• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Has Wenger taken us as far as he can?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

mistaT said:
"Has Wenger taken us as far as he can?"

Truthfully, I think its time we start applying ourselves in the FA and CC Cup.

Say what you want about their value, but winning either one can instill confidence in the team (for both players and fans). I'm all for starting small and building this team up through marginal and attainable victories.

So in my opinion our performance in the Cups this year will heavily dictate my opinion on how far Arsène can take this current team.
Mourinho said the most important thing he won at his time at Chelsea was the Carling Cup, it was the first cup, it meant the players tasted success and wanted more and started them on a run of winning nearly everything in their sights.

Wenger has taken as far as he can without a doubt. His time was up 3/4 years ago when we had world class players and as goonerwarsh we needed one or two to make us competitive and challenging. Why all these references to Bruce Rioch at the likes lets compare Wenger with Wenger. He set the bar as challenging for the title, winning cups, getting to finals compare Wenger to Wenger he is not doing what he use to do, he has gone stale, he has become more stubborn and he has a disregard for the fans. His own players have said we need more, RVP left because of it, Nasri left because of it, Sagna has said we need more and he refuses to do anything...these are the players who see(n) our teams up and close everyday and know what they are capable off and clearly our own players dont think we are capable of challenging.

Wengers hands have been tied, Wenger doesnt have funds etc Im sorry it doesnt wash. The board have said money is there Wenger said if he would spend 30m and every season we are left behind while all the top players move on and we are nowhere to be seen. If Wengers hands are tied all he needs to do is tell us "look listen, the board say there is money but there isn't Im doing the best I can within the limits I am given" but he doesnt say that he doesnt even hint at that.

3 years too late for this Gooner. People need to stop being afraid Sp**s have slowly been gaining ground on us for years it won't be long until they over take us, we got lucky very lucky with Chelsea winning the CL or they would have spent more in the summer than what they did.

Pires7_Legend

Time for this man to become our new manager!
pep_guardiola_1392774c.jpg

Bourne

Established Member
We NEED a Bayern type resurgence next season. Though that would involve spending some money.

DiamondGooner

Established Member
I don't see how we can talk about finances being a hindrance after not beating Norwich, Aston Villa, Everton and now Swansea they all have less money.

We need to beat these teams first before we judge money being a factor seeing as we have more than these teams already.

musicmonkey

Established Member
Talking about a new manager now is pointless, we've all seen what's happening at Chelsea and it'd be a lot worse here where our manager is a part of every aspect of the club. Sack him now and we sink, no two ways about it for me. If Chelsea can sack a manager whilst being in third, with a huge transfer fund and a shiny new front line to work with and can only get Benitez then we're ****ed.

No reason to be talking about replacements now, leave it till the end of the season.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I still prefer to sack the board rather than Wenger, its not that he cant do the job, he simply doesnt have the tools to do the job.

I posted a stat about a month ago that we were on course to finish with 57 pts, one person said it was a stupid stat, well now we are on course to finish with 53 pts.

We have fallen so far its unbelievable. During the week Utd were linked with Özil, if we were linked with Özil everyone would know it was a non-starter, that's how far we have fallen.

10th position in Dec is awful, bring in Usmanov and let someone invest in the team. Ok I know that wont happen but thats what we need!

karl

It is about time someone told us who is telling the truth about finances at the club and why the players lack so much spirit now. Either the board are telling the truth and Wenger is refusing to replace players with quality, or there was never sufficient funds available.

infineon

Established Member
GDeep said:
Getting annoyed with people calling for Pep, why would he join a non competing, non ambitious club? The very best managers look at their CVs, they want to win, want to manage clubs who push to be at the top, thats not what our board are about. Wengers only crime is that he might not over achieve this season.
Also, no guarantee Pep will be a success outside Barca and without Messi ...

GDeep™

League is very weak
Getting annoyed with people calling for Pep, why would he join a non competing, non ambitious club? The very best managers look at their CVs, they want to win, want to manage clubs who push to be at the top, thats not what our board are about.

Wengers only crime is that he might not over achieve this season.

McIntyre

Established Member
DiamondGooner said:
I don't see how we can talk about finances being a hindrance after not beating Norwich, Aston Villa, Everton and now Swansea they all have less money.

We need to beat these teams first before we judge money being a factor seeing as we have more than these teams already.

Totally agree. It's tactics. It's training. It's attitude and mentality. It's flexibility.

If Wenger can't manage to get this set of players to beat the Norwich's of this world then there's something seriously wrong with what HE is doing at the club.

Invincible

Established Member
say yes said:
Still no.
Indeed.

Who needs Pep or Moyes, Arsène delivers the virtual trophy every year for only £7m pa!

And his eye for a talent is still as good as ever. I mean, Gervinho for £11m or Michu for £2m? It's a no-brainer is it? :D

dpt49

Established Member
tap-in said:
I still prefer to sack the board rather than Wenger, its not that he cant do the job, he simply doesnt have the tools to do the job.
I agree.
I would like to see Hill Wood's comments after todays match.
The smug, arrogant comments he made against true supporters of this club have made him look even more of a buffoon than he already was.

He said, "the supporters don't understand."
The man is an idiot.

say yes

forum master baiter
GDeep said:
Getting annoyed with people calling for Pep, why would he join a non competing, non ambitious club? The very best managers look at their CVs, they want to win, want to manage clubs who push to be at the top, thats not what our board are about.

Wengers only crime is that he might not over achieve this season.

Look I want Wenger to stay and I have faith in him to turn it around, but that last line is bs.

Coming 4th is not overachieving for arsenal. We spend the 4th highest amount of money on players in the league.

His tactics have been poor, he can't seem to motivate the team and he has seriously neglected key areas of the team in the transfer market.

Lets just get real about him for a change. He's not the worst manager who has ever existed, but nor is coming 4th some amazing achievement he should be applauded for.

Mckenna

tap-in said:
I can't subscribe to that. He will not invest. He generates all this money, but does not spend it on the team. People bemoan the player sales. I don't really have a problem with them - they're logical in the face of circumstances. Robin was never going to sign a new deal, and giving a player 4 years on 250k who gets injured regularly is lunacy. It's what comes after that has been our downfall. No investment. Just sitting on the cash. And that is Wenger - that is where he lacks "tools" - his decision making regarding the squad is awful.

We started the season relying on Diaby. A player who has been fit maybe two minutes of the previous two seasons. Yes he looked good, but there is no way you can hang a team's season on such a player. Oh - he's injured? What a shocker. Every Arsenal fan just shrugs in resignation - it was completely expected to us... Arsène, I just don't know what he was thinking when he was planning his squad at the start of this season. The team now looks exhausted because rotation is not an option. Ramsey is playing on the wing, which is just horrific because he is not now, and will never be, capable of playing there.

Wenger shows little/no tactical awareness during games either. I honestly sit there watching, completely resigned to the fact that whatever Arsenal knew about winning they've forgotten, and whatever they knew about good football, they've chosen to ignore. It's painful. Arsenal teams of years gone by actually wanted to win, wanted to compete. These days they seem happy to just turn up, lie down on the train tracks and ask whoever we're playing to run us over.

At this stage, Wenger leaving would enable someone else to inject some tactical nous into this team. Someone else might actually be able to get them wanting to win again. I don't see Arsène doing it. The desire has slowly been falling away season after season and, to me, it's a reflection of his attitude that fourth is okay, and draws are "acceptable" - this is a failure of attitude, desire, and should not be the top man's belief at Arsenal. It's a betrayal of the fans. No wonder we lost today.

That said, of course, the board do not subscribe to this, do not care what we think, and will likely reward Arsène's wonderfully slack hand with even more money that he does not deserve. I suppose it's lucky that Emirates signed that deal now. Another season and we probably wouldn't have been worth so much money...

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
I wonder how long before "Wenger Out" banners start to surface.

Such a shame, he's done so much for us. Given us some wonderful memories, bought some legendary players.

Even if he were to step down as head coach I'd like him to remain in some capacity, just have NO tactical input :lol:

dpt49

Established Member
If Wenger gets his "trophy" of fourth place this season, it will be the first time I will have agreed with him that fourth place is indeed a trophy.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Truly disgusted. I cannot believe what we are witnessing week by week.

**** off. I want people who care about the club running it.

Mod. Edit:
No need for dead-wishes, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal are the most beautiful club in England. At Man City and Chelsea, they will never have that class and style.

Marco van Basten

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom