• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Hleb-In-The-Hole Discussion Thread

kel varnsen

Established Member
why on earth did hleb not take a shot in the 75th minute, when bendtner broke through and tried to pass the ball to van persie. the ball was in the open inside the box.

poor shot at the end from cesc as well.

JazzG

Established Member
“However I cannot isolate Robin van Persie up there the whole year. It does not work on a longer period. It can work in some games but it cannot be the basis of your game. You need two strikers.”

Hopefully when needed Wenger will adapt or we are gonna suffer again in Europe......

Lancelot

Established Member
That's the way to go and I'm really glad to finally be able to read what the boss really thinks about the 4-5-1 formation. :)

Wonder what kind of game exactly would he opt for Hleb-in-the-hole?

qs

Established Member
Lancelot said:
That's the way to go and I'm really glad to finally be able to read what the boss really thinks about the 4-5-1 formation. :)

Wonder what kind of game exactly would he opt for Hleb-in-the-hole?

Depending on injurys and how Eduardo and Bendtner develop he could do it alot during the African nations.

A

Anonymous

There has been an emense lift to Hleb's game since he is been put just behind the striker,or in the hole as had been said.This is without doubt his best position,but we do need to play with two strikers most of the time especially in the prem.

Lukazan

Established Member
I just hope he isn't thrown back on to the right wing. Swap Rosicky and Hleb round for a few games, see how it goes.

Lancelot

Established Member
Gurgen said:
Hleb can play in the hole even with two strikers. Milan have done it for years.
A 4-4-2 diamond with Hleb on top, Rosicky & Cesc in central midfield and Gilberto as a DMC would be quite interesting though, me thinks.

Everyone will be playing at their favorite positions and Sagna and Clichy can always burst through from deep area to give us width.

EDIT:

qs said:
Depending on injurys and how Eduardo and Bendtner develop he could do it alot during the African nations.
Very interesting.

So you are of the opinion that the boss sees Hleb-in-the-hole as more of a plan B when we lack neccessary resources to get the best out of 4-4-2 or where RvP's partners fail to deliver expected goal threats.

What do you think of the odd away UCL games (provided that we have full resources)?

Cheers. :)

entropy13

Established Member
Lancelot said:
Gurgen said:
A 4-4-2 diamond with Hleb on top, Rosicky & Cesc in central midfield and Gilberto as a DMC would be quite interesting though, me thinks.

Everyone will be playing at their favorite positions and Sagna and Clichy can always burst through from deep area to give us width.

I've been clamoring for this formation for a long time already; but Wenger doesn't hear me. :lol:

hesham

Established Member
Finally AW talkin some sense. were gonna need two strikers upfront to compete this season especialy in the prem. were an attacking team always have been always will be. Its fine in Europe were possesion game is dominant but not in the prem.

Hleb will be fine on the wings (which ever one it is) he is immensly talented and both footed so theres no real difference.
People are reading way too much into last season, yes he was very average but so was the whole team. His lack of goals made is a target.

Year before that he was playing very well and can cause opposition alot of problems were ever he plays

kooldawg

Established Member
entropy13 said:
Lancelot said:
Gurgen said:

I've been clamoring for this formation for a long time already; but Wenger doesn't hear me. :lol:

For that to work, Hleb has to be able to take shots from outside the box when required and pretty much be in or around the box to pick up stray balls etc. In short he's gonna have to model himself on Kaka, Diego and Van De Vaart. Although from a purely creative point of view, if he can create more chances for our 2 forwards and drag defenders away from Van Persie, Edu and Ade then our strikers might get more chances on goal.

JGooner

These quotes from Wenger are excellent news. I was getting worried that the Hleb/RvP thing was going to be a consistent gameplan.

Only downside is the bit where he says lots of players want to play in the centre. That's true, but that's why you need players who are comfortable to be out wide. Accumulating people like Rosicky, Hleb, Diaby, etc (and now possibly Modric) and then finding it strange that they prefer to play in the position they have played in all their lives is bizarre.

siddharth

Gurgen said:
You are right but the role of their forwards and fullbacks cannot be underestimated in the success of their formation. Milan always have had strikers who had an excellent goal scoring ratio in other words were clinical. Besides their fullbacks in these years have contributed a lot to their attack. Their midfield is also much more stronger as a unit then it appears because they have a ball winner and tackler in Gattuso something which has become almost extinct in our team and who is brilliantly complemented by the excellent pirlo and seedorf. Lastly we cannot forget to mention the strength of their defence which has been a rock all these years. It's only now that the old defence is starting to crumble.

We are much inferior in all the three departments.

Arsenal Quotes

As a club, we have an educational purpose: to give back to those people who love Arsenal so that they learn moral values from our game and how we behave.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom