• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manberg

Predator
We lost to Brighton at home with him in our team. We lost points against Brighton against home last season too where Xhaka did a typical Xhaka thing - concede a penalty. Where is this "Xhaka would have helped us win" illusion coming from, when he has done nothing of that sorts for us? In fact he has done the opposite.

Under Arteta, Xhaka has been integral to the team. Even being one of the few who put in a good performance when the result is not one we want.

Gunners1616

Xhaka can still be useful but only if he is next to a real athletic DM like Partey or Ndidi/Soumaré. Nevertheless if we have an opportunity to sell him in Germany we should take it before his value drops entirely. Same goes for Torreira if Arteta doesn't rate him.

Its time to rebuild a solid and technical midfield because both the defense and the attack are suffering because of it. And the focus has to be on strong dudes.

Erlis

Only Came To See Granit Xhaka

His attitude is not something to cherish about. When asked about his mistake that led to a goal, he was complaining about forwards and asked why no one is talking about them.

Do you ever get tired of writing rubbish in Xhaka s thread. I have been banned several times only because of people like you who have a daily agenda to come talk rubbish about players, and you did survive.

If there is any player that stands up for his team mates that is Xhaka. You cant question that, no one can.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Do you ever get tired of writing rubbish in Xhaka s thread. I have been banned several times only because of people like you who have a daily agenda to come talk rubbish about players, and you did survive.

If there is any player that stands up for his team mates that is Xhaka. You cant question that, no one can.
I am just speaking the facts. When he was asked about his own mistake he responded asking why people are not asking about the mistakes made by the forwards. Is this how you stand up for team mates? :lol: I have all rights to question his attitude. Every fan has the right to question his attitude.
I don't know the exact reason why you were banned. But I have my favourite players too who have been bashed by many posters here. I have had arguments with every one of them. And most of the arguments are purely football related. Maybe you are crossing the line somewhere?

Erlis

Only Came To See Granit Xhaka

I am just speaking the facts. When he was asked about his own mistake he responded asking why people are not asking about the mistakes made by the forwards. Is this how you stand up for team mates? :lol: I have all rights to question his attitude. Every fan has the right to question his attitude.
I don't know the exact reason why you were banned. But I have my favourite players too who have been bashed by many posters here. I have had arguments with every one of them. And most of the arguments are purely football related. Maybe you are crossing the line somewhere?

Get lost, attention seeker.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Get lost, attention seeker.
It has been quite a long time since anyone used this GIF on this forum. I couldn't stop myself from using it now
ooh-imafraid.gif

lomekian

Essays are my thing
I did some maths and it’s not looking good for Granit Xhaka. Obviously, there are some caveats that we need to address. No, I’m not saying Xhaka is the only cause of our away record problem but he does factor into it a lot. So please look at what I’ve written and come to your own conclusions. The number by the side of his name is the official Sky Sports rating he received. Anyways

Xhaka Away season

2016/17

Watford-Arsenal: 1-3 (W) Xhaka MOTM

Lei-Ars: 0-0 (D) Xhaka 7

Hull-Arsenal: 1-4 (W) Xhaka sub

Burnley-Arsenal: 0-1 (W) Xhaka 5

Sunderland-Ars: 1-4 (W) Xhaka no feature

Man U-Ars: 1-1 (D) Xhaka sub

WHam-Ars: 1-5 (W) Xhaka 7

Everton-Ars: 2-1 (L) Xhaka 7

Man City-Ars: 2-1 (L) Xhaka 6

Bou-Ars: 3-3 (D) Xhaka 5

Swa-Ars: 0-4 (W) 7

Che-Ars: 3-1 (L) Xhaka no feature

Liv-Ars: 3-1 (L) Xhaka 5

WBA-Ars: 3-1 (L) Xhaka 6

CP-Ars: 3-0 (L) Xhaka 4

MDB-Ars: 1-2 (L) Xhaka 5

TOT-Ars: 2-0 (L) Xhaka 6

Sou-Ars: 0-2 (W) Xhaka 7

Stoke-Ars: 1-4 (W) Xhaka 7

W:8–(1)=7, D:3, L:8-(1)=7

Xhaka played away 17 games

2017/18

Stoke-Ars: 1-0 (L) Xhaka 6

Liv-Ars: 4-0 (L) Xhaka 5

Che-Ars: 0-0 (D) Xhaka 7

Wat-Ars: 2-1 (L) Xhaka 6

Eve-Ars: 2-5 (W) Xhaka 6

ManC-Ars: 3-1 (L) Xhaka 4

Burn-Ars: 0-1 (W) Xhaka 6

Sou-Ars: 1-1 (D) Xhaka 5

WHam-Ars: 0-0 (D) Xhaka 6

CP-Ars: 2-3 (W) Xhaka 6

WBA-Ars: 1-1 (D) Xhaka 6

Bou-Ars: 2-1 (L) Xhaka 6

Swa-Ars: 3-1 (L) Xhaka 4

Tot-Ars: 1-0 (L) Xhaka 6

Bri-Ars: 3-1 (L) Xhaka 6

New-Ars: 2-1 (L) Xhaka 6

Lei-Ars: 3-1 (L) Xhaka 6

Huds-Ars: 0-1 (W) Xhaka 7

W:3, D: 4, L: 12

Xhaka played 19 away games

2018/19

Chel-Ars: 3-2 (L) Xhaka 3

Car-Ars: 2-3 (W) Xhaka 6

New-Ars: (W) Xhaka 7

Ful-Ars: 1-5 (W) Xhaka 7

CP-Ars: 2-2 (D) Xhaka 6

Bou-Ars: 1-2 (W) Xhaka 7

ManU-Ars: 2-2 (D) Xhaka no feature

Sou-Ars: 3-2 (L) Xhaka 5

Bri-Ars: 1-1 (D) Xhaka 6

Liv-Ars: 5-1 (L) Xhaka 5

WHam-Ars: 1-0 (L) Xhaka 5

ManC-Ars: 3-1 (L) Xhaka no feature

Huds-Ars: 1-2 (W) Xhaka no feature

Tot-Ars: 1-1 (D) Xhaka 6

Eve-Ars: 1-0 (L) Xhaka Xhaka no feature

Wat-Ars: 0-1 (W) Xhaka 6

Wol-Ars: 3-1 (L) Xhaka 5

Lei-Ars: 3-0 (L) Xhaka 6

Bur-Ars: 1-3 (W) Xhaka no feature

W: 7-(1)=6, D: 4-(1)= 3, L: 8-(2)=6

Xhaka played 15 away games

2019/20

New-Ars: 0-1 (W) Xhaka 7

Liv-Ars: 3-1 (L) Xhaka 6

Wat-Ars: 2-2 (D) Xhaka 6

ManU-Ars: 1-1 (D) Xhaka 5

Shef -Ars: 1-0 (L) Xhaka 5

Lei-Ars: 2-0 (L) Xhaka no feature

Nor-Ars: 2-2 (D) Xhaka 7

WHam-Ars: 1-3 (W) Xhaka 5

Eve-Ars: 0-0 (D) Xhaka 6

Bou-Ars: 1-1 (D) Xhaka 7

PAL-Ars: 1-1 (D) Xhaka 6

Che-Ars: 2-2 (D) Xhaka 8

Bur-Ars: 0-0 (D) Xhaka 6

ManC-Ars: 3-0 (L) Xhaka no feature

Bri-Ars: 2-1 (L) Xhaka no feature.

W: 2, D:8, L:5-(2)=3

Xhaka played 13 away games

So far, Arsenal has played a total of 72 away games since Xhaka has signed. Xhaka has played 64. At least 89% of all available away games. This obviously shows just how fit he is. I can’t fault that but at 89% it shows just how involved he’s been, in fact no other Arsenal player is as prevalent.

In those games we have won a total of 20 or 28%. Drawn 19, 26% and lost 33. Which is almost half at 46%

With Xhaka:

Won Percentage: 28%

Draw Percentage: 28%

Loss Percentage: 44%

The sample size without Xhaka is fairly small at 8. Hence, I won’t be doing the reverse but as you can the numbers paint a solid picture.

Good digging for info. Not sure I give much credence to Sky ratings as they are often nonsense, but the bigger stats are undeniable. The question is whether correlation indicates causation. Can we take any conclusion from this bar that we've been abysmal away from home for 4 years?

Not bigging up Xhaka, but when the team is an incoherent cowardly mess its hard to evaluate individuals from looking at the bigger picture

lomekian

Essays are my thing
It's undeniable that Xhaka is contributing to our deterioration though.

We've been worse as a team since he signed and he is visibly one of the root causes when you watch the matches.

It's not all his fault, but he needs replacing as do our centre backs

Not sure our decline has much to do with him in isolation. I'd have him at the level of guy who is top 4 standard in the right set up and Europa League standard in the wrong set up. Sadly he's mostly been in the wrong set up in a team really lacking in high end quality

lomekian

Essays are my thing
If we do have Partey in the team, there are plenty of players who can work with Partey in the midfield. What quality of Xhaka makes it necessary for us to shoehorn hin into the team?

There are 3 elements to Xhaka's game that are high quality.

Deep distribution we can all see.

Tactical intelligence is harder to judge, but for all his flaws, he can read a game very well and gives us structure.

Bravery / taking responsibilty. Now sometimes this leads to stupid fouls etc, but the one thing you really notice about Xhaka is (apart from the end of emery when the entire team was mentally broken) he is always making himself available to receive a pass. He's always giving team-mates an option or release valve. So many of our other players hide in plain sight and leave their team-mates in trouble. Xhaka is a very unselfish player.

If he's still our most important midfielder in 2 years time that will be depressing, but he's the one guy in central areas for us who always plays for the team. Same reason I always loved Rambo, even when he was struggling. Never hid, always gave options to the man on the ball. Ceballos tries to do that, but lacks the tactical intelligence and takes too many touches.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Not sure our decline has much to do with him in isolation. I'd have him at the level of guy who is top 4 standard in the right set up and Europa League standard in the wrong set up. Sadly he's mostly been in the wrong set up in a team really lacking in high end quality
He was a direct replacement for Cazorla who was arguably our best players for years. If he replaced someone like Giroud or Walcott on that level, he would probably get away with it and we wouldn't see such a sharp fall as a club. Think the standards that were set by Cazorla and Fabregas were too high for most of the players that we could buy

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Granit Xhaka needs athleticism and dynamism around him so he can be more metronomic and play a simpler game. You need to limit the ground he has to cover and give him an easy option ball so he feels safe enough to be more expansive.

The last period of Wenger and Emery both hung him out to dry terribly, and he made mistakes. Arteta at least seems to understand what Xhaka is as a player unlike the other two, and so we are now in a far better position to see what his level is and whether he's worth keeping as a key component.

It used to drive me mental under Emery. Anyone expecting Xhaka to cover 40-50 yards of space on his own is an idiot. He's a physically strong, decent technical player with tactical intelligence and a good team ethic. He is not, and will never be an athletic ground covering player or a nimble ball manipulator.

Either we need to set the midfield up in a way that allows him to be effective or we move him on. There will be plenty of teams happy to give us our money back for him, I suspect.

Mraven

I am just speaking the facts. When he was asked about his own mistake he responded asking why people are not asking about the mistakes made by the forwards.

You keep saying this so I assume you can post a link. It sounds incredibly out of context

lomekian

Essays are my thing
He was a direct replacement for Cazorla who was arguably our best players for years. If he replaced someone like Giroud or Walcott on that level, he would probably get away with it and we wouldn't see such a sharp fall as a club. Think the standards that were set by Cazorla and Fabregas were too high for most of the players that we could buy

Even worse than that, he was seemingly expected to be a mix of Cazorla and Coquelin. Neither of which were possible for him. And skill wise Cazorla is light years ahead of Xhaka (and most midfielders even at the top level tbh. If Cazorla was 10 years younger, Barcelona would be after him).

If he was more athletic and nimble he had a ceiling as a sort of Emmanuel Petit, but he simply lacks the physical attributes.

That said, stick him alongside Patrick Vieira, and he'd look a real player!

RacingPhoton

Established Member
There are 3 elements to Xhaka's game that are high quality.

Deep distribution we can all see.

Tactical intelligence is harder to judge, but for all his flaws, he can read a game very well and gives us structure.

Bravery / taking responsibilty. Now sometimes this leads to stupid fouls etc, but the one thing you really notice about Xhaka is (apart from the end of emery when the entire team was mentally broken) he is always making himself available to receive a pass. He's always giving team-mates an option or release valve. So many of our other players hide in plain sight and leave their team-mates in trouble. Xhaka is a very unselfish player.

If he's still our most important midfielder in 2 years time that will be depressing, but he's the one guy in central areas for us who always plays for the team. Same reason I always loved Rambo, even when he was struggling. Never hid, always gave options to the man on the ball. Ceballos tries to do that, but lacks the tactical intelligence and takes too many touches.
He can play those long balls which helps with distribution. But he needs immense space and time to that. Most teams have already identified this and they just keep one player near him to cut off that one good thing that he could possibly do.
He is neither brave nor responsible. If you are talking about hiding, he would be one among the top list of hiders. After the last time he conceded penalty due to that stupid tackle, he did not even venture into the box for many games. He was trying hard to stay away from danger zone. He "looks" brave. But he is far from brave.
He just pads up his statistics with those back passes to the keeper and sideways passes.
Look at the big chances created list this season, filter by club Arsenal:
https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_created
He just created 1 chance so far this season. 5 in the 2018/19 season and 3 in the 2017/18 season.
Players who have played much less minutes have created more big chances. Compare that with the number of goals Xhaka has been directly responsible for. Having him in the team is only counter-productive. All his so called positives are overrated.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'm not his biggest fan, but I think we should persist with this guy. The vast majority of DM's peak in their late 20's/early 30's, and I think there have been signs under Arteta he is starting to understand the position. I really liked how quickly he was getting the ball out wide pre lockdown, especially to Saka when he basically occupied the left flank.

He has shown in the past he is effective when he has a mobile partner next to him, with people offering between the lines ahead of him. When partnered with Rambo in the 343 in 16/17 and 18/19, he put in some very good performances.

I think he would be solid with a guy like Partey next to him, and proper attacking midfielders ahead that give him options on the ball (thinking Grealish/Aouar/Maddison). These profiles are what we should be targeting rebuild the midfield.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
He can play those long balls which helps with distribution. But he needs immense space and time to that. Most teams have already identified this and they just keep one player near him to cut off that one good thing that he could possibly do.
He is neither brave nor responsible. If you are talking about hiding, he would be one among the top list of hiders. After the last time he conceded penalty due to that stupid tackle, he did not even venture into the box for many games. He was trying hard to stay away from danger zone. He "looks" brave. But he is far from brave.
He just pads up his statistics with those back passes to the keeper and sideways passes.
Look at the big chances created list this season, filter by club Arsenal:
https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_created
He just created 1 chance so far this season. 5 in the 2018/19 season and 3 in the 2017/18 season.
Players who have played much less minutes have created more big chances. Compare that with the number of goals Xhaka has been directly responsible for. Having him in the team is only counter-productive. All his so called positives are overrated.

If you think his role in this team is or has been as a chance creator, and if you think he hides, I'm not sure you understand football. You are judging him for not doing things he's not there to do, and is not asked to do. When he first started to Switzerland he was impactful in the final 3rd, but he's been moved backwards in Germany and again at Arsenal. His role is give structure to our play from deep. Passing backwards and sideways is a legitimate element of what he is in the team to do. Had we other competent distributors in central areas, it would right to demand more of him. He did bring more going forward in 16/17, as we had team that still played on the front foot, and he was given more of a licence to press, particularly with a back 3. Since then, its been rubbish all round. Personally I'd like to see him given the chance to impact things further up the pitch, but when Torreira's out, he's the only one with even basic level positioning and structure.

That said, your contribution to this thread is primarily an endless exercise in character assassination, so I'm not sure there's much point in us exchanging comments.

sdotzdot

Established Member
He’s probably our most key player for the defensive set up Arteta has us in. How ****ing depressing is that. Xhaka, the key player for the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

It works. I am just waiting until everyone has copied it, then I shall come up with something new.

Herbert Chapman on the famous WM formation

Latest posts

Top Bottom