• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

manu - arse, ratings

True Gooner

Established Member
Quality analysis ricky. :)

Like you I don't think van Persie is suited to the lone striker role, especially against teams of United's quality

the dawn raids

Established Member
kooldawg said:
I think he did a decent job mate, the same as Song in fact. Your entitled to your opinion, but both Song and Denilson had a decent game. Both got caught out in position at times, but they did the job they were assigned and made sure that Manures midfield did not click.

my initial reply was an overreaction in the heat of the moment. but i still feel denilson wasnt on par with song; his distrubition left a lot to be desired imo. and song also was much more of an active participant when United countered.

the dawn raids

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
Typical Denilson display - some good parts and some bad parts. His passing from deep was fairly accurate, although he still picks the wrong option far too often. Also caught dwelling on the ball once or twice, but did make some clever interceptions to initiate attacks. However, his passing in the final third is just criminally bad, had 5+ chances to play in a teammate and failed every time. It wasn't always easy, but we should expect better from an Arsenal midfielder.

describes denilson as a player to the letter. top notch posting.

Dennis10

True Gooner said:
Quality analysis ricky. :)

Like you I don't think van Persie is suited to the lone striker role, especially against teams of United's quality

Ricky's reanalysis was absolutely spot on, although I would generously raise Eboue's rating with one or two :) Right after the game I actually uttered the excact same words about Eboue: despicable performance. Only in norwegian..

I'm confident van Persie will contribute adequately as the man down the middle if he remains there, but I agree there is better ways to utilize him. However, his quality, work rate and fitness makes him an almost undroppable player for us even though he is experiencing a frustrating patch these days.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Almunia - 4 - I think that Almunia did make a rushing decision of charging toward Rooney. But the real problem lies in the biased ref, as anyone can see the ref's failure in awarding Ashavin a deserved penalty. I do, howerver, have a very big problem with Almunia's constant ball hoofing. There were a couple of times when the ball was backpassed to him and defenders like Vermaelen were asking Almunia to rebuild the momentum from the back. But Almunia just hoofed the ball straight to ManU. ManU did started good collective pressing in the midfield and affected Diaby, Denilson, and Song's influences. Maybe Almunia was a bit nervous that's why he hoofed the ball. Yet the team shape (with Robin as lone striker) on Saturday was set out to play ground football. Aimless long balls only made song and other midfielders' jobs more difficult. Al didn't even try to hoof the ball into the zone where ours attackers had numerical advantages.

Clichy - 6 - defensively OK

Vermaelen - 6 - solid

Gallas - 6 - Solid and led the defense well

Sagna - 6 - solid and offered some good crosses

Song - 6 - doing well in the most part of the game. Defensively solid and read the game well. I am quite impressed with his minimal approach in ball handling and his decisions whether to break through his immediate defenders or pass the ball sideway. But in the second half, he didn't get much help from Denilson and Diaby.

Denilson - 5 - Ran through some patches. Obviusly he was targeted by ManU's midfielders, who know Denilson can easily lose possession if got knudged. The pitche condition seemed get Denilson a bit. Some of his first touches looked like he was caught by the ball. His tendency of prolonging ball possession didn't help him to get away from ManU's offensive closing-down either.

Diaby - 4 - ManU's pressing and espcially THAT OG really affected him as the game went on. He and Denilson didn't move the ball away from ManU's pressure quickly enough. he would have redeemed himself, had he scored that goal with his left foot.

Ashavin - 7 - he should have earned the team with at least two goals. Shame that dicky ref went blind.

Eboue - 5 - Should have been substituted since 60 mins.

V. Persie - 5 - Still in search of his scoring touches.

Bendtner - 5

Eduardo - 5 - His constant withdrawing to the midfield was baffling. A poacher should stay close to danger zone, nto away from it.

Ramsey - 5

Wenger - 7 - I have some minor critics with his substitutions. However, I do feel for the manager for the fourth official's stupid advice and the ref's * decision. I still can't understand why the last minute goal was disallowed. The ball was not meat for Gallas and Gallas was not interfering ManU keeper when Robin scored.

The officials - Very biased and lousy display from these people. I don't understand how come Arsenal got more cautions than ManU. Fletcher should have been sent off give the sheer number of his fouls.

I really hope the boys can feel the injustice and bounce back in their next game. That's the mentality that Vieira and the Invincible would have. If players including Diaby wants to emulate what Vieira achieved, start with that fighting attitude.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
tactica442 said:
Clichy - 6 - defensively OK

Vermaelen - 6 - solid

Gallas - 6 - Solid and led the defense well

Sagna - 6 - solid and offered some good crosses

I still can't understand why the last minute goal was disallowed. The ball was not meat for Gallas and Gallas was not interfering ManU keeper when Robin scored.
i cant see how you gave Clichy the same as Gallas, TV or Sagna.. and they were all considerably better than a 6.. thought our defence was fantastic..

and the goal was disallowed because Gallas was offsides.. the ball didnt have to be "meant" for Gallas as it was hoofed into the box, but he was in an offsides position when going after the ball, knocking it back for RvP.. that was one of the few decisions they actually got correct, as much as it pained me at the time..

banduan

Established Member
ibby said:
I would love to see what you fellas thought you United's individual performances if you're willing to give our players 4s and 5s. Had Diaby not scored an own goal, he could have easily got MOTM today.

I wouldn't have given out 4's and 5's to us, I'd have handed out 5's and 6's. And woulda done the same for them, perhaps worse.

We dominated them not because we were so good, but because they were rather bad.

fabo

6.51 / 10
the dawn raids said:
ricky1985 said:
Typical Denilson display - some good parts and some bad parts. His passing from deep was fairly accurate, although he still picks the wrong option far too often. Also caught dwelling on the ball once or twice, but did make some clever interceptions to initiate attacks. However, his passing in the final third is just criminally bad, had 5+ chances to play in a teammate and failed every time. It wasn't always easy, but we should expect better from an Arsenal midfielder.

describes denilson as a player to the letter. top notch posting.

Great analysis Ricky. And this part sums up Denilson's match to a tee - only I'd also mention that he pressed brilliantly and rarely stops running. He was our best midfielder but I feel our judgement is clouded with regard Song and Denilson because of the improved performances. None of them produce imperious displays that we've become accustomed to over the years, both of their games are littered with errors throughout 90 minutes.

And I remember the opportunites Denny had to play RVP in - if it was Cesc he would have been through. Both shaping into good, solid players but major improving to do if we are to win trophies.

MAK 14

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
Right, I've watched the game again.

Almunia - 4. He had very little to do in the whole match. Claimed one cross well in the first half, but ultimately cost us the game with a moment of sheer madness.

Sagna - 9. Absolutely destroyed Nani! Started a little slowly, Nani got in one or two nothing crosses from his side in the first 10 minutes or so, but once he warmed to his task he was absolutely imperious thereafter. Criticisms of Sagna's attacking pay yesterday are revisionism at it's best. He put in 5 very good balls into great areas, and the stick-on penalty Arshavin won was as a result of a great cross by Sagna. He bombed up and down the right hand side, unfortunately Eboue was the player he was trying to link with.

Gallas - 9. Made one or two errors in judgement, but the only time Rooney wasn't in his pocket was when Vermaelen picked him up and put him in his. World class at the moment, best defender in the League hands down!

Vermaelen - 8. Zen like in his composure. Ultra calm on the ball, and completely dominated Rooney from start to finish. Also dealt with Vidic from corners and set-pieces very well - they must have had about 10-15 corners/set-pieces (because that was their only threat) and Vidic got the better of him twice. Both times he challenged him hard, but the ball broke to Vidic. Very impressive. If this was his first real test he passed with flying colours.

Clichy - 7. Made some poor decisions defensively, dwelling on the ball once in our box, almost fatally. And still isn't 100% sure where exactly he should be when he comes narrow and the ball is switched to his side. The time when Valencia shot over (with O'Shea overlapping) he made a really poor decision not to get close to Valencia to start with. The best word to describe his offensive game yesterday is atrocious. Gave the ball away far too many times. Owned Valencia one-on-one though, but at this point he is definitely the weak link of the back four.

Song - 7. Made some extremely good tackles and interceptions. Absolutely roasted Giggs for pace on one occasion also. Some good passing under pressure, but also some loose moments where he was caught on the ball or gave it away under pressure. Misses having Fabregas alongside him, he knows he can just give him the ball and relax.

Denilson - 7. Typical Denilson display - some good parts and some bad parts. His passing from deep was fairly accurate, although he still picks the wrong option far too often. Also caught dwelling on the ball once or twice, but did make some clever interceptions to initiate attacks. However, his passing in the final third is just criminally bad, had 5+ chances to play in a teammate and failed every time. It wasn't always easy, but we should expect better from an Arsenal midfielder.

Diaby - 4. Now I've heard lots of people say 'the own goal aside, he played well'. So on re-watching the game I made a conscious effort to really analyse Diaby's performance, and I feel he was a passenger for the practically the whole game. He didn't tackle or make interceptions like Song and Denilson. His passing was absolutely horrible, also showed a lack of effort in his pressing. There were definitely one or two good moments from him, the skewed shot wide, where he showed fantastic balance to weave his way through, and sit Nemanja Vidic on his arse. Also the break down the right where Rooney very nearly lashed out at him. But overall he was a liability who offered very little to us in both offense and attack. He is not a centre midfielder, nor will he ever be.

Eboue - 0. The worst player on the pitch, bar none. Astonishingly bad. This is not through anger or dislike, he simply was incredibly bad. Move, after move, after move broke down because of him. He missed a great chance at 1-0, completely missing the ball at the back post. He also one of the laziest members of our team - guess who wasn't closing down when Giggs had all the time in the world to pick that through ball for Rooney? You gueesed it. Dispicable performance, when you consider he dived embarrisngly as well, he shouldn't be staring any games soon.

Van Persie - 7. I was wrong!!! I let my previous feelings about Robin's performances cloud my judgement. He wasn't poor, just very isolated. He held the ball up well most of the time, and made some very good runs, but some woeful passing from Denilson meant it came to nothing. Also outstripped Brown and Vidic for pace quite a few times. I've been critical of his performances this season, but one thing I've always said is he is much quicker than he is given credit for. I still don't feel the lone striker roles suits him, but I'm more comfortable about him contributing in the season ahead.

Arshavin - 7. He needs to get fully-fit, because he is unplayable when he slips into gear. Should have had a penalty, scored a world class goal, showed blistering speed to set-up Van Persie, played a brilliant whipped cross into the box that Eboue inexplicably stood and watched (which had Wenger going ballistic). He's absolutely world class, but just not fit. Sort it out Andrej. Would also like to say that you can actually see on his face that he just can't beleive the sheer stupidity of Eboue, Denilson (to a lesser degree) and Diaby at times.

Subs

No real impact.
Fantastic analysis, Ricky. I agree with it all 100%, except a 0 for Eboue might be a little harsh, but i get what you mean.

That's why i said in my original ratings that i thought Van Persie did very well. I mean he is up top on his own, against Vidic who is one of the best defenders in the league, and he was extremely isolated. I thought he did very well - i liked it when he was consoling Diaby when he scored the own goal, he really showed captain qualities in this match.

GaelForce22

Established Member
Great work Ricky, I was about to say how surprised I am that no-one picked up on Gallas' performance but you did. Not to mention how well Robin played despite being in a position that doesn't suit him.

Almunia 4

Sagna 8
Gallas 9
Vermaelen 8
Clichy 6 - Why did he think he could dribble past Valencia in our area? Would have been the stupidest piece of defending I've seen if Diaby didn't manage to outdo him later on.

Song 8
Denilson 7
Diaby 5

Eboue 3 - I actually thought we'd see a good performance from him after the Celtic game. Clearly I was wrong.
Van Persie 7
Arsahvin 8 - Needs to work on his fitness, it's clear how much better that would make him.

asajoseph

Established Member
Almunia - 1 - Awful performance. Totally brainless decision to gift Rooney a penalty.

Clichy - 5 - Good running, but as usual too many wasted crosses
Vermaelen - 7 - Tidy and aggressive, as per usual.
Gallas - 7 - a per Vermaelen
Sagna - 6 - Defensively solid, but like Clichy he can't cross for ****.

Eboue - 4 - Embarrasing dive, and adds very ****ing little - makes us neither less likely to concede, nor more likely to score. Waste of space, but I'm sure Arsène'a kept him happy.
Song - 7 - Very strong in defence, if a little sloppy with some of his passing.
Denilson - 4 - Like Eboue, makes us neither more likely to score nor less likely to concede. More controlled in his passing, but how many times did he get caught dithering in dangerous areas? Awful passing in the attacking phases as well. Continues to be a hindrance.
Diaby - 6 - Horrendous own goal. Awful header, and continues to be a player who's as likely to pull off a moment of jaw-dropping idiocy as he is of something really quite special. That said, the guy actually played quite well, but he appears to have his mental age printed on the back of his shirt.
Arshavin - 6 - Very, very wasteful in posession, and disappeared in the second half. But oh my, what a goal!

Van Persie - 6 - Finishing continues to let him down, but his movement and work for the team were good. A bit isolated at times though.

Wenger - 6 - bottled it a bit with his tactics, I think. We've played very well in our recent games, and picking the likes of Eboue over Eduardo or Bendtner and going with a more conservative midfield setup meant that we were hamstrung in attack at times. We did well in the midfield battles, on the whole, but whilst United will always play at a high tempo, I don't think we needed to be as conservative as we were. Substitutions didn't always make sense either.

kamikaze80

Established Member
almunia - 3

sagna - 8
gallas - 7
vermaelen - 8
clichy - 5 - almost had another b'ham moment, awful crosses, a defensive liability

denilson - 5 - a passenger, per usual, got caught on the ball in very dangerous areas on numerous occasions
song - 8
diaby - 4 - lazy in defence, he just doesnt get it - the ultimate luxury player - but looked very good in attack at times - wouldve been a 6 but for the own goal

eboue - 4 - pretty awful
van persie - 7
arshavin - 7 - needs better stamina, was a spectator too often, but his quality is undoubted

Arsenal Quotes

The match will be shown on Match of the Day later this evening and if you don't want to know the result look away now as we show you Tony Adams lifting the cup for Arsenal.

Steve Rider

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 18

Arsenal‘s interest in Ivan Toney has waned. It is unlikely he will join this summer and neither will Alexander Isak, with the club no longer interested at his £120m price [John Cross - The Mirror]

Benjamin Šeško will cost €65m this summer [Sky Sports Germany]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom