• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Klopp vs Arteta: Analysing the Process

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Arteta has won more Community Shields than Klopp, so I am happy.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Totally unfair comparison on Arteta because Klopp had almost 15 years of coaching experience in Germany before he even came to Liverpool. He's also being compared here to a generational manager in Klopp, these type of guys only come around once every so often.

The biggest problem here is Arteta was allowed to serve his apprenticeship at a club as big as Arsenal. He should've been serving his time at a Championship level club in England or even Spain. That's on the board though and it has unfortunately cost us many important years.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Totally unfair comparison on Arteta because Klopp had almost 15 years of coaching experience in Germany before he even came to Liverpool.
Klopp is often held up as a source of optimism to show what Arteta and Arsenal could be. Liverpool are regularly cited as the end game for all the non-oil/state backed clubs hence the comparison.

Comparing manager credentials is a waste of time obviously, but if there is zero hope of attaining anything close to what Pool are doing because Mikel doesn't have the chops then what are we really doing here?

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Wreck it Ralf saying how United need 10 new players, despite spending the same amount as City in the last 10 years...sums up how mad managers/coaching has become recently.

Rarely any trying to actually improve what they have, all about just buying new ones now.

I wonder if Arteta being Pep's assistant, with Baldy being the ultimate just buy more players guy, made Mikel like this?

I wonder if he spent more time with Wenger as a coach, would that have made him better suited to what Arsenal need.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Comparing manager credentials is a waste of time obviously, but if there is zero hope of attaining anything close to what Pool are doing because Mikel doesn't have the chops then what are we really doing here?

I've no idea. It was total lottery stuff to think we could pick a rookie out and do what Liverpool have done though, if that was the intention. They could work their way through 100 rookie coaches and maybe get 1 or 2 who reach that kind of level.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I get the comparison between the teams but I think its unfair to compare the managers the way they are. We've already got Klopp has more experience. Okay, so should we appoint Big Sam next if experience is the criteria?

Also unfair to say a manager that is green cannot be a success. All managers start somewhere and are inexperienced. Some take to it better than others. Zidane never managed a senior team before taking over Madrid. It worked out alright.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

I get the comparison between the teams but I think its unfair to compare the managers the way they are. We've already got Klopp has more experience. Okay, so should we appoint Big Sam next if experience is the criteria?

Also unfair to say a manager that is green cannot be a success. All managers start somewhere and are inexperienced. Some take to it better than others. Zidane never managed a senior team before taking over Madrid. It worked out alright.

So what are you saying? :lol:

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Wreck it Ralf saying how United need 10 new players, despite spending the same amount as City in the last 10 years...sums up how mad managers/coaching has become recently.

Rarely any trying to actually improve what they have, all about just buying new ones now.

I wonder if Arteta being Pep's assistant, with Baldy being the ultimate just buy more players guy, made Mikel like this?

I wonder if he spent more time with Wenger as a coach, would that have made him better suited to what Arsenal need.
Counter to that is boards ans fans demand immediate success so its impossible to give managers time. A new manager comes in theyll want their own players. Current players get pushed aside anr young players get pushed further down the pecking order.

Maybe there is method to our madness in allowing Arteta to continue :/

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

So what are you saying? :lol:
Arteta might be world class or a donkey in 14 years. Just because somebody is inexperienced doesnt mean they are rubbish. And just because someone is experienced doesnt mean they are brilliant.

If Arteta manages top 4 this season id say thats a very good return regardless of his level of experience. Then its over to next season and building on that success.

If he fluffs it this season he has shown 3 seasons of being consistently inconsistent. His experience is neither here nor there. Just like Emery you move on.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Well I've certainly never said experience is the be all and end all but I question what people expected from Mikel if they openly admit comparing him to Klopp is a complete waste of time.

Zidane has to do it elsewhere for me personally to consider him a top manager also. Madrid I think your biggest test is managing egos and I don't think it has the same challenges as an Arsenal or Pool.

I've said this before but we're pretty much stuck with Mikel whether we get 4th or not purely because of the squad he's now built. Our reliance on him compounds further once he gets "his" forwards too.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Well I've certainly never said experience is the be all and end all but I question what people expected from Mikel if they openly admit comparing him to Klopp is a complete waste of time.

I've said this before but we're pretty much stuck with Mikel whether we get 4th or not purely because of the squad he's now built. Our reliance on him compounds further once he gets "his" forwards too.
I dont think its a complete waste of time its more asking the right question. And the OP is flawed by referencing a fully completed 3rd season for Liverpool and having an incomplete season for us.

If we make a comparison over full seasons IMO the performances are very similiar. An FA cup win and a European semi vs A European final and a top 4 finish.

We need to finish this season to make a worthwhile comparison. If 4th remains elusive then its fair to say over the same period Liverpool and Klopp clearly out performed us. And maybe them we need a new manager to chase the Liverpool model.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Yes I think we can conclusively say that Klopp is a better manager than Arteta.

In terms of experience, that's a tricky one imho. Yes Klopp has "15 years more experience" than Arteta. But I think at a certain point experience becomes diminishing returns.

If you compare a manager with 10 years experience vs 20 years, by that point experience becomes less important and their achievements become more relevant.

That said 2.5 years isn't quite enough experience yet, but once Arteta has maybe 5 years under the belt, I think the "inexperience" argument can't really be used to defend him as much.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
Klopp elevates his players. I’m sure if he got Messi he would perform to a level we never seen before. Arteta doesn’t elevate his players

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
How you comparing a guy who won already title in Bundesliga got to CL final with Dortmund been managing since 2001 to guy who just start his managerial career in 2020? Seem unfair to me at least compare mikel after maybe another 10 years as manager.

Also klopp seem in love with almost all our youngsters so for us things going well. So the process you talking about going well with mikel or maybe another manager in future

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Another point to add, Liverpool was able to spend over 190M that season because of the Coutinho sale. Klopp does better in retaining/improving value of players while we like to shame the players in public and give money to them to leave.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Get the comparison as Arsenal and pre Liverpool Klopp are very similar clubs really. I don't think you can really compare Klopp, a proven winner and one of the greatest managers the games ever seen to a rookie like Arteta.

Also know its a touchy subject on here, but I do believe the level of the league has skyrocketed in the last few years. I think Arteta came into a more competitive league than Klopp did.

That's not an excuse for Arteta though, Klopps transformation of Liverpool should have been somewhat of a blueprint, I think Arteta has made so many mistakes.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I've no idea. It was total lottery stuff to think we could pick a rookie out and do what Liverpool have done though, if that was the intention. They could work their way through 100 rookie coaches and maybe get 1 or 2 who reach that kind of level.
Our board are essentially banking on Mikel to be the next Michael Jordan/Lewis Hamilton. Someone who comes in as a complete rookie and just dominates from the jump. A fairy tale basically.

...who runs one of the biggest clubs in the world like that?

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal is in my blood as well as my heart. I will always, always, always remember you guys. I said I was going to be a Gooner for life and I did not lie because when you are a Gooner, you will always be a Gooner. This club is in my heart and will remain in my heart forever.

Thierry Henry

Latest posts

Top Bottom