• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,778
  • Views 1,164,046

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Much needed for them. So many close games that resulted in loss.

I'm hoping they will have much stronger second half of the season. Because this team got a lot of talent!
They had stronger players today, with Nelson+Willock back in the team along with Mavididi at number 9 and Zelalem playing behind with Bennacer. Hinds is also a very strong player at this level, and is an interesting talent himself. I reckon a loan would be good for him, as despite his injury problems, he is consistently good.

Intriguingly, Maitland-Niles was the only U23 regular absent, meaning he's most likely traveling with the squad tomorrow - maybe as backup.

North5

Here since 2009. Unlike Cornavirus.

AMN really does have all the makings of a defensively astute all action mid fielder. Lad has a natural eye for positioning and has a hell of a motor. Was just a bit too keen to impress yesterday and overplayed his hand a few times, but for me that show's ambition. He could have played safe denilson ball.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
http://player.arsenal.com/matches/g879761/video/8516/under-18s-v-norwich-h

Here's the U18 game from Saturday. We won 1-0, with Nketiah scoring.

Some really nice football played from the small clips there. Da Silva and McGuane are bossing U18 level football - will soon be time for them to play U23 football once Maitland-Niles and Zelalem move up to first team football on a more permanent basis. The two players are similar in that they have played together for a bit now and struck up a nice partnership. McGuane is a good ball-winner who is very tidy in possession and Da Silva is a powerful athlete who is technically capable and has good defensive and attacking qualities.

I'd have thought Sheaf would have been the midfielder to really make a mark upon my first impression of seeing him, but - like Bielik - he seems to have really taken to the CB position, perhaps even quicker than Bielik himself. He almost looks natural there - blocking shots, making timely interventions and winning aerial battles with ease - and with his distribution skills and his height (6'2), could actually be a masterstroke putting him there. Still only 18.

I'd have thought Sheaf would have been the midfielder to really make a mark upon my first impression of seeing him, but - like Bielik - he seems to have really taken to the CB position, perhaps even quicker than Bielik himself. He almost looks natural there - blocking shots, making timely interventions and winning aerial battles with ease - and with his distribution skills and his height (6'2), could actually be a masterstroke putting him there. Still only 18.

Another player who can play a numerous positions up to decent degree. Already made bench with the first team. Wenger always rated these kind of youngsters and now they seems to be coming off assembly line for him.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Another player who can play a numerous positions up to decent degree. Already made bench with the first team. Wenger always rated these kind of youngsters and now they seems to be coming off assembly line for him.
Sheaf's an interesting talent IMO. Great physique and great technical skill. Lots of running power aswell. Like AMN, no real weakness. I'd say AMN is probably slightly more tactically astute, whereas Sheaf probably shades it in terms of strength and power. Sheaf's issue is he has competition all over the place. He looks better at right back than AMN does IMO, so that's a decent spot for him depending on Bellerin/Jenkinson. I like him as a DM, has the tackling and a great passing range. Bit like Xhaka with less sh!thousery - but I reckon he would have to leave to get that spot.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Looks like Sheaf has been converted to a CB for the reserves, and has been doing really well there.

If he can learn all the ins and outs of defending at the top level, his technical ability could set him apart.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Looks like Sheaf has been converted to a CB for the reserves, and has been doing really well there.

If he can learn all the ins and outs of defending at the top level, his technical ability could set him apart.

Both Bielik and Sheaf look impervious at U23 level despite being midfielders originally. They are 6 foot plus, powerful and very good technically. Both actually seem to look decent defending on the front foot - I've seen both of them step forward and intercept quite quickly despite being big guys. They might be tall but they are no Mertesackers! Highly intriguing to see what happens with them in the future. Add to their current successful transition with the signing of Rob Holding who looks very promising, Mustafi only being 24 and looking like Kos-lite, and Chambers still looking to cement a position for himself when he eventually returns and we suddenly have an overload of CBs.

We really desperately need a left-back to come through though. Our only left back of any note coming through is Marc Bola. Tafari Moore also plays there but he's basically a right back. Chiori Johnson is also a right back and looks very talented himself. We tried Tyrell Robinson there, but he's a winger through and through. I think someone is gonna end up dropping back into that position sooner or later. It could be someone completely out of leftfield.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

RE: Maitland-Niles, I just had a thought:

Wenger in an interview before the game said that AMN's best position is defensive midfield (Jeorge Bird, interestingly, disagrees and says it is right wing), and described him as quick, sharp technically, and good at winning the ball.........what if Wenger is trying to get him to play a bit more like Coquelin?

Winning the ball higher up the field and, owing to his more natural attacking tendencies, actually having the capacity to damage the opposition? He did not really show it much in the game last night (I thought he was careless with the ball personally) but I feel that will come once he is more settled in a first team environment, which I believe will happen sooner rather than later. I can possibly see where Wenger's going with this, and why he likes AMN so much.

And it is the defensive side of his game that actually shined more than what he did on the ball. Interesting indeed.........
If this actually happens then I tip my hat to you sir.
He's incredibly well rounded, we commented on having a lot of 7/10 midfield partnerships.

AMN is interesting because he could partner any of our midfielders, he really could.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
If this actually happens then I tip my hat to you sir.
He's incredibly well rounded, we commented on having a lot of 7/10 midfield partnerships.

AMN is interesting because he could partner any of our midfielders, he really could.
AMN is much better technically than people think. Can use both feet and usually is an astute passer of the ball. I think if Wenger sees him as a Coquelin understudy, it would be a complement to both our attack and defense if he develops the way I think he will with this particular project in mind.

Saying that, I would also cast an eye at Zelalem too, as he has developed very well of late, but hasn't been given the spotlight that AMN has been given.

we barely hear about Ismael, and he's already being called up...

Getting giddy with excitement for the reserves
Bennacer hasn't performed quite so well this season, but there is still time for his performances to improve. He has looked very overrun in the middle, and when he was moved outwide, he struggled offensively. He may be one of the players who end up moving to fullback. Initially, I thought Mourgos would be a left back aswell.

I'm quite excited about the academy at present though. The U18 team has shone thanks to some of the more experienced players like McGuane, Da Silva, Nketiah and Malen as well as schoolboys like Coyle. Trae Coyle is extremely exciting and he comes hot on the heels of Reiss Nelson's swift rise through the ranks.

Arsenal Quotes

I don’t look at the passport of people; I look at their quality and their attitude.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Monday, May 20

Thomas Partey is wanted by clubs in Saudi Arabia, with just one year left on his deal [Evening Standard]

Pedro Neto & Nico Williams are admired by the club, while they have also watched Amadou Onana and Martin Zubimendi this season [Evening Standard]

Cedric Soares confirms his departure from the club [Arsenal.com]

Borussia Dortmund will rival Arsenal to sign Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim]

Latest posts

Top Bottom