• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jose Antonio Reyes - Wenger's Most Important Signing?

DLC

Whilst the transfer isn’t 100% complete yet as Jose Antonio Reyes’ medical results haven’t been announced thus far it is safe to assume that he will sign. It is safe to assume that he will replace Francis Jeffers as the Gunners’ number 9. It is safe to assume he is more than just a great prospect. It is safe to assume that the transfer values being banded around by the papers, who by the way were caught remarkably off guard by the news, are completely and utterly wrong. It is safe to assume that the world will be watching him with a close interest.

The simple fact is that Wenger’s and Arsenal’s reputations rest on the 20 year old’s shoulders. Never before has one signing meant so much to the club, never before will a signing be as scrutinised as he will be. To analyse this transfer I will look at the different aspects of the player compared to Arsenal’s past.

Most Significant Transfer In Playing Ability?
In terms of playing ability perhaps the signing of Dennis Bergkamp was more significant. When Bruce Rioch signed him he was 26 and therefore was supposedly at the peak of his ability. Many would argue however that the 1997/1998 season saw the best from the Dutchman. Having said that Dennis wasn’t enjoying his time in Italy and was looking for a way out.

Reyes is one of Europe’s most precious talents and was touted by many of the continent’s top clubs but he chose Arsenal. The age gap and associated levels of experience prevent a direct comparison. Reyes is only 20,however, he is a full international and has scored 2 goals for Spain in his handful of appearances. Anyone that saw the Real Madrid versus Sevilla game this season (the full game and not just highlights) will surely be enthralled at the prospect of the player who single-handedly destroyed Los Merangues coming to ply his trade in the Premiership but more importantly at Highbury. He made the likes of Figo, Zidane and Ronaldo look like Freund, Etherington and Rebrov.

It is perhaps significant the lengths that Sevilla have gone to appease their fans. They have trumped up the transfer fee by calling it larger than Beckham’s as they know they will get a backlash from their supporters. Perhaps that is the best indication as to the ‘Sevillan Raul’s worth on the pitch.

Most Significant Transfer In Financial Terms?
There are many aspects to be considered here. The first one and the easiest one is the financial impact it will have on his old club. Sevilla were in debt and their situation was looking precarious. In the rough words of their chairman “this deal will wipe out 75% of our debts”. Now this may not be entirely true (more on that later) but it would be foolish to underestimate the massive boost this will give the Spanish club.

Any club that spends £10-20 million on a player is liable to be criticised on taking a gamble (Veron and Saha at Manchester United, Wiltord at Arsenal but more on that later). Add to that to the fact that this deal has taken place in the January transfer window rather than in the summer and it could seem like a panic buy. But that would be at any normal club – Arsenal as we know isn’t a normal club. No other club is trying to build such an ambitious new stadium. The financial strains of Ashburton Grove have been given many column inches over the past few years. So how can a club that have been struggling to fund the project and has to be notoriously frugal afford someone like Jose Antonio Reyes? There are many interpretations and here are just a few of them.

Ø Financial Backing Sorted. We have secured all the financial backing for Ashburton Grove that we need and that has freed up some transfer funds. The accepted figure is around the £20 million mark, which would cover the transfer. This is the line that the club are taking and as a result we should believe. So if the backing is in place why haven’t they announced it? Well the simple answer is that it is common sense. The common view of Arsenal at the moment is that we are in financial crisis so the board are playing on this to lower asking prices. If we announce that we have the backing then prices will go up. Expect the announcement to be made in early February
Ø Arsenal are taking a gamble. The backing isn’t secured but the board expect it to be sorted soon and therefore sanctioned the move hoping that they are correct.
Ø We don’t have the backing and probably wont soon. Here the expression ‘you need to spend money to make money’ comes into play. We are buying Reyes in the hope he propels the club to many pieces of silverware including the cup with the big ears over the next few years to help pay the bill of the stadium.

What Does The Transfer Mean For The Team?
Reyes played mainly on the left side of midfield in Spain but that isn’t his preferred position. He prefers a more central role, playing in the ‘hole’ behind the main striker(s). He can also play as a central striker and has played as a lone striker before. So basically he can replace Robert Pires, Freddie Ljungberg, Dennis Bergkamp, Thierry Henry and maybe even Gilberto or Vieira (although one presumes it would take more than an earthquake to move Wenger from his preferred 4-4-2 formation with two holding central midfielders tactic). I have used the word ‘replace’ but I mean give a rest. I don’t suggest he should walk straight into the team. Robert and Freddie are approaching their best form at the moment, Thierry is Thierry and Dennis is fresh after a rest. If you look closely at the Arsenal team you will notice that the players aren’t always in the position they line up in. Good examples are Gilberto drops back when Toure makes a run, Pires and Ljungberg often cut inside and someone will always cover them. But perhaps more obviously Pires and Henry constantly interchange their positions and so could Reyes. Reyes is a better version of Kewell. He is younger and more skilful although more expensive.

If you look at quotes from Wenger, Vieira and Henry you will see that the main aim of the club is to make history, they want to win the Big One for the first time. Reyes is available for the knockout stage this year so that is a big boost. He is the extra striker that has been identified by critics as the missing link; He will take some of the pressure off Henry, which can only be a good thing. In my opinion we now have a squad capable of winning the Champions League, I can now see the trophy in Vieira’s hands.

However, there are some doubts. He isn’t exactly a striker, more a forward. He isn’t anything that we don’t already have (in terms f position) so will he add an extra dimension, an extra way of attacking to the side. Well in short no but perhaps that is a bit myopic. What he does do is give us an extra player. He can free up say Freddie to play in the ‘hole’ where he did so well on Saturday. Perhaps even drop Henry back a bit. In short the front players will be constantly rotating which will make it damn hard to man mark them. Perhaps this will give us the edge in tight European games.

Adaptability
This is potentially the biggest question that will be asked of him. How well and how quickly can he adapt to the Premiership? On his side he has youth and exuberance. However, the Spanish game is a lot different and slower than the English game. I wouldn’t be surprised if he rooms with Lauren in the first few months. Both speak Spanish but also Lauren was born in Seville and so will help him settle in. The trouble is that at a club like Arsenal you can’t afford to make mistakes, the club demands instant success. However, I get the feeling considering how long Wenger has chased Jose Antonio that he will be given time and plenty of chances. People say that Richard Wright wasn’t given enough chances but a forward player is a more forgiving position than a goalkeeper.

Overall I would say that I trust Wenger, yes he has spent a lot of money on one player but he has history of doing very well in the transfer market. On Monday The Times ran an article on this subject and it outlined Vieira, Henry, Ljungberg, Campbell and Anelka as his greatest signings in terms of value. But more interesting than this is the signings that took place around those times:

Vieira (3.5 million)
Lee Sharpe (4.5 million to Manchester united)

Ljungberg (3 million)
Jesper Blomqvist (£4 million to Manchester United)

Sol Campbell (free)
Juan Sebastien Veron (£28.1 million to Manchester United)

Juan Antonio Reyes (£10 million)
Luis Saha (£12 million to Manchester United)?

Reyes v Saha

I am not trying to imply that Saha will be a failure of the same proportions as Veron or Sharpe but it interesting to note the timings. Both will wear the number 9 shirt. There is little point in comparing the players as they are so very different but mainly as I am running out of time!

The True Value Of the Deal
As hinted at before the estimations in the press are probably inaccurate. Arsenal have taken the interesting step of explaining the exact run down of the deal. Interesting as it isn’t something they usually do. According to a statement on the club website

“The initial consideration is €15 million (£10.5m), of which €10 million is payable immediately. Additional consideration of up to €9.5 million may become payable, subject to various appearance and performance criteria being satisfied. Arsenal does not expect any of the above sums, other than the initial €10 million fee, to become payable in its current financial year.”

So what do we believe? Arsenal are trying to say the transfer was relatively cheap whilst Sevilla are saying it was more expensive than Beckham. Well the truth is believe neither. It will be somewhere in between though nearer the statement of the Arsenal board than the Sevilla president

In short the transfer of Juan Antonio Reyes is significant because of its timing, its surprise value, the fact that Arsenal were supposed to be debt ridden and because now we can win the Champions League.

Adam

Established Member
Good writing DLC. Some interesting bits.

One part to clear up - the figures the board released to the stock exchange are correct - they have to be.

DLC

seanconvey66 said:
How long did that take to type!

Bout 90 minutes as i had to think of the stuff as i wrote them down

Adam said:
Good writing DLC. Some interesting bits.

One part to clear up - the figures the board released to the stock exchange are correct - they have to be.

Then the Sevilla chairman is a bigger conman than i gave him credit for :D

Arsenal Quotes

Arsène Wenger's idea is not only to play good football. It's to play good football to win. In my day, we knew that with our style we could hurt teams and win trophies too. But we did it our way, with the positional game, passing, movement.

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom