• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Klopp vs Arteta: Analysing the Process

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
I put this comparison together as a lot of folks keep comparing Arteta's process to Klopp's process.

Arteta's spend
Winter 19/20: $8.8M
Season 20/21: $94.6M
Season 21/22: $184.16M
Total: $287.5M

Arteta's on the pitch record
Season 19/20 (Half Season)

• 8th place (56 pts)
  • Kicked out of Europa League by Olympiacos at Round of 32
  • Kicked out of EFL cup by Liverpool
  • FA Cup winners
Season 20/21
  • 8th place (61 pts)
  • Kicked out of Europa League by Villareal (Semi-Final)
  • Kicked out of EFL cup by Manchester City (Quarter Final)
  • Kicked out of FA cup by Southampton (4th Round)
Season 21/22
  • ?? (Currently 4 points ahead of last season)
  • No Europe
  • Kicked out of EFL cup by Liverpool (Semi-final)
  • Kicked out of FA cup by Nottingham Forest (3rd Round)
Klopp's spend
Winter 15/16: $0M
Season 16/17: $87.89M
Season 17/18: $191.27M
Total: $279M

Klopp's on the pitch record
Season 15/16 (Half Season)

• 8th place (60 pts)
  • Europa League Runners-up (Beaten by Sevilla)
  • EFL cup Runners-up (Beaten by Manchester City)
  • Kicked out of FA Cup by 4th round
Season 16/17
  • 4th Place (76 pts)
  • EFL Cup Semi-Finals (Kicked out by Southampton)
  • Kicked out of FA cup by 4th Round
  • No Europe
Season 17/18
  • 4th Place (75 pts)
  • Champions League Runners Up (Beaten by Real Madrid)
  • Kicked out of EFL cup by 3rd Round
  • Kicked out of FA cup by 4th Round
Head-to-Head Comparison (Klopp vs Arteta first 2.5 seasons)

KloppArteta
8th (60pts) [Half Season]8th (56pts) [Half Season]
4th (76 pts)8th (61 pts)
4th (75 pts)??? (Currently +4pts from last season)

Closing thoughts
Klopp was able to take the same spend as Arsenal over the last 2 years and build a PL and CL winning team. Klopp is proof that a club with Arsenal resources can compete for the top trophies in football. This is the difference a top manager and DOF can make to a team.

Sources:
  1. 2015–16 Liverpool F.C. season - Wikipedia
  2. 2016–17 Liverpool F.C. season - Wikipedia
  3. 2017–18 Liverpool F.C. season - Wikipedia
  4. 2019–20 Arsenal F.C. season - Wikipedia
  5. 2019–20 Arsenal F.C. season - Wikipedia

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Klopp turns his players into world class or something close to that, and I don't see the same with Arteta. That's without going into a big hate discussion on Arteta. Klopp is more similar to Wenger with all that and that was the case even at Dortmund.

Arteta is a first team coach at best, shouldn't even be compared to legends. Unfortunately for us, Edu is just as bad as him and we've managed to waste loads of money, but fans will still complain about Kroenke I bet

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Klopp had a clear plan and style of football which served him well at Dortmund for however many years. He also made Dortmund players into stars.

Arteta had no managerial experience or style of football and was nothing more than a coach.

The 'closing thought' is correct, give a top manager the resources and you will get results, Arteta was an amateur, it still amazes me how he was appointed, Jamie O'Hara had more experience than Arteta but no way would anyone want him as manager, its madness what sitting next to Pep done for his CV.

You hire an amateur and you get amateur performance.

There is probably some pie eating bloke called Dave managing in lower leagues/semi-pro football who had more experience than Arteta yet here we are..

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
Klopp is in a different stratosphere as a coach and has actually proved this at three separate clubs.

Arteta is a chancer in comparison. We will see where we finish at the end of the season… if it’s outside top 6, he will need to go. Simple as.
He should go even if he finishes top 4. Arteta is clearly the wrong person. Fire him and bring someone else on board.

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
Also, the majority of this forum lapped it up, absolutely knee deep in appointing a complete amateur in a stage where we needed another rebuild.
I honestly thought it was a joke when I first heard the rumours. It was such an absurd idea for a top club.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Also, the majority of this forum lapped it up, absolutely knee deep in appointing a complete amateur in a stage where we needed another rebuild.
I don't think his experience is an issue, it's his ego. Obviously, we would know about it if he worked somewhere else before Arsenal. It's just a good laugh when you see all the money invested and players signed by Arsenal since Arteta/Edu, our best player was actually free from the academy :lol:

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
Oh please can we not do this. Spare Arteta the humiliation of comparison and Klopp the insult.
Maybe I should compare him to Ole. Ole spent $350M and Arteta has spent $288M.

OLEArteta
Season 18/19: 6th (Half Season)Emery was in charge (Finished 5th)
Season 19/20: 3rd8th (Half Season)
Season 20/21: 2nd8th
DNFCurrently tracking +4pt ahead of last season

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
I don't think his experience is an issue, it's his ego. Obviously, we would know about it if he worked somewhere else before Arsenal. It's just a good laugh when you see all the money invested and players signed by Arsenal since Arteta/Edu, our best player was actually free from the academy :lol:

You say his experience isnt an issue then go on to list a flaw due to lack of experience being the issue.

That was my biggest objection at the time with appointing an amateur with zero managerial experience; everything is unknown be it ego, style, man management, personality etc.

And on top of all that this a man who came from City not a club up against it, a club who can throw money or erase any issue with no financial worry.

Feel like I'm just repeating myself from however many years ago now :lol:

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
You say his experience isnt an issue then go on to list a flaw due to lack of experience being the issue.

That was my biggest objection at the time with appointing an amateur with zero managerial experience; everything is unknown be it ego, style, man management, personality etc.
You don't develop talent with experience, and personality change is questionable as well. I'm gonna leave it there as we won't agree on this, but that's fine

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

In some ways it is probably unfair to compare because I'm not sure how many manager could have the same transformative effect that Klopp had and also Klopp had been a manager for over a decade prior to that already incredibly successful at Dortmund so obviously a beginner would struggle to match that.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
The Simpsons Reaction GIF

Arsenal Quotes

You kind of never leave Arsenal. How many comebacks do you make? At one point it will turn out to be a bad move. We all love the first Rocky but I'm not too sure about the last one.

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom