• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mario Gómez

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
The German is apparently a major target for the Gunners after yet another fine season with Die Roten, and although he's under contract at Stuttgart until 2012 he could yet be transferred for a tidy fee.

Gómez finished the past season with 19 league goals, making him the second-best 'Torjäger' in the Bundesliga behind Luca Toni. He did, however, play six games fewer than the 24-goal Italian.

The 22-year-old, though half-Spanish, has represented his birth country of Germany at various youth levels before breaking through to the full national team in 2007. Since then he's struck six times in a total of nine appearances for the Nationalelf.

At the age of 22 Mario is slightly older than some of Arsène Wenger's signings, but certainly still young enough to fit into the squad at large.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=709492" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=709492</a>

Dez

Re: Arsenal Linked With Mario Gomez

Daily Mail ran with the original story. Seems a weak link and a complete luxury signing but all the guys from the previous thread were pretty excited about him.

Anzac

Established Member

He's another young tall target man type isn't he???
If so I can't see the point in getting excited unless we needed a like for like replacement for Ade. Even then I can't see the point in signing another of that type when we can't even service the 2 we have with any decent ball off the deck.

Shadow Moses

Established Member

woah! He has 28 goals in 32 games for Stuttgart this season. Seems to be constantly improving as well.

05/06 - 8 in 38
06/07 - 16 in 30
07/08 -28 in 32

He's currently German player of the year.

Lancelot

Established Member

I find it quite interesting that we are still constantly linked with him, especially while we still have the likes of Adebayor, van Persie, Bendtner, Eduardo, Walcott around, and now the new addition of Vela who is labelled by the boss himself as a primary striker in the mould of Eduardo.

However when you look at the respective risk related to them, I think there is a good enough basis to believe that the transfer could actually happen:

- Adebayor; yes, he scored a lot this season, but how much trust are you willing to put on him to score the same amount under this 3-playmaker or 2-playmaker-and-1-out-of-position-player regime (taking into account the scenario of Hleb <-> Nasri) where none of them is particularly prolific in their past record, maybe with only Walcott who has the most chance to break the curse.

- van Persie; yes, the guy is capable to score loads of goals, but who could guarantee that in the event that he is not fit or when he is on an on-and-off mode due to several different injuries.

- Bendtner; yes, the young man is improving each time he plays, but are we brave enough to let him partner up with Adebayor for an extended period of time?

- Eduardo; yes, he is recovering ahead of schedule as we speak, but who are we to say that he will jump right into the team and start right at the point where he left off. Is the mental block Wenger spoke of that easy to overcome?

- Vela; no matter how promising he looks, he remains firmly an unknown quantity. It's mainly down to each and everyone's optimism when it comes to our different expectations on how much impact will he be making.

- Walcott; yes, he looks much more confident now and that he finished this season on a high, being ready to challenge for a starting spot and all that, but how sure are we that he is going to deliver consistently and against the top oppositions?

Even though a lot of questions can be asked like those aforementioned points, we still have other priorities to look at and I think a lot on here are having the same feeling, but what if Wenger actually is about to dive into the transfer market and seriously strengthening the squad with those potential risks in mind as well as if there is 'more' money than expected in his hands in addition to what we might get from the selling of Hleb in a rather generous amount? Or if both Vela and Walcott are to be strictly used as a wide player and now that we might be getting Nasri at the expense of Hleb, could Wenger be looking to sign a striker (who might again be used out wide as per the 'Eduardo's law') instead and thinking along the line of Rosicky, Nasri, Walcott, Vela, Eboue and maybe Traore are enough as it is?

Personally, my stance is still the same though and I don't think we are going to need one more as a bit of optimism in 'numbers + visible developments' won't do us much harm in this department and considering that we are in serious need of more players in other positions, especially out wide, central midfield and at the back including the GK. Yet, if Wenger, as predictable as we think, decides to think outside the box for once and really is pressured by a lack of success, would we rather not want this addition on top of those needs?

I know the answer already :arrow: I must be dreaming. :lol:

Daily Mirror originally ran the story through 'Mr Exclusive' Steve Stammers, who apparently has insider links to the club but his exclusives couldn't be more wrong if he tried...now it would appear it's been fed to the Daily Mail along with the stuff about Dabo and Matuidi.

Don't believe a word of it, even if Gomez is a very promising player and could do well at the Euros.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

I really like "Super Mario", a very well rounded striker who is young and is someone I can see fitting perfectly in our system, especially this 4-5-1 we seem so enthusiatic to use.

I personally would happily get rid of Bendtner and Van Persie to accomidate him. Lets face it, relying on Van Persie again would be a mistake and I doubt Wenger really has the minerals to start Bendtner/Walcott/Vela upfront when we need to.

Saying that though, its a really weak link and in truth- he is very much a luxery signing. I would rather see a Goal-keeper or a DM come in- positions I havent heard Wenger mention in a while..

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐

I think the DM has been sorted in Chartrom. I'd rather a CB than a GK as well as the Toure / Gallas pairing makes far too many mistakes for a Prem chasing team.

Its hard know what to do with Nik. He can be great, he could be an amazing player but not yet and no way of knowing when. Personally I'd probably sell the guy if was offered good money for him as I think Walcott is going to be a legend for us and we already have a tall powerful striker in Ade. Gomez is a class act but as you said too much of a luxury unless Ade decides pack his bags and leave. Walcott, Ade & Nik with Vela as backup is fine until Dudu gets back, esp as I think we'll play 4-5-1 alot next season with possiblyNasri in the hole

flobaba

All I know is that Ade needs some real competition.. And Bendtner doesn't look like he's ready to provide that anytime soon. If we could get Gomez i'd be over the moon.

dos1986

Established Member

Fellow is the real deal, he's one of the best strikers in europe already.I'd drive Van Persie to the airport myself to get this guy..

He's realistically priced and from what I have seen of him he would be a revelation in the premiership, he's big, fast, excellent finisher, good in the air, nice lad to boot..

He's going to have a huge Euro so wenger better move fast..

longrufus

Established Member

Not a chance in my opinion, we'll not sign another striker unless one leaves, and i cant see that happening. We have enough goals in our side, the problem is defensive stability, thats where we should be spending our money.

dos1986

Established Member

longrufus said:
. We have enough goals in our side.

Do we?

Yay Ade has stepped up this season and got ous the extra 15 goals we had over the season before, but I wouldnt back him to do it again.Bendtner could start 38 league games but wouldnt get over 12 goals, Van Persie is a waste of time ( he's gonna get injured again), Eduardo wasnt all that impressive pre injury ( rose tinted ) and Theo is still not tactically ready to play up top with another striker in this team..

I dont think we have enough goals in this team, at least not when it matters..

A bit of competiton would be nice too, Ade needs it and its not going to come from within..

dos1986

Established Member

gunnerama911 said:
Ade and Mario up top together would be a monster duo. Gruesome twosome.

Mouth-watering, its the kind of partnership Ferguson would have no problem putting together, but its too easy for Wenger..

He would prefer to give Bentder and the crippled Van Persie the chance

McIntyre

Established Member

I don't believe this will actually happen as I don't think Wenger will spend the money required to bring him to the club.

But I disagree that he would be a luxury signing. With Eduardo crocked until, at the very least, the new year, we only have two strikers - Adebayor and van Persie. I don't care what anybody says, neither Bendtner, Walcott or Vela are going to miraculously make the improvement needed to lead us to the Premiership/Champions League. This season, when van Persie and Eduardo were injured Walcott was not trusted to lead the line and Bendtner was not really effective enough, considering his youth and his relationship with Ade. Both players would have to make massive strides to provide effective cover for our two main strikers and I just can't see it happening.

In my opinion Bendtner may become great, but we cannot yet rely on him. Walcott will not make it as a Premiership striker anytime soon because if he can't even outmuscle the full backs he's facing he has no chance against decent centre backs. And Vela will be used more on the wing.

Therefore, we need another striker and Gomez would fit the bill perfectly. Come next summer we can sort out the embarassment of riches we'd have in the striker department, but in the meantime we'd have a strikeforce worthy of actually winning something next season.

j'nuh

dos1986 said:
gunnerama911 said:

Mouth-watering, its the kind of partnership Ferguson would have no problem putting together, but its too easy for Wenger..

I really hope you're going to stick around this season when all your completely unfounded, bullsh*t predictions unravel like they did last season.

p.s Bodmer had a good season, didnt he? :D

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐

dos1986 said:
longrufus said:

Do we?

Yay Ade has stepped up this season and got ous the extra 15 goals we had over the season before, but I wouldnt back him to do it again.Bendtner could start 38 league games but wouldnt get over 12 goals, Van Persie is a waste of time ( he's gonna get injured again), Eduardo wasnt all that impressive pre injury ( rose tinted ) and Theo is still not tactically ready to play up top with another striker in this team..

A bit of competiton would be nice too, Ade needs it and its not going to come from within..

Man you must be only person Arsenal fan or outside to think that. No offense but thats just ****. When played up fron the guy looks lethal - and turns provider. What more do you want when just getting into the team? Three consecutive hat tricks?

We had what, 70 goals thiss eason in Prem? Its not attacking where we fail - its letting in bullshit goals at the back

longrufus

Established Member

dos1986 said:
longrufus said:

Do we?

I think we do to be honest, Adebayor and VanPersie are both 20goal a season players, Eduardo can easily hit 15 goals, and to say he wasnt that impressive pre injury is nonsense. Walcott for me is going to make a big step up this season, then we have Bendtner, Cesc, Rosicky, Nasri (if reports are to be believed) who could all chip in between 5-10. Not to mention the odd goal from the backline.

Its irrelevant though, look at the this season, you can score goals but if you concede soft goals you'll never win anything. For me we are in a position where it is a lot easier to strengthen the defence with 1 signing than it is to improve our attack with 1 signing. To argue we lost the league through not scoring is wrong, we lost the league because we couldnt defend when it mattered most. £15m on another striker is money wasted, whereas £15m to sure up the defence is exactly what we need.

dos1986

Established Member

j'nuh said:
dos1986 said:
gunnerama911 said:

I really hope you're going to stick around this season when all your completely unfounded, bullsh*t predictions unravel like they did last season.

p.s Bodmer had a good season, didnt he? :D

I said we wouldnt do anyting, we didnt.

I also said Fabregas was over rated and he still is..

I got Sagna and Theo wrong, Bodmer has had a very decent season at Lyon ( only cost £3mill )

dos1986

Established Member

Eduardo's finishing was beautiful after November, but his general game?

I wasnt that impressed with him, but maybe thats me..

Arsenal Quotes

If you don't believe you can do it then you have no chance at all.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 21

Nuno Tavares will return to Arsenal after Nottingham Forest chose not to exercise the buy option in his loan deal [Nottingham Forest Official Site]

Benjamin Šeško’s agent confirms interest from English and Italian clubs, adding that he is not interested in moving to Saudi Arabia [Evening Standard]

Arsenal have sent scouts to watch Benfica midfielder Joao Neves multiple times [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal have joined Manchester United in the race to sign Rennes’ 18 year old attacking midfielder Desire Doue [Ouest-France]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom