• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,775
  • Views 1,159,849

BobP

Memri Fan
@MutableEarth

Any idea what happened with Ovie Ejaria? Was with us since the age of 11 then left to join LFC. Can't see why we'd let him go, he looks an incredible talent.

You think so?

I watched him in the Carling Cup and he looked meh to say the least.

Furthermore, CM is probably the most difficult position to breakthrough in.

Liverpool also have a tendency of hyping up their talents, best to ignore them.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
You think so?

I watched him in the Carling Cup and he looked meh to say the least.

Furthermore, CM is probably the most difficult position to breakthrough in.

Liverpool also have a tendency of hyping up their talents, best to ignore them.

Yeah man, I've seen him a few times. He was a standout player for England U20 in the four nations tournament too. Good frame and has composure you can't really teach.

Agree 'Pool hype up their youngsters beyond belief, but in Sheyi Ojo, Ovie Ejaria and Ben Woodburn they've three legitimate reasons to be excited. Apparently Barca are looking at Woodburn.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
@MutableEarth

Any idea what happened with Ovie Ejaria? Was with us since the age of 11 then left to join LFC. Can't see why we'd let him go, he looks an incredible talent.
Technically we didnt let him go. He refused to sign a scholarship and left of his own accord. He most likely thought he stood a better chance of breaking through at Liverpool.

Ian Carlo Poveda was also at our academy for a short while. He then left for Barcas academy, then went to Brentford before ending up at Man Citys academy at the start of this season.

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
Ian Carlo Poveda was also at our academy for a short while. He then left for Barcas academy, then went to Brentford before ending up at Man Citys academy at the start of this season.
Brentford to Man City? Poor kid, his career went downhill quickly.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Have Barca ever signed a England based player that they have been said to be interested in?

They were once believed to be after Aneke and Afobe.

Yeah, Mutable just confirmed what I thought- Ian Poveda left us to join Barca. Apparently they were/are looking at our Omari Hutchinson and Man Utd's Angel Gomes. Joan Angel Roman is a player who left Man City's academy for Barca too.

Technically we didnt let him go. He refused to sign a scholarship and left of his own accord. He most likely thought he stood a better chance of breaking through at Liverpool.

Ahhh I thought as much. It's always frustrating for me to see a talented youngster leave us and flourish elsewhere. But if he wanted to leave we can't point the finger at anyone at Arsenal.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Brentford to Man City? Poor kid, his career went downhill quickly.
City's academy is full of talent right now. Poveda, Sancho and Diaz are probably the biggest talents there, along with Pat Roberts. They all stand decent chance of making it under the current regime, if Pep's legacy lasts there. It will be as big a disappointment as Chelsea if none of those players make a breakthrough.

Ahhh I thought as much. It's always frustrating for me to see a talented youngster leave us and flourish elsewhere. But if he wanted to leave we can't point the finger at anyone at Arsenal.
It is true. Same with Gnabry. He saw an opportunity for regular football and got out while he had 1 year on the deal and all the bargaining power. I'm sure Wenger did not want to let him go. Gnabry right now probably feels very vindicated by his decision too.

I think for us, in the case of Ejaria, he left the same time that Zelalem came in. Maitland-Niles also made his shift from central midfield and some time later we also signed Ben Sheaf from West Ham's academy. Since then, Josh DaSilva has been earmarked, as has McGuane, Kelechi Nwakali has also been signed in that time.......Ejaria is very good but a hotly contested position like CM and he would likely have been fighting for gametime even at youth level. He made the right choice for his development and now looks to be on the cusp of one of the more exciting teams in the PL currently.

I would be more worried if we let talent like Nelson, Coyle or Joe Willock go. We also did well to keep Chris Willock because a lot of teams are interested in him. Man United still want to sign him apparently, especially given Matty Willock plays there. So far, we're on the cusp of a good era with our academy so we need to keep a lot of them together, especially the ones who are Hale End.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
:lol: Debuchy scoring! Was a good finish too tbf.

https://arsenalyouth.wordpress.com/...son-impresses-as-arsenal-u23s-beat-tottenham/

Reading the report from Jeorge Bird. Reiss Nelson is at it again. Bird says he is "so often, the standout player for Arsenal at this level". Also happens to be the youngest (technically, Smith-Rowe is, as he made his U23 debut this year and he is a bit younger - but he's an U18s regular).

Still not 17 till next month. As young as he is, he should probably be even closer to the first team than he is currently.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

I have to be honest - the youth coverage is pathetic. We are fortunate that Jeorge Bird actually goes to games and tells people who actually played well. He waxed lyrical about Nelson but he doesn't even feature in the highlights, it's all Willock and Mavididi with the occasional shot of Sheaf and Zelalem.

Maybe I need to start going to some U23 games again :lol:

On the plus, Willock still looks dangerous. He needs a loan in January. Anymore time spent at this level and he will stagnate. I understand why Arsène kept them, especially with the jump in quality following the promotion, but guys like Maitland-Niles, Zelalem, Willock, Mavididi and even Nelson are totally bossing U23 football. They all need loans. Nelson turns pro in December, he becomes eligible for a loan. I don't really like the way the loan system works for our young players currently but for the aforementioned, they need more than U23 football is giving them right now.

On the plus, Willock still looks dangerous. He needs a loan in January. Anymore time spent at this level and he will stagnate. I understand why Arsène kept them, especially with the jump in quality following the promotion, but guys like Maitland-Niles, Zelalem, Willock, Mavididi and even Nelson are totally bossing U23 football. They all need loans. Nelson turns pro in December, he becomes eligible for a loan. I don't really like the way the loan system works for our young players currently but for the aforementioned, they need more than U23 football is giving them right now.

The loan system is tricky one. The loan needs to be perfectly picked otherwise it may do some damage to the players. Just look at Akpom and Gnabry for examples.

Anyway we will see probably some movement in this regard after Carling Cup is over.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
The loan system is tricky one. The loan needs to be perfectly picked otherwise it may do some damage to the players. Just look at Akpom and Gnabry for examples.

Anyway we will see probably some movement in this regard after Carling Cup is over.
We have Southampton next week. Chances are they'll get a few mins but I think that's a match Southampton will take seriously and we will probably lose that one. Then we should look at a decent short term loan. We have to go to teams who not only play similarly but have a need. Akpom went to Forest when they already had a young striker to develop - and he clearly didn't fit the style of play. Gnabry was similar but WBA did need a player of his ilk. That, and Gnabry wasn't completely fit.

An example of a good recent loan was Zelalem to Rangers. IMO he's come back much better and more combative. The quality of football wasn't challenging to him, but that wasn't why he went there. Rangers not only play decent football but the league was a highly physical one and he had to fight to impose himself. He's a better player for it.

Maitland-Niles went to a team that didn't suit him aswell but he still benefited somewhat - much of that down to his character I'd imagine. Wenger mentioned how settled he looks in a first team atmosphere and that he looks a man rather than a boy.

For me, a team like Bournemouth, where Wilshere is, is a good place to send some players. They're well stocked up front with Wilson and Afobe, but out wide - Stanislas and King can't play every game. They have Ryan Fraser aswell but maybe having a Willock on the bench additionally would be good for them. Same in CM - who do they have outside of the really good pairing of Gosling and Arter who could do a job?

We need to look at teams who play similar and have a need we can assist them with. Not just whoever will have them.

Arsenal Quotes

When I first came to Arsenal, I realised the back four were all university graduates in the art of defending. As for Tony Adams, I consider him to be a doctor of defence. He is simply outstanding.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom