Thomas is at the moment. I've always had my doubts about the guy, wondering whether in the youth teams it was his amazing physique that made him so good - but he's blossomed as a player, and has shown, without doubt, that he has so much more to his game than just raw power.

He is tearing it up, another hattrick against West Ham, that's 9 goals in his 5 games so far. People will say "it's only the Reserves," and there is some truth to that, but yesterday, for example, West Ham had James Tompkins, Julien Faubert, Jonathan Spector, Junior Stanislas, Benni McCarthy - all in the starting line-up. Players with lots of Premier League experience - and he still took them to the cleaners. He's playing from the right side, Walcott's role in the first team, and he's scoring all kinds of goals, beating 3-4 men at a time, carrying the ball at high speed over long distances, playing clever passes, linking with the other midfielders and forwards - showing no areas of weakness in his game. He's so powerful running with the ball, seems to have gained a yard of speed as he's grown into his body.

I hope he gets his chance against Newcastle next week, and shows everyone what he can do. If he can get anywhere near replicating his Reserves form for the First team, he'll be one hell of a player.

Also must mention Jernade Meade, who has recently been moved to left back, and had another impressive game.

Eirico

Meade is an interesting one, looks like he is going the Gibbs route from LW and CM to LB. He's fast, intelligent, good technique and has a good passing ability. And he's not afraid to go into a challenge. But he's very small, isn't he? That could be the biggest doubt about him playing LB. He will have to bulk up a lot in the coming years.

One thing I don't get is why Nordtveit is playing RB and Hoyte CB. Nordtveit has more potential at CB imo, and Hoyte will never make here so this makes no sense to me.

Don Pacifico

Established Member
That is a weird one Eirico. I'd hope the one up-shot of Vermaelen's injury is that we try and blood Nordtveit into the squad via a place in the starting line-up against Newcastle. He's another youth who Wenger seems to have forgotten about and is one that I've always liked. Looked very competent in an unfamiliar position and I see no reason (other than perhaps his physique) why he shouldn't be considered an option at CB.

As for Meade, it's interesting to hear that he's been switched to FB. I haven't renewed my ATVO subscription (money is tight) but he looked really exciting in the highlights I saw of him, one of the stand-out players in fact. But as you say, he is very small although he's still got a bit of time on his side.

Chass

JET is really starting to excite me now ala Wilshere against West Ham 07/08. Just when you think he can't amass his previous reserve performances, he goes and bangs a magnificent hat-trick. The fact that he is even more powerful, pacy and technically proficient makes me really believe he will have a great future here.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
It was a great hattrick from JET. I'm sure we'll see him contribute a fair bit to the first team this season. I know some have had doubts about him but apart from Szczesny he's easily the most obvious talent we have for the near future.

KY

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
It was a great hattrick from JET. I'm sure we'll see him contribute a fair bit to the first team this season. I know some have had doubts about him but apart from Szczesny he's easily the most obvious talent we have for the near future.

aside from maybe aneke and afobe?

otfgoon

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:

I've had a lot of doubts about him but he's starting to win me over.

I still have doubts about his attitude and where he fits into the team.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
KY said:
Klaus Daimler said:

aside from maybe aneke and afobe?
I think they're at least a couple of years away from contributing anything to the first team, just like Bartley and Coquelin. JET could probably do a job tomorrow if he's called upon.

ricky1985

Established Member
Chass said:
JET is really starting to excite me now ala Wilshere against West Ham 07/08. Just when you think he can't amass his previous reserve performances, he goes and bangs a magnificent hat-trick. The fact that he is even more powerful, pacy and technically proficient makes me really believe he will have a great future here.
Yeah, I have to admit I was thinking "wow!" when I watched the highlights earlier. Still got to see how he does in the first team, but I have zero doubts about his talent and potential now.

@ Don.

Nordveit playing right back might actually be Arsène Wenger indirectly paying him a compliment/showing faith in his ability to contribute in the future. If he's going to be a proper centreback for Arsenal, the better his understanding of the different positions on the pitch and the roles they play, the better the centre back he will become. He's played both right back and defensive midfield in the Bundesliga, and is now getting some good game time and experience at right back for the Reserves. If Wenger didn't have big plans for him, he wouldn't go to all this trouble trying to further educate and round his game/skill-set off.

He's not ready right now, but it looks like Wenger feels he will be, or at least has the requisite ability to be.

ricky1985

Established Member
BTW - That West Ham Reserve side we obliterated was unbeaten this season, had won their last three games, and was yet to concede a goal.

Arsenal Quotes

In June 1996, David Dein, Peter Hill-Wood and Danny Fiszman came out to Nagoya to meet me on behalf of Arsenal. Within an hour we came to an agreement. The Japanese directors didn't try to keep hold of me in the usual way but talked with persuasive arguments... But as far as I was concerned, the decision was taken. Arsenal. A decision that would change my life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom