• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Looking closer to home players wise.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I wouldn't go that far - there are some hidden gems to be had. Everyones slobbing on Liverpools willy but some of their most important pickups (Wijnaldum, Robertson, even someone on the fringes like Shaqiri) came from teams who weren't up to much. I'm not as high on a lot of the players named but there's others.

We really need to stop thinking we're gonna copy Liverpool's path to success. I feel like Arsenal fans mention them so much in comparison and optimism but we don't have Klopp or players we can sell for high fees. We'd sign Wijnaldum and Robertson and go from 9th to 6th, Liverpool are where they are because of star players.

BigPoppaPump

If Pepe was so good he wouldnt be at Arsenal.

If Bergkamp had been so good at Inter he wouldnt have came to Arsenal.

Stupid idea.

And unless you havent realised we too are behind Sheffield United in the league and something like 1 point above Burnley. So what does that say about us? Where are we going to sign players from? Barcelona and Madrid?

What is the point you're trying to make?

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
We really need to stop thinking we're gonna copy Liverpool's path to success. I feel like Arsenal fans mention them so much in comparison and optimism but we don't have Klopp or players we can sell for high fees. We'd sign Wijnaldum and Robertson and go from 9th to 6th, Liverpool are where they are because of star players.

Liverpool got top 4 with Van Dijk and Allison the so called star players. None of the other players before were "star players".

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Well we're probably not gonna go out and get the star foreign players that everyone else wants us to buy either so :lol:. Can't put the cart before the horse, mate. We went and got one of the star attackers in France and people are already pissing on his grave because he hasn't been the difference! So why think of solutions? Let's just **** on everything - **** on the Hale End boys, **** on the idea of signing players from England, **** on the foreign buys, the recruitment team, the managers, the bunch of clowns we have in the squad etc. Let's all pack up and go home so we can have an angry circlejerk like real men.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

Its because they have successfully bought low and sold high. That's way easier to emulate than City, the other contenders for the title.

Our youth experiment & British core under Wenger didn't exactly work out so Hale End gang will have their sceptics. Its only natural a lot of fans would look at Liverpool, we are not the only fans to do so.

You're right though there was a lot more to it than meets the eye and we will have to come up with our own way.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
What is the point you're trying to make?

You said signing players from teams getting beat was ridiculous. A lot of my suggestions of players are from teams either above us or just below us.

My question to you is if signing from those clubs is ridiculous which clubs should we be signing from? Real? City? PSG

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
It's not irrelevant. People are saying we cannot buy x y or z because Arteta thinks that the best formation is 4 3 3 and everyone plays 4 3 3 with the defenders building up the play.

Everyone thinks that is the best system because Barcelona and City do that. But that's where it becomes irrelevant because Barca and City could play probably a different formation every week and still win most of their matches. Why? Because they have the best teams 99% of the time.

I meant arguing about whether Conte's default was 3 at the back or whether he wanted to implement 433, the relevant thing is he brought a different formation in to the mix and won with the Chelsea team that had limitations which is what you;re arguing. Conte's desired approach is a tangent.

I personally like 433 because of its adaptability and you can see how it improved Belgium etc. footballing ability when they adapted it.

Playing 3 at the back might be better if we done a 3-5-2 like Leicester do at times, allowing us to get Auba and Laca linking up top (they were great at linking up last year and is what kept us going for so long), while also letting us get 3 in midfield so we can still play through the middle and also use the flanks. I'm not a big fan of the 3-4-3 we use considering the players we have and I feel like its mean to get the best out of Pepe but doesn't seem to be working for whatever reason.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
What midfielder is better than Rice? Willock?

What defender is better than Tarkowski? Medley?

Willock and Medley are no use to us for maybe 4 years. By then we could be in a much bigger mess. We need players now.

Had you heard of Rice before he broke into the West Ham team? I suspect not. Has Willock even had 2 starts in a row in midfield? Medley hasn’t even had a kick. Don’t conflate talent and experience.

I’ve no objection with pursuing better players in areas of need but none of those players will be sold for any less then 3x their actual worth just for being English. This approach buying the likes of Iwobi and Keane is why teams like Everton never trouble top 4.

If we were smart we’d give our current crop of players at least enough exposure to fleece a team like them for significant Ps.

I’d rather loan out our youngsters or sell with a buy back and 1 or 2 CL pedigree footballers than buy any more medium to good players.

BigPoppaPump

Well we're probably not gonna go out and get the star foreign players that everyone else wants us to buy either so :lol:. Can't put the cart before the horse, mate. We went and got one of the star attackers in France and people are already pissing on his grave because he hasn't been the difference! So why think of solutions? Let's just **** on everything - **** on the Hale End boys, **** on the idea of signing players from England, **** on the foreign buys, the recruitment team, the managers, the bunch of clowns we have in the squad etc. Let's all pack up and go home so we can have an angry circlejerk like real men.

I'm not trying to stop optimism, but I don't like the idea that players are gonna be better for us just because they're English and used to the league and weather or whatever. We should we trying to buy the best talents in Europe, not PL players getting relegated.

BigPoppaPump

Its because they have successfully bought low and sold high. That's way easier to emulate than City, the other contenders for the title.

Our youth experiment & British core under Wenger didn't exactly work out so Hale End gang will have their sceptics. Its only natural a lot of fans would look at Liverpool, we are not the only fans to do so.

You're right though there was a lot more to it than meets the eye and we will have to come up with our own way.

Well the model we're most like is Wolves and they're getting some success from being in bed with Mendes. Portugal continuously produce great players and Wolves filled their team with them. They'll bare fruit from that in the future when they sell some of the players and get good money and can continue to build.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I'm not trying to stop optimism, but I don't like the idea that players are gonna be better for us just because they're English and used to the league and weather or whatever. We should we trying to buy the best talents in Europe, not PL players getting relegated.
Sometimes talented players who can fit your needs play for **** teams in the Championship or the PL! I agree that we shouldn't sign players just because they're English - I'm not begging for Arsenal to sign Tarkowski or Stephens ffs. But we shouldn't ignore talent from our own shores either, if the deal is right and they fit the profile needed.

If Godfrey or Buendia was available for a good price, I'd consider signing them 100%.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Had you heard of Rice before he broke into the West Ham team? I suspect not. Has Willock even had 2 starts in a row in midfield? Medley hasn’t even had a kick. Don’t conflate talent and experience.

I’ve no objection with pursuing better players in areas of need but none of those players will be sold for any less then 3x their actual worth just for being English. This approach buying the likes of Iwobi and Keane is why teams like Everton never trouble top 4.

If we were smart we’d give our current crop of players at least enough exposure to fleece a team like them for significant Ps.

I’d rather loan out our youngsters or sell with a buy back and 1 or 2 CL pedigree footballers than buy any more medium to good players.

Selling young players is only profitable if they have big talent and move to better teams. Selling Iwobi for 35m isnt going to make us have enough money to do anything special.

When the likes of Leciester etc sell their top players they make huge money. Mahrez 60m. Maguire 80m. Liverpool selling Coutinho 120m. Watford sold Richarlson for 50m. Regardless of whether those clubs who bought those players were right or rich or whatever that doesnt matter.

We are one of the biggest clubs in England and what's the biggest transfer fee we have recieved? 35m?

United what 80m with Ronaldo about 10 or more years ago?

Chelsea? 90m for a player at 27 with 1 year left on his contract.

Sp**s what about 70-80m for Bale?

It shows that this club in the last 10 years hasnt identified young talent, developed it and made it world class. While all the other clubs have. And that's the difference between us being able to reinvest and not.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
We are probably at our lowest in terms of attractiveness as a club, in God knows how long...

1. Not successful.
2. No renowned manager like Arsène.
3. No Champions League.
4. No mega money available to spend.

...also, we probably have more teams ahead of us in the pecking order in England, than ever before.

It will be a while, if ever, that we can attract big talents again, it will be a slow climb up...getting some quality players from within the league could be a good start though, in theory they more than likely will hit the ground running much quicker...even relegated clubs can offer that, see Liverpool with Robertson and Gini...we just have to do our scouting, with a little luck, and identify the right players.

We just have to try and be good with transfers in and out of the club, for Arsenal these days this seems impossible :lol:

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

We are probably at our lowest in terms of attractiveness as a club, in God knows how long...

1. Not successful.
2. No renowned manager like Arsène.
3. No Champions League.
4. No mega money available to spend.

...also, we probably have more teams ahead of us in the pecking order in England, than ever before.
You’d be surprised.

Kids who only know City and Chelsea probably wouldn’t come if they had their pick but most man in the prem, France, Spain, Brazil would come honestly, we just don’t like to buy.

Arsenal Quotes

Ian Wright was the incredible striker for whom those around him sometimes found hard to control especially the opponents. He was an extrovert, hyperactive, and had endured an extremely hard life. His playing style was instinctive, and he had that killer instinct, a player like no other.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom