• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IslingtonBornandbred

Sure Arteta would haven been an Arsenal great if he joined earlier. Near impossible in just 150 games though & especially when your legs have gone for the back 30.

Solid captain, good guy & the midfielder that fit at the time.

If he is next Arsenal manager you have to have concerns about ambition of the club & who has power now. Buy me a watch... All in.

You know that watch was bought with the fine money collected from the players. Usually it's given to charity or used to fund a team night out or dinner or something but Arteta used some of it to buy the bald headed one a watch. Should be banned from the club for that alone.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Yes because Leeds got way into debt and banked on CL football. They had an excellent squad then they sold Rio and went downhill from there. We have always been in good sgape financially before Wenger came. Dean brought Diamond Danny in to push us onto the next level, which we did.

Dein brought in Danny Fiszman because, like all English clubs at the time, Arsenal needed an infusion of cash. That's why the Premier League was formed. The game was lagging behind the leagues in Spain and Italy. It was Arsenal's success under Wenger that made the club so attractive to television rights holders.

And just because Arsenal is being run in a financially responsible way today doesn't mean it will be at some point down the road. In fact, if many fans got their wish, they'd be spending like drunken sailors with Kroenke expected to pick up the tab.

Things could get much worse.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Dein brought in Danny Fiszman because, like all English clubs at the time, Arsenal needed an infusion of cash. That's why the Premier League was formed. The game was lagging behind the leagues in Spain and Italy. It was Arsenal's success under Wenger that made the club so attractive to television rights holders.

And just because Arsenal is being run in a financially responsible way today doesn't mean it will be at some point down the road. In fact, if many fans got their wish, they'd be spending like drunken sailors with Kroenke expected to pick up the tab.

Things could get much worse.
You Speculate to accumulate success brings in more money.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
FFS are you daft? I'm only commenting on the current season. Why do you feel the need to defend what Wenger has accomplished in the past? We all know and appreciate it. The point was that THIS season is the worst in the PL era, and I know this is subjective so that's why I included IMO at the end.

Funny how you slate Cup Winner's Cup win in the first paragraph but then quickly point out we can win still win it this year as if it would make it somehow a successful season. Make up your mind.

Let me quote you: "That dip came after winning 2 league titles and European Cup in the span of 4 seasons which was natural and expected back then. And the season we were 10th we've done the cup double mind you." You said Arsenal won a European Cup back in the early 90s. You weren't commenting on the current season. You said "back then." And since the European Cup is what is now the Champions League, they aren't winning it this year either.

Also, the European Cup Winners Cup is not the same thing as the Europa League. The Europa League is what used to be known as the UEFA Cup (since 1971). The Cup Winners Cup was merged into it in 1999, but it was never anything more than a competition for domestic cup winners. The standard of quality wasn't that high.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Yes, I do. And it can happen to any club if they become mismanaged. Thus, things can get a lot worse.
The club wasnt just mismanaged. There were trials, management fall outs, there was excessive spending on non footballing matters and excessive risk. Everything spiralled out of control. Company cars for everyone changing flowers every day in the directors box.

It's an interesting read and one that shouldn't happen to us unless we ever got relegated from the Pl. And even then we still have huge cash reserves and two of the richest individuals in the world of football as share holders. We have safety nets in place and have spread our risk into the stadium and player development.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Think there was rumours about it but he decided to go and work for Pep.
Wenger said they didn't want to create "artificial positions" for him. Clearly wasn't a case of rating him highly and doing whatever it takes to keep him.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
The club wasnt just mismanaged. There were trials, management fall outs, there was excessive spending on non footballing matters and excessive risk. Everything spiralled out of control. Company cars for everyone changing flowers every day in the directors box.

It's an interesting read and one that shouldn't happen to us unless we ever got relegated from the Pl. And even then we still have huge cash reserves and two of the richest individuals in the world of football as share holders. We have safety nets in place and have spread our risk into the stadium and player development.

All part of mismanagement. Leeds borrowed £60 million against Champions League qualification and advancement after reaching the semifinal. Then they missed out two years in a row, despite spending big sums on players. By the time Ridsdale quit in 2003 they were £103 million in debt. They gambled and lost. Then they had to sell off everything and haven't been seen since.

You don't think it could happen at Arsenal and it is highly unlikely. But don't think that it couldn't. If the club were financially mismanaged by Gazidis or a successor, do you really think Kroenke (or Usmanov, who doesn't even have a say) would cover the losses? No way. They'd sell and cut their losses. We can't know what will happen in the future because we don't know how the club will be run.

Thus, back to the original point, things could get worse than finishing in 6th place. A lot worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

In 1997/98 we became English champions as I had set myself three missions to carry out which I felt were essential. One: to have an impact on the result and the team's playing style. Two: to foster the player's individual development. Three: to strengthen the structure of the club and enhance its global influence.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 26

Talks have taken place between Marcus Rashford and Mikel Arteta [AFCamden]

Nothing is decided between Arsenal and Emile Smith Rowe [Fabrizio Romano]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom