• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,775
  • Views 1,160,817

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Another good piece by JB. Very good options all through the team, the midfield could be brilliant on the ball at least.

Afro Mugo

Most of them youth internationals, some of the best in their position in the country (at their age group). This is way stronger than even our 99 group. This could be the best since our Youth Cup winners in 08. I think only Chelsea's are potentially better, although I've heard Citys group are really strong.

Best thing about this group is the balance. Theres a player of every type here, including defence. You want powerful B2B? Bandeira. You want a quick defender? Monlouis. You want a ball playing CB who can play DM? Awe. You want a DLP? Patino. You want skillful attacking midfielders? Hutchinson AND Flores. You want a Balogun regen? Edwards. You want a quick tricky winger? Sagoe jnr. Even Edus son is different, as a CM. That's not even to mention Sweet, Norton-Cuffy, Foran etc.

They have none of the hype too, only Hutchinson will have that because of his freestyle videos. This is a very exciting group and I'm looking forward to seeing who from this group can make the step up in the future.
I think this group is the best team in the country with Man City. Chelsea's previous intake had most of their best 03 born talents. Their current intake might be slightly inferior though they have Jude Sonsuup-bell and Charlie Webster both born in 04 + some few others. Even I didn't expect all 16 players to get a scholarship. That Jack Henry-Francis is also a different type of MF . Very aggressive in tackling but also very good on the ball.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Another good piece by JB. Very good options all through the team, the midfield could be brilliant on the ball at least.
What happens on the wing will be interesting. Taylor-Hart will definitely be one of the starters if he isn't already playing for the U23s. If Flores doesn't go straight to #10, I'm sure we'll see him on the wing aswell. And then what of Hutchinson? I reckon he'll definitely get some starts. Butler-Oyedeji is also worthy of consideration as he was one of the better performers for us last season. I have a feeling that depending on the loan situation, we're gonna see a lot of Taylor-Hart and Butler-Oyedeji for the U23s, and Hutchinson will definitely start for the U18s going forward.

Then there's also CB. Awe will probably alternate between CB and CM next to Patino/Bandeira, and there'll be quite a bit of rotation at CB until they find a working partnership. It could end up being 2 of Awe/Foran/Monlouis, the new scholars - however, Kirk's been pretty good. I imagine that this years CBs will probably move up prematurely depending on loans and injuries. Medley and Clarke will definitely need loans next season which will leave huge holes at CB. And if McGuinness continues to struggle with fitness, Kirk and Ogungbo will probably be the main guys!!

The full back positions will be of significant interest. With Swanson most likely on the verge of a loan himself, the door is open for Dan Oyegoke to step in at U23 level. That leaves the door open for Brooke Norton-Cuffy to get extended minutes for the U18 team. However, LB is pretty bare - Jeffcott seems to be the sole LB. So there could be some positional changes made here and there to rotate at that position.

I think this group is the best team in the country with Man City. Chelsea's previous intake had most of their best 03 born talents. Their current intake might be slightly inferior though they have Jude Sonsuup-bell and Charlie Webster both born in 04 + some few others. Even I didn't expect all 16 players to get a scholarship. That Jack Henry-Francis is also a different type of MF . Very aggressive in tackling but also very good on the ball.
They've certainly been dominant in their age group compared to even the strong set-ups. The balance of technique and physique is pretty pronounced aswell. Per definitely made sure we kept the entire lot of them, they'll be very lucrative figuratively and literally in the next 5-10 years IMO. That was a smart move. The amount of potential in this group is staggering. They're almost all regular youth internationals. I'm really excited to see how they fare in the U18s next season and who steps up prematurely to the U23s. I heavily doubt we'll see many call-ups to the first team from either U18s or U23s - possibly Azeez but that's it IMO.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Likely promotions next season?

Balogun will likely leave, John-Jules should get a loan to the championship, Medley and Ballard need loans, Smith and Olayinka need loans too. I think only Smith Rowe stands a chance of being a first team member if he doesn’t go out on loan himself, though he was technically promoted last summer.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Likely promotions next season?

Balogun will likely leave, John-Jules should get a loan to the championship, Medley and Ballard need loans, Smith and Olayinka need loans too. I think only Smith Rowe stands a chance of being a first team member if he doesn’t go out on loan himself, though he was technically promoted last summer.
ESR is pretty firmly a first team squad player now. Nothing left for him in the U23 set-up. I don't think we'll see much of anybody who's currently U23 - even if Balogun signs, he's got a sea of bodies to bludgeon his way through w/out sales involved. The only person I can possibly think of is Miguel Azeez. He doesn't really need a loan because he's still 17 till September (only person I can think of who went on loan that early was AMN). He's not quite ready to be starting games for the first team yet but a lot can change in a short space of time. He has all the tools but not yet the knowhow, that's his shortcoming so far. If he gains a quantum leap in understanding, he'll get a few cameos IMO.

With Ben Knapper involved, we'll probably have a ton of loans out. Smith, Medley, Coyle, Olayinka, Ballard, Clarkle, TJJ and Swanson all need loans now as there's nothing in the PL2 for any of them. That's a HUGE chunk of the U23 team. Otherwise, they'd all be in with a shout IMO but I'd expect them to go on loan, especially if we lose the FA Cup Final and miss out on Europe. Jeorge Bird has yet to predict the U23 team because, like us, he has no idea what it'll look like until next season begins so I don't blame him! The academy/U23s will be just as interesting as the first team IMO.

TL;DR, Miguel Azeez is my prediction by default. He'll be the most high profile name left once we start loaning some guys out. I'd also keep an eye on Sam Greenwood.

Afro Mugo

What happens on the wing will be interesting. Taylor-Hart will definitely be one of the starters if he isn't already playing for the U23s. If Flores doesn't go straight to #10, I'm sure we'll see him on the wing aswell. And then what of Hutchinson? I reckon he'll definitely get some starts. Butler-Oyedeji is also worthy of consideration as he was one of the better performers for us last season. I have a feeling that depending on the loan situation, we're gonna see a lot of Taylor-Hart and Butler-Oyedeji for the U23s, and Hutchinson will definitely start for the U18s going forward.

Then there's also CB. Awe will probably alternate between CB and CM next to Patino/Bandeira, and there'll be quite a bit of rotation at CB until they find a working partnership. It could end up being 2 of Awe/Foran/Monlouis, the new scholars - however, Kirk's been pretty good. I imagine that this years CBs will probably move up prematurely depending on loans and injuries. Medley and Clarke will definitely need loans next season which will leave huge holes at CB. And if McGuinness continues to struggle with fitness, Kirk and Ogungbo will probably be the main guys!!

The full back positions will be of significant interest. With Swanson most likely on the verge of a loan himself, the door is open for Dan Oyegoke to step in at U23 level. That leaves the door open for Brooke Norton-Cuffy to get extended minutes for the U18 team. However, LB is pretty bare - Jeffcott seems to be the sole LB. So there could be some positional changes made here and there to rotate at that position.

They've certainly been dominant in their age group compared to even the strong set-ups. The balance of technique and physique is pretty pronounced aswell. Per definitely made sure we kept the entire lot of them, they'll be very lucrative figuratively and literally in the next 5-10 years IMO. That was a smart move. The amount of potential in this group is staggering. They're almost all regular youth internationals. I'm really excited to see how they fare in the U18s next season and who steps up prematurely to the U23s. I heavily doubt we'll see many call-ups to the first team from either U18s or U23s - possibly Azeez but that's it IMO.
Brooke and Sraha can also play left back and Foran and Monlouis have played Right back before so I think we'll see a lot of that. I think call ups to first team will highly depend on who leaves permanently or on loan + injuries. It's hard to tell right now because there are a number such as Swanson on the fringes but if he leaves on loan and we get short at RB and LB, Lopez gets a sniff

Afro Mugo

ESR is pretty firmly a first team squad player now. Nothing left for him in the U23 set-up. I don't think we'll see much of anybody who's currently U23 - even if Balogun signs, he's got a sea of bodies to bludgeon his way through w/out sales involved. The only person I can possibly think of is Miguel Azeez. He doesn't really need a loan because he's still 17 till September (only person I can think of who went on loan that early was AMN). He's not quite ready to be starting games for the first team yet but a lot can change in a short space of time. He has all the tools but not yet the knowhow, that's his shortcoming so far. If he gains a quantum leap in understanding, he'll get a few cameos IMO.

With Ben Knapper involved, we'll probably have a ton of loans out. Smith, Medley, Coyle, Olayinka, Ballard, Clarkle, TJJ and Swanson all need loans now as there's nothing in the PL2 for any of them. That's a HUGE chunk of the U23 team. Otherwise, they'd all be in with a shout IMO but I'd expect them to go on loan, especially if we lose the FA Cup Final and miss out on Europe. Jeorge Bird has yet to predict the U23 team because, like us, he has no idea what it'll look like until next season begins so I don't blame him! The academy/U23s will be just as interesting as the first team IMO.

TL;DR, Miguel Azeez is my prediction by default. He'll be the most high profile name left once we start loaning some guys out. I'd also keep an eye on Sam Greenwood.
Its very hard with the u23s . Majority of the older boys are past that stage and Greenwood's intake had fewer numbers so we are almost going to see a lot of u18s playing. Azeez and Ogungbo are still technically u18s but theyve outgrown that age group but probably theyll play in the youth cup . I believe none of Osei-Tutu, TJJ, Coyle, Ballard, Smith, Olayinka, Medley, Balogun, Olowu will play for u23s. I still think Clarke and Swanson might remain atleast for the first part of the season and remain on the fringes of the first team. Then theres Tolaji Bola, who's still around and nowhere close to the first team so I assume he'll play in his final season. Funny how things work out, Bola debuted for u18s before McGuane, Gilmour, or any other of the 99s due to his size obviously but he's struggled when others have caught up. I assume the team will look something like this
Hein/Okonkwo/Hillson/Smith

Swanson/Oyegoke Clarke/Kirk McGuiness/Ogungbo Lopez/Bola

Azeez

McEneff/Cirjan Cottrell/Patino

Lewis/Alebiosu Greenwood/Mathews KTH/Oyedeji

I just realised we have an abundance of goalkeepers. I think two will go out on loan. A number of players may play out of position as there's not really any other DM. Oyegoke , Laing or maybe the u18s may be called up hence why I think Azeez will still be around for the full season.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
He has the correct football value, and good understanding in football!
Our most intelligent prospect, Patino:

”The midfield role can be very challenging physically, but there are other attributes a midfielder needs to have in that position – intelligence, technically & tactically aware, etc, etc. The two best midfielders in the world were never physically superior, they knew how to use other ‘Tools’ to dominate the midfield for Barcelona.”

”My favourite past players that played when I was younger would include Cazorla, Fabregas, Arteta, Wilshere etc.”

My favourite player of all time is Andres Iniesta. When he was at Barcelona I used to spend hours watching him play.”

Last edited:

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
If I had to bet on two to make it from our youths in the first team my bets would be on Azeez and Patino. Azeez because he's closest/oldest.

It's too bad they're potentially in the same position. We have such a need for a real top quality 6 but realistically Patino is about 5 years away there and Azeez just one or two less.

One can dream of a Patino-Azeez-Ceballos rotation in the pivot in 5 years I guess :lol:

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
If I had to bet on two to make it from our youths in the first team my bets would be on Azeez and Patino. Azeez because he's closest/oldest.

It's too bad they're potentially in the same position. We have such a need for a real top quality 6 but realistically Patino is about 5 years away there and Azeez just one or two less.

One can dream of a Patino-Azeez-Ceballos rotation in the pivot in 5 years I guess :lol:

It'll be Patino-Azeez-Smith lol. I have high hopes for Bandeira too. Zach Awe looks interesting in that he can play in defense and midfield.

He is also pretty tall, but looks a little lightweight. Hope he fills out his frame and adds some muscle mass.

I don't know why, but I really think Zane Monlouis and Ogungbo will have a good chance to make it here.

Monlouis has the size, athleticism and technique to really be a stand out modern day CB. I think it probably will be more difficult for players like Flores and Hutchinson to make it here.

Both very talented, but seeing how Nelson has struggled to impose himself in the first-team, it makes me very cautious.

Both of them are not as quick or explosive as Nelson was at their age and he was every bit as technically gifted as they are. They'll both have to really dominate U-18 and U-23 football to have a chance.

Last edited:

Afro Mugo

It'll be Patino-Azeez-Smith lol. I have high hopes for Bandeira too. Zach Awe looks interesting in that he can play in defense and midfield.

He is also pretty tall, but looks a little lightweight. Hope he fills out his frame and adds some muscle mass.

I don't know why, but I really think Zane Monlouis and Ogungbo will have a good chance to make it here.

Monlouis has the size, athleticism and technique to really be a stand out modern day CB. I think it probably will be more difficult for players like Flores and Hutchinson to make it here.

Both very talented, but seeing how Nelson has struggled to impose himself in the first-team, it makes me very cautious.

Both of them are not as quick or explosive as Nelson was at their age and he was every bit as technically gifted as they are. They'll both have to really dominate U-18 and U-23 football to have a chance.
I very much agree on Monlouis and Ogungbo as they have basic qualities for modern day CBs . They are also very versatile. To be fair to Zach Awe, he's still only 16 so definitely he'll fill out. While I agree with that Omari might need more time but he's still very young and he's being played in midfield more recently where I believe he'll eventually end up because he's very good in tight spaces and has the technique to play there. Marcelo , for me, looks like a different type of a player to Reiss. Reiss strength has always been he's acceleration with the ball centrally, passing + movement and goal scoring ability . He's struggled because he's not being played in areas that maximise his abilities. He's always played like Griezmann who's always struggled outwide but centrally, he transforms to a Ballon D'or top 3 nominee. Marcelo Flores is a bit different. He has that Coutinho, Iniesta, Thiago kind of a vibe. A central ball hog but with good enough close control to be an effective wide player.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚

Yeah Bandeira looks very interesting too but have barely even seen video of him to know.

Monlouis and Ogungbo definitely look interesting, Monlouis especially, but we won't really find out about their chances for a bit now. They could easily be like so many defenders with good conditions we've seen come through who later show to be deficient defenders at a higher level. Though it's been a while since we've produced someone like Monlouis, tbh, so it's encouraging. Awe too, I'm sure he'll end up as a defender.

Re: Nelson it's all about personality. For whatever reason Nelson has shown to have a bit of a meek personality at first team level for Arsenal (wouldn't seem so for Hoffenheim, strangely). We'll see what kind of personalities Flores and Hutchinson have but I agree you have to be a really special talent and personality to make it as a forward so that's also why I would bet on Patino and Azeez if I were a betting man.

What do you guys think of Cirjan? We shouldn't forget about him and Taylor-Hart, but is the feeling that Flores and Hutchinson are likely superior talents?

Afro Mugo

Yeah Bandeira looks very interesting too but have barely even seen video of him to know.

Monlouis and Ogungbo definitely look interesting, Monlouis especially, but we won't really find out about their chances for a bit now. They could easily be like so many defenders with good conditions we've seen come through who later show to be deficient defenders at a higher level. Though it's been a while since we've produced someone like Monlouis, tbh, so it's encouraging. Awe too, I'm sure he'll end up as a defender.

Re: Nelson it's all about personality. For whatever reason Nelson has shown to have a bit of a meek personality at first team level for Arsenal (wouldn't seem so for Hoffenheim, strangely). We'll see what kind of personalities Flores and Hutchinson have but I agree you have to be a really special talent and personality to make it as a forward so that's also why I would bet on Patino and Azeez if I were a betting man.

What do you guys think of Cirjan? We shouldn't forget about him and Taylor-Hart, but is the feeling that Flores and Hutchinson are likely superior talents?
I think I've mentioned more than once Hutchinson is really hyped because of his freestyle videos but as per now he isn't that high up in terms of talents in his age group of course a lot can change from now. People really need to slow down on him. He's not a Reiss or Saka kind of standout talent. In his age group Patino is the standout talent then probably Monlouis ,Bandeira, Flores in no specific order then the rest. Cirjan seems to have very good attributes . Very technical and has a good shot on him . He obviously was still adapting to conditions last season. KTH really needs to have a good season. His close control and dribbling in addition to his physique are qualities the first team is severely lacking . I hope injuries haven't slowed him down like Coyle. If he can get back to form he has a good chance of getting into the first team

Geofranco

I haven't seen that much of Cirjan so far, don't know if he is more talented than Dragomir who never even got a chance to make it on the bench with the first team.

From some of the highlights he looks to have a good touch and passing ability.

I think Taylor-Hart is a different sort of player to Flores and Hutchinson.

He is pretty tall for a winger and has very good technique on the ball. He sort of reminds me of young Van Persie for whatever reason.

I just hope he doesn't suffer any other major injuries cause that could really seal his fate.

Not a good sign for youngsters still playing U-18 football to suffer long-term injuries.

Another winger that I have a soft spot for is Charles Sagoe Jnr. He is pretty small, but very good balance and technique, dribbling players for fun.

Tbh I am probably looking forward to our U-18 campaign next season more than the first team football.

Last edited:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I think I've mentioned more than once Hutchinson is really hyped because of his freestyle videos but as per now he isn't that high up in terms of talents in his age group of course a lot can change from now. People really need to slow down on him. He's not a Reiss or Saka kind of standout talent. In his age group Patino is the standout talent then probably Monlouis ,Bandeira, Flores in no specific order then the rest. Cirjan seems to have very good attributes . Very technical and has a good shot on him . He obviously was still adapting to conditions last season. KTH really needs to have a good season. His close control and dribbling in addition to his physique are qualities the first team is severely lacking . I hope injuries haven't slowed him down like Coyle. If he can get back to form he has a good chance of getting into the first team
Isn’t high up in terms of talent? I don’t understand.
I can do elastico like Ronaldinho and can dribble past 3 defenders at a time but I have no talent in football?

Geofranco

I can do elastico like Ronaldinho and can dribble past 3 defenders at a time but I have no talent in football?

There is a difference between being very good at free-styling and actually being consistently productive in a team setting.

Ronaldinho was a different animal. He wasn't just very technical and creative, but he was also big, powerful and explosive.

What impresses me with Hutchinson beyond his skill on the ball is his shooting technique. He looks to have very good technique with either foot.

I honestly would rate him as the most talented if I was sure of his athleticism, just doesn't look very quick or explosive so far. Although he is still so young and will def grow into his body.

I think it's good for him if he is not as rated as the rest cause he already has so much hype, which can be detrimental in the long haul. Over exposure is not a good thing for these young players.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
I haven't seen that much of Cirjan so far, don't know if he is more talented than Dragomir who never even got a chance to make it on the bench with the first team.

From some of the highlights he looks to have a good touch and passing ability.

I think Taylor-Hart is a different sort of player to Flores and Hutchinson.

He is pretty tall for a winger and has very good technique on the ball. He sort of reminds me of young Van Persie for whatever reason.

I just hope he doesn't suffer any other major injuries cause that could really seal his fate.

Not a good sign for youngsters still playing U-18 football to suffer long-term injuries.

Another winger that I have a soft spot for is Charles Sagoe Jnr. He is pretty small, but very good balance and technique, dribbling players for fun.

Tbh I am probably looking forward to or U-18 campaign next season more than the first team football.

As you note Hutchinson is talented...I tend to agree about the freestyle stuff I imagined we would never heard of him again but he has developed well it seems. I wouldn't like to put him in a different group than the rest, and think Khayon should go in there too?

Would say: Patino most likely to make it, then the rest, all very interesting talents in their own right-- Flores, Monlouis, Bandeira, Khayon, Hutchinson. Maybe Norton-Cuffy belongs in there too as a fullback prospect.

Geofranco

As you note Hutchinson is talented...I tend to agree about the freestyle stuff I imagined we would never heard of him again but he has developed well it seems. I wouldn't like to put him in a different group than the rest, and think Khayon should go in there too?

Would say: Patino most likely to make it, then the rest, all very interesting talents in their own right-- Flores, Monlouis, Bandeira, Khayon, Hutchinson. Maybe Norton-Cuffy belongs in there too as a fullback prospect.

Yea Cuffy looks very physically developed for such a young kid. Patino and Monlouis play in positions where we really need to produce more quality prospects, so it makes sense that they will have a greater chance to make it if things go well for them.

Afro Mugo

Probably you misunderstood my point in that of course by the fact he's an England youth international and plays for Arsenal Academy he's of course talented but I feel he's too hyped everywhere because of the freestyle videos. He is also part of a very talented group in which honestly almost all ,if things go their way, have a chance of making it to a PL level first team.

Arsenal Quotes

Tony Adams was a legendary Arsenal captain. He had authority over the team and even over his opponents.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom