• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Manchester City v Arsenal - Saturday February 2, 12.45pm

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
Strong performance. Clichy can be excused..he has been solid...for too long. 3 points in the bag. 6 points ahead of Chelski. A bit of cushion. Still a long way to go..but we are in there.and to be very fair we haven't looked like losing a game for sometime now. Good time to be clickin....

Nyingmeh

Mbaki Mutahaba said:
Strong performance. Clichy can be excused..he has been solid...for too long. 3 points in the bag. 6 points ahead of Chelski. A bit of cushion. Still a long way to go..but we are in there.and to be very fair we haven't looked like losing a game for sometime now. Good time to be clickin....

my mate said clichy did not want to pass to Lehman because he was worried about lehman trying to do some dribbling heroics.

That aside, clichy has just proved to me he is humman. Honestly I was beginning to wonder.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
KY said:
i'm just curious cause if Wright is the one, then we've never had 2 20 league goals a season strikers at any one time but yet there is awlays one every season. ( i think) wright, henry now ...adebayor.(soon anyways) :D

if we ever had 2 20 goals strikers, we would dominate the world.

anyway, name me a team that have 2 20 goal strikers. lol

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

arsenal_hleb said:
KY said:
i'm just curious cause if Wright is the one, then we've never had 2 20 league goals a season strikers at any one time but yet there is awlays one every season. ( i think) wright, henry now ...adebayor.(soon anyways) :D

if we ever had 2 20 goals strikers, we would dominate the world.

anyway, name me a team that have 2 20 goal strikers. lol
Certainly not Arsenal. We have 3 :wink:

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?this ... oal+now%27

On the performance...
"Overall we controlled the game and scored every goals. We lost a fraction of concentration and it came back to 2-1. From then on it was a case of not making a mistake at the back and try as quickly as possible to get the third goal. We got caught in the between the two.

"We did not concede a goal and kept good control of the game but Manchester City as well wanted to wait until the last 15 minutes to bring the strikers on. The game opened up and we naturally got the third goal. I believe it is a deserved win."

On Adebayor not going to the African Nations Cup...
"At the moment I am glad in every match that he stayed at home from the African Nations Cup."

On whether he swap him for Ronaldo right now...
"I don't consider the problem like that. I have a lot of respect for Ronaldo but I am happy with the players I have. They are different players. I believe that Ronaldo is more of a winger type and Adebayor is a real centre forward. But he has made big improvement this season and has been remarkably consistent. I like the fact that he not only scores goal but he had a big impact on the two centre backs today. And there are two good centre backs."

On where he has improved...
"His movement off the ball, his finishing, his calmness. I don't know if some people have seen when he first came to us he was not really composed in front of goal. Now he looks really composed."

On setting targets for Adebayor...
"On the contrary I have said that for me the top scorer in the table is not important. I had seasons when we had the best striker in the Premier League and we did not win. What is important is that the team wins so I asked him to focus on his team performance."

On Adebayor's character...
"He is a generous type of guy. He has big, big stamina plus great strength and power. He loves to play."

On his potential...
"When you are a long time on the job you don't set any limits on anybody. Human beings can always surprise you. You accept that. His form is linked with his mental state. He enjoys it all. Above all there is a great understanding in the team. That makes people few comfortable and confident. That is where you see the best of the team."

_scorpion_

Established Member
Anzac said:
Anyone else remotely concerned that we had 9 or more corners but didn't get a header on target to force one save from their 'keeper - despite the height of Ade & Diaby in addition to our CBs?????

I must admitt I was.

Then I realised that I had nothing else to complain about.

It was a good solid win against a team that has not lost at home and were top of the league too.....so I'm over worryng about it.

True Gooner

Established Member
I just realised that we wont see anymore Arsenal games till the end of the internationals...

:(

On the plus side our players can recover from their injuries now

Mostarac

Established Member
Looks like we have really regained the momentum ahead of the other competitors Manchester United and Chelsea after the matches today. Good to get another resounding win this time against a solid team, the international pause will do the world of good for our team. There is nothing more to say about Adebayor, the guy is truly world-class at the moment, Eduardo`s goal was great aswell.

Mr Wolf

Yes, Ade is a world class striker now, I think that nobody (included AW) would expect him to improve his play so much.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
_scorpion_ said:
Anzac said:
Anyone else remotely concerned that we had 9 or more corners but didn't get a header on target to force one save from their 'keeper - despite the height of Ade & Diaby in addition to our CBs?????

I must admitt I was.

Then I realised that I had nothing else to complain about.

It was a good solid win against a team that has not lost at home and were top of the league too.....so I'm over worryng about it.

I also noticed that somehow our corners were differently taken today than the classic way off throwing the ball high so headers can be taken.

If you had noticed the corner shots were kinda straight, just like a pass from midfield. I guess it is down to Becks advices on training.

Anyone saw Gallas on TV shouting at Senderos to tell edu to pass the corner there and then Senderos tells Edu : "Lift it up" :D :D

I guess i have too much time on my hands right now.. :D

Anzac

Established Member
Another thing I noticed was that we were getting too flat in attack around their area - no depth, everyone in a line. Classic example was in the 2nd hald when Edu tried to pass for Cesc on the right & it was cut out by their defence - Ade was between them but they were basically flat - Ade had the markers on him in the middle & could have pulled back to offer an option / drag the defenders out.

And apart from Ade's first goal I don't think that any ball was actually pulled back from the line to a player - too many were crossed in flat - even Ade's 2nd goal was from a partial clearance off one of our players.

Alfonso

Established Member
Mr Wolf said:
Yes, Ade is a world class striker now, I think that nobody (included AW) would expect him to improve his play so much.

Ade is playing extremely well but I dont think he can yet be called World Class, its far too premature. You dont become world class after just one months good peformance. He still has to peform in the CL, a competition in which he has yet to score for Arsenal. Furthermore, he has won nothing yet with Arsenal. If we win trophies at the end of the season and he has been a massive contribution then he will increase his world class credentials.

Also, we have to see if he can carry on this form for the rest of the season. As we have seen before Ade is prone to going 5 or 6 games without a goal and then will score in 6 straight, which one can argue that he is a confidence player. I want to see how he reacts when he is back in a bad spell, that would be a great indication of his potential world class ability.

Nontheless I am more than happy with his season so far and he has exceeded all expectations and he definately has the potential to be a world beater. I do get a sense that we are seeing an Arsenal legend in the making, he has gone from cult hero to potential Henry successor and our main man. In the summer I wont be suprised to see a majority of Arsenal fans choosing Adebayor as the name on the back of their Arsenal shirts.

Gurgen

Established Member
We all know you have your own special criteria Alfonso, but that doesn't make Ade any less world class.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
to be fair to Alfonso on this, Ade is in the PROCESS of becoming "world class"... i dont think he is there yet.. a longer run of form would be required to be truly considered world class....

on a contrasting note, Alfonso, he has only gone through a barren patch once this year, where he didnt score for 5 games... but 2 of those games invluded Liverpool & ManUtd (the only games we ddn't actually WIN) and he was playing as the lone striker in those games.. (the dreaded 4-5-1)

he has certainly stepped up this year to become our main guy (especially in the absence of van Persie).. im sure we are all hoping it will long continue....

Alfonso

Established Member
USArsenal said:
to be fair to Alfonso on this, Ade is in the PROCESS of becoming "world class"... i dont think he is there yet.. a longer run of form would be required to be truly considered world class....

That is more of a reasonable statement. We are guilty of getting carried away a bit on Arsenal Mania. What happens if Ade goes a month without scoring, does he get demoted to just being Premiership class?

If Adebayor is considered world class then so are players like Robbie Keane, Anelka etc. You can add Eduardo and Van Perise to that list as well.

I wouldnt even put Adebayor in the top 5 strikers in the EPL. Yes, he is on great form, but Ade still has a bit to go in order to being world class.

Arsenal Quotes

In 1997/98 we became English champions as I had set myself three missions to carry out which I felt were essential. One: to have an impact on the result and the team's playing style. Two: to foster the player's individual development. Three: to strengthen the structure of the club and enhance its global influence.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom