• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Is The Premier League Tougher Than It Used To Be?

Is It?

• Total voters

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Best period of football hands down.

Better players/leaders in this one photo alone, than in the whole league combined now...

team-pic-chelsea-2004.png

GoonerJay24

I've noticed this season that many forward lines consist of younger attackers. Why is this? More often, young players struggle with decisiveness and clinical finishing, unless they possess exceptional talent i.e, Haaland or the likes of Michael Owen, Anelka, and Rooney from years ago.

Take Liverpool, for instance. They've impressed this season, but without experienced attackers like Jota and Salah, their final third decision-making is poor. Nunez, Jota, and Gapko are all under 23 and have lots of developing to do.

Then, for the other top sides, it's similarly filled with youths in the front three:

Ourselves: Saka, Martinelli
United: Garnacho, Houjlund
Chelsea: Palmer, Jackson
City: Foden, Haaland, Doku
Tottenham: Kuluveski, Johnson

There just seems to be a real dearth of experienced, elite attackers. Apart from Kane, I can't think of another world-class striker in the prime age range of 26-31 around European football for that matter. People are now talking up Toney, who is good, but 10-15 years ago, there was an abundance of genuine world-class forwards.

I think what's helping Villa compete this season is having a team of experienced players. Watkins and Bailey, for example, are mid to late 20s. Compared to Garnacho and Hojlund at United, that's partly the difference

Riou

Feel "older players" get overlooked too much these personally.

Of the 20 players who played the 10 game limit to win a Prem medal with us in 2004, only 5 were 24 and under.

Maybe it's the lack of money we have tended to have in the Emirates era, the social media era in general... developing youngsters is important, but having players at their peak is even more vital.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
I don't think the league is tougher when you compare the teams with for instance 2004-2008. United, Chelsea and Arsenal were terrific.

I do feel that City is on such a high point, that winning the league hasn't become easier.

Riou

To be fair Diaz plays like a 17 year old, tbh.

Pace and dribbling, then gets into the final third and turns into an idiot!

I was shocked when I found out how close to 30 he was.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Personally think Diaz is massively overrated, huge downgrade on Mane. Obviously no one was expecting him to be as good but the gulf is fairly large tbh, when you consider Mane and Salah were similar level over their times at Pool...Salah is far better than Diaz in this current side and its not even close.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
To be fair Diaz plays like a 17 year old, tbh.

Pace and dribbling, then gets into the final third and turns into an idiot!

I was shocked when I found out how close to 30 he was.

Personally think Diaz is massively overrated, huge downgrade on Mane. Obviously no one was expecting him to be as good but the gulf is fairly large tbh, when you consider Mane and Salah were similar level over their times at Pool...Salah is far better than Diaz in this current side and its not even close.
Diaz is one of the prime examples why people who think Martinelli is easily upgradable need to get a good look at themselves. He didn't cost a ridiculous amount of money, but he was not cheap either, and at 27 he is a nailed-on starter for one of the best sides in the world. And look at him. Martinelli is overall better, 5 years younger, and he has a 15-goal PL season under his belt already. How in the world do you replace that, and with whom?

North5

Here since 2009. Unlike Cornavirus.

Feel "older players" get overlooked too much these personally.

Of the 20 players who played the 10 game limit to win a Prem medal with us in 2004, only 5 were 24 and under.

Maybe it's the lack of money we have tended to have in the Emirates era, the social media era in general... developing youngsters is important, but having players at their peak is even more vital.

Especially with how good sports science is nowadays. Players can carry on their peak for longer

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
It's a bit of a silly debate because you can't prove anything.

If I'm trying to sum it up I think individual players felt better in previous eras because they actually played more as individuals than cogs in a wheel.

Sides these days feel more effective to me as they're a more cohesive unit and better drilled. More boring and less flair though.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

If I'm trying to sum it up I think individual players felt better in previous eras because they actually played more as individuals than cogs in a wheel.
I think the amount of kids that have football as a hobby & a career dream has gone up dramatically in the past decades. Anyone got stats for this development?

The standout players likely were/looked so much better, because now there are so many more better players to compete with them. It's not so easy to dominate when the opposition is closer to your level.

If the number of players in the world goes up, then the number of top players will go up. Different eras might have a few more elite players by chance, but I don't think it can override this other factor.

It can also seem more boring when the players are more even.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I don't think the league is tougher when you compare the teams with for instance 2004-2008. United, Chelsea and Arsenal were terrific.

I do feel that City is on such a high point, that winning the league hasn't become easier.
This. The league is getting much easier for the top teams. The gap in revenues and squad cost is producing record breaking numbers of points and goals for those at the top. But actually winning the league is another matter.

Arsenal Quotes

There's a minute on the clock left for Arenal. Brady for Arsenal.... right across, Sunderland... IT'S THERE! I do not believe it, I SWEAR I do not believe it!

Peter Jones on the goal against United in the 79 cup final

Latest posts

Top Bottom