• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,775
  • Views 1,159,393

I'm hoping Nelson will start, but Crowley's return and Iwobi's subsequent return to the squad will probably mean he gets a place on the bench. Will certainly be an interesting watch!

Arsenal Under-19 team to play Dinamo Zagreb: Keto, Eyoma, Bola, Agyei-Tabi, O'Connor, Pleguezuelo, Hinds, Iwobi, Malen, Nelson, Willock

Arsenal Under-19 substitutes: Robinson, Huddart, Sheaf, Bielik, Mavididi, Fortune, Bennacer

Nelson starts, that insane from him with all the players available.

Crowley could very well be on the bench to night against Zagreb.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Tough game. Zagreb have defended manfully.

Most impressive players have been Tabi, Willock and Nelson. Iwobi has done well too. Nelson though, just looks so comfortable. Again, I must reiterate......he is 15!

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Finished 2-1 to Zagreb. Frustrating 2nd half IMO. Didn't really click in terms of creating chances. Willock and Nelson the most impressive, although Nelson tired a bit towards the end. His replacement, Mavididi, scored our goal.

Finished 2-1 to Zagreb. Frustrating 2nd half IMO. Didn't really click in terms of creating chances. Willock and Nelson the most impressive, although Nelson tired a bit towards the end. His replacement, Mavididi, scored our goal.

Think we lacked a true playmaker in the end in our line-up. Lots of experimenting with the line up I thought.

I agree on Willock and Nelson. Tabi also impressed me. Iwobi did fine, should be playing on higher level though.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐

Horrendous defending for the first goal, stood off way too much, dreadful. I think Ismael Bennacer has something about him though.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Think we lacked a true playmaker in the end in our line-up. Lots of experimenting with the line up I thought.

I agree on Willock and Nelson. Tabi also impressed me. Iwobi did fine, should be playing on higher level though.
Thought we missed Sheaf to be honest. His passing from deep is an asset. Also, on playmaking, the staff seem intent on playing Nelson in the hole, which I suppose is an indication of just how much confidence they have in him.

Horrendous defending for the first goal, stood off way too much, dreadful. I think Ismael Bennacer has something about him though.
Agreed. Very poor defending.

I like Bennacer too, lots of work rate and technique.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
http://player.arsenal.com/matches/g818260/video/7084/under-18s-v-west-ham-a

U18s drew with West Ham on Saturday. Lots of the U19 team were rested. Nketiah scored 2 goals - really is impressing me greatly. Very good technique, good goalscorer and clever movement. Seems to have gone strength to strength since Henry joined the staff. Fortune looked decent in the highlights of this one aswell. Another of our strikers that joined this summer however....

http://player.arsenal.com/matches/g817575/video/7087/under-21s-v-brighton-a

Donyell Malen was a surprise start in this match ahead of Mavididi last night, but went onto score a very good goal in his first start at U21 level. He is still only 16. Very exciting talent. Sheaf scored a free-kick in this game and looked a level above technically. Jeff had a good game too it appears. The academy is doing better this year and we now have a number of midfield and attacking talents in the current U21/U18 side who could go on to become members of our first team squad if given the opportunity.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Chambers played in midfield didn't he? Don't remember this happening before, perhaps we're seriously considering using him there.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Chambers played in midfield didn't he? Don't remember this happening before, perhaps we're seriously considering using him there.
Yeah, Wenger clearly wanted him to have a run at the position. According to Steve Gatting, he was "excellent all game", so draw from that what you will. Chambers has to become more press resistant on the ball though - it appears he is in need of some confidence because I never really saw that as a weakness in his game.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
That Malen goal was something special, great 1st touch, pace and calm finish. He looks really promising.
Looks to have a good all-round game for a forward and plays with energy. He may even be ahead of Mavididi in the pecking order. Feel for Nketiah a bit though, he's been on fire this season.

tim08

http://player.arsenal.com/videos/7102/under-18s-v-west-brom-h

Highlights of the Youth Cup game on Friday evening for our U18s. Finished 4-1 to us. Willock had a good game and was namedropped by Wenger on Saturday as doing very well in training (along with everyone's new favorite, Jeff!).

Jeff, Sheaf, Malen and Mavididi scored the goals. Sheaf also missed a pen and played at right back.

Some really impressive stuff there. Malen has really impressed me, is only 16 and very small but is so quick both across the ground and with his feet, can finish too. Willock has really impressed me with how much he's improved physically, there's a clip from the 1st half in which he holds off an incoming challenge and sends the guy to the floor just with his upper body strength.

The only thing that could let down this youth side is the defending, Da Graca has two left feet, Sheaf is a tidy player but is filling in at RB and even Keto who is usually quite reliable was caught flapping for their goal.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Some really impressive stuff there. Malen has really impressed me, is only 16 and very small but is so quick both across the ground and with his feet, can finish too. Willock has really impressed me with how much he's improved physically, there's a clip from the 1st half in which he holds off an incoming challenge and sends the guy to the floor just with his upper body strength.

The only thing that could let down this youth side is the defending, Da Graca has two left feet, Sheaf is a tidy player but is filling in at RB and even Keto who is usually quite reliable was caught flapping for their goal.

Malen isn't actually that small to be fair. He's around 5'10, so while he's not as developed as someone like Akpom was at the same age, he's still got good physical presence. He's pretty quick across the ground though, and appears to be a smart player, works channels well and has already built up good links with the midfielders he plays with. I'm liking his composure in the final 3rd though, could be a useful asset.

As for Willock, he continues to impress me. While I think he still needs to have a more consistent end product, he's becoming more effective even without it. His dribbling will always be a highlight, but he's not only become taller (5'11 I think) but much stronger aswell and seems to be holding off challenges with growing ease. His technical ability and skill is clearly of a high level - as with all youngsters, it's the mental stages which will determine how far he goes. The way Wenger was talking though, I think he's entertaining the possibility of Willock at CM - which I'm not sure is the best way for him to go.

The way Wenger was talking though, I think he's entertaining the possibility of Willock at CM - which I'm not sure is the best way for him to go.

I wonder if the reason why Wenger sees Willock and Jeff as midfielders is because their lack of end product.

Willock tactical play has improved a lot this season.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I wonder if the reason why Wenger sees Willock and Jeff as midfielders is because their lack of end product.

Willock tactical play has improved a lot this season.
I think he believes them to be excellent transitional players without necessarily being the players on the end of things, hence why he thinks midfield could be their calling. Willock appears to see himself further forward though, and models himself more on Neymar, a player he clearly admires. Willock would have to score and assist more goals IMO, and become more of a threat in the final 3rd. I see that more in Reiss Nelson currently, but Willock certainly has the quality to be a devastating attacker with his ability to take players out of the game.

Jeff is very similar to Willock in this regard, although he has the extra physicality and explosiveness that helps him. It's easy to see him in a midfield position, but I think he could also excel further forward.

Last edited:

Santi's Left Foot

No Longer Sleeping in Theo's bed
U19 are currently 2-0 down to Olympicacos at half time. Can't comment on the match as i've only just started watching. Looks like Arsenal are 1 goal better off on goal difference if that is how it works.

Arsenal Quotes

At some clubs success is accidental. At Arsenal it is compulsory.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom