• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

If (and when!) Vieira goes, who should be made Captain?

If Vieira goes who should be made Captain?

• Campbell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cole

• Henry

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vanPersie

I dont think Wenger would pick someone who only has a year left....no matter how much of a dream it would be, and how well it would show our appreciation. I would love to see Bergkamp wearing the band as much as anyone, but I cant see it happening.

Cole would be a good captain in the future, but not now. I can see him captaining arsenal one day though.

For me the no.1 choice, and best man for the job, is Sol Campbell. I remember hearing somewhere before that he is not a natural born leader - but he is the key man at the back, and we know he can do it. No matter who he played for in the past, he is dedicated to Arsenal now. Campbell for captain *should it come to it lol*.

A

Anonymous

vanPersie said:
I dont think Wenger would pick someone who only has a year left....no matter how much of a dream it would be, and how well it would show our appreciation. I would love to see Bergkamp wearing the band as much as anyone, but I cant see it happening.

Cole would be a good captain in the future, but not now. I can see him captaining arsenal one day though.

For me the no.1 choice, and best man for the job, is Sol Campbell. I remember hearing somewhere before that he is not a natural born leader - but he is the key man at the back, and we know he can do it. No matter who he played for in the past, he is dedicated to Arsenal now. Campbell for captain *should it come to it lol*.

every one of our players are key men, this aint a good enough reason to want campbell to be captain ;)

Denish

But Campbell is the man! Ain't no one gonna miss with the Sol man! Imagine shaking his hand before the match, the other captain would just crap himself.

I can't see either Bergkamp or Cole being all that inspirational or influential to be honest.

Campbell is the right choice in terms of attributes required to be Captain, regardless of whether he was Sp**s captain or not. If anything, thats a plus because he's got previous captaincy experience and knows what he's doing.

sienna

I can see Cole or Toure being captains in the future but not now. Henry I don't think so. He's quite moody and have this tendency to sulk. In my previous post I stated that I'd like it to be Bergkamp but if it's Sol I have no problem with that.

Andrew

If Henry was captain then I bet he wouldn't "sulk". He is inspirational, loyal and leads by example, especially if he was captain. Either him or Sol should be captain in Vieira's abscence because they are our most influential players. Bergkamp just won't be enough of a regular to be a captain... and I really don't think its a good idea to make captain a player who comes in for the odd match like Chelski did with Desailly last year.

vanPersie

Scottish Lass said:
every one of our players are key men, this aint a good enough reason to want campbell to be captain ;)

Good point. Ok...he has the experiance, the ability, the attitude, the dominance. He organises our defence brilliantly and keeps it together - and I believe he can do the same for the team. Every player is key, they're a team afterall, but they need someone to look to for leadership - and campbell is a leader.

calvinngai88

Campbell's should be the captain for England. Beckham's not encouraging at all, maybe only once, when Lampard scored the header against France and he asked every player to breathe in and out? :D And the last minute freekick against Greece in the World Cup 2002 qualifiers, which brought England to Japan/Korea.

GunnerUS9

With some players, the captain's band has a way of making them grow up. I think that could be the case with Henry. Still, I'd go with Sol. To those of you who think he shouldn't be because of his days at WHL, what's the deal? Has he not proven time and time again that he's willing to give it all for Arsenal? :?:

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Has to be Campbell for me. He is a born leader.Henry has the desire but he sometimes has the tendancy to go missing (not bashing). I would have picked Cole as he is an Arsenal lad through and through, but he lacks the experience of Campbell. Cole for me in a couple of years. Or maybe even Kolo Toure. The kid loves this club.

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Cesc does look like a player who has an old head on a young body. If he turns out to be half the player guardiola (the player he was compared most with) is we have a player who is truley great on our hands.

Mark

Established Member
I dunno. Watching Cole again today, he just looks like a captain. He really leads by example in all areas of the pitch. An absolutely fantastic player rapidly becoming my favourite.

Henry's Girl

calvinngai88 said:
Are you abit biased of Cole being short and can't give any uplifting talk to all other players who are taller than him? Captains don't have to be tall. :lol:
Firstly, baby ash aint 4ft, he's 5'8" and height is nothing, he can do the job

johe

I think if Thierry wore the armband, he would become more mature with the responsibility given to him, and ditch the 'sulking' he (allegedly) does. Just like Paddy did when he was given captaincy following Adams retiring.

kronik

Today, Martin Tyler (Sky Commentator) said that Arsenal's captain, Vieira and Vice Captain, Sol, were both out so Bergkamp took the capataincy for the day. Its good to see Wenger has actually nominated a vice captain this season, he was throwing it around left, right and centre last season.

So basically if Vieira goes, I presume that Sol will become Captain. Which is fantastic. Its great to see him as current vice captain too. :D

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I though that teams always have a vice captain. I thought the only reason that players like Bergkamp and Parlour got the armband was because our captain and vice captain were out for those matche. Like when Vieira was injured and Campbell was mourning the death of his father.

vin de guerre

For all those who have not there is an establishe thread on the subject!
For god's sake take a second look around before starting anew thread!

primerib8

iceman won't be starting enough games to be a consistant captain. i love iceman but i think campbell would be it. cole is an interesting pick for me. i know he's been playing great but why do u guys feel ash is captain material?

Clarkey

I'm really not sure we should give it to Campbell because of his links to Sp**s, not on our side of it all but on the Sp**s side. Its gives them the excuse they need to make his life a living hell.

Cole for me, but I'd like it to be Kolo or Gilberto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

In June 1996, David Dein, Peter Hill-Wood and Danny Fiszman came out to Nagoya to meet me on behalf of Arsenal. Within an hour we came to an agreement. The Japanese directors didn't try to keep hold of me in the usual way but talked with persuasive arguments... But as far as I was concerned, the decision was taken. Arsenal. A decision that would change my life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom