• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
He was brought in from the cold and ultimately he's proven that it was right to leave him out. Hasn't got any excuses left in the box. Utter sh1te... Still making a living off that one good season he had with us.

Well and truly over Özil. Absolute myth of a player.
People still make excuses for him, if a player needs the perfect conditions to perform is he really that good of a player ?

One thing I’m certain of is that Santi would still be putting in performances for us right now even given this crap. His Arsenal career was 50x better than this fraud, if Özil had arrived as a £18m signing without a big name he would have been considered a disappointment but people feel obliged to kiss his ass at whatever opportunity because of the levels he reached BEFORE joining us.

He’s certainly not the reason for our issues right now, but ****ing hell I can’t wait for him to leave to stop this debate between arsenal fans. It’s tiring trying to convince people someone isn’t playing for the badge but playing for their brand/bank account

Jae

People still make excuses for him, if a player needs the perfect conditions to perform is he really that good of a player ?

One thing I’m certain of is that Santi would still be putting in performances for us right now even given this crap. His Arsenal career was 50x better than this fraud, if Özil had arrived as a £18m signing without a big name he would have been considered a disappointment but people feel obliged to kiss his ass at whatever opportunity because of the levels he reached BEFORE joining us.

He’s certainly not the reason for our issues right now, but ****ing hell I can’t wait for him to leave to stop this debate between arsenal fans. It’s tiring trying to convince people someone isn’t playing for the badge but playing for their brand/bank account

Amen to that mate. Just another in a long line of mediocre players that we've filled the club with. Will be glad when he's gone.

Beast Incarnate

Özil has been with us about 6-7 years now hasn't he?

I can seriously only remember one season where you could have realistically called him world class. The rest of the time he has been very inconsistent and we've had a plethora of excuses for why that is: Giroud up front/ lack of pace on the wings/stars not aligned etc.

Our fans have turned on players for a lot less, but Özil gets a golden ticket

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

This creator bollocks does my nut. Did you see how much easier it is for a well balanced, well organised team to create chances?

Creativity is a byproduct of crisp, accurate passing, movement and speed. It’s not an individual who stands still and plays through balls 10% of the match.

We’re sacrificing midfield balance to accommodate this nonsense and getting what we deserve as a result.
The team we played against usually lineup with KDB-Silva and a DM.

it’s easy to blame Özil as the reason why our midfield is a sieve but that’s not the real reason. He had two conservative midfielders behind him, the same system City played actually.

I’m not saying Özil is perfect but we aren’t sacrificing midfield balance for him, we just have a poor midfield – whether that’s tactically or personnel wise is up to you to decide.

Last edited:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

it’s easy to blame Özil as the reason why our midfield is a sieve but that’s not the real reason. He had two conservative midfielders behind him, the same system City played actually.

I’m not saying Özil is perfect but we aren’t sacrificing midfield balance for him, we just don’t have a good midfield whether that’s tactically or personnel wise is up to you to decide.

Özil doesn’t have the all round game to play as an attacking CM though, KDB and Silva are similar to Santi in that they can control games, Mesut is like always looking for that one hit knockout...which is great, but it’s hard to field a stable midfield that includes him in any shape, especially now.

He looks to have nothing left now, shame...was great on his day.

Last edited:

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Emery tried to get rid. You can't get rid of a player like that sitting on 350k. He doesn't want to go.

I do think his power was in our poor performances and no player being able to convincingly supplant him.

If a manager comes in and brings someone or a system that makes Özil pointless then yeah he can sit around on his contract but if he actually sees no realistic future he might reconsider

Him and his team saw Emery a mile off and knew they'd outlast him

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

I’m not saying Özil is perfect but we aren’t sacrificing midfield balance for him, we just don’t have a good midfield whether that’s tactically or personnel wise is up to you to decide.

Someone else beat me to it but KDB and Silva do so much more work without the ball than Özil, so it allows them to get away with that.

He’s completely passive unless we’re winning duels in other areas of the pitch to create counter attacks for him.

You’re right that we don’t have the players to do that but he’s by some distance the most experienced midfielder we have and yet we’re asking for him to be carried.

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
I was always an Özil fan. Still think his talent is there and he could turn it on. However, I am sick of seeing players angry, passionate reactions off the pitch, on social media, and in interviews, when it doesn't exist on the pitch.

Really sad to say it when I look back on my excitement on the day he signed, but I'm absolutely ready for him to depart. He can do better, he just isn't. I'm stopping well short of saying he is the main problem. He's not. We've seen most of our players look like **** recently. But we need fight now. He is not showing that on the pitch and hasn't for a while.

Problem is we don't have adequate players of the level to replace him, but **** it. Give ESR some games. I don't even care to attend the games anymore as things stand.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
On pitch: Özil is the icing on the cake. After we equalised at West Ham we saw all the classy stuff we know and expect from him. After 1-1 we had our cake.

The problem an increasing number of people have is that he is paid the going rate of a 3 Star Michelin chef. He should be baking the whole cake from ground up using locally sourced ingredients.

Off pitch: Ozils close association with Erdogan is a hand grenade waiting to go off at any time and Arsenal FC is well within the potential blast radius. Anyone denying this is being a little bit naive I think. Once again the club has been warned of “severe consequences” in the Chinese press this morning - even after they tried their best to quickly distance themselves from Ozils social media postings. The Athletic reported today that the Premier League has offered Arsenal “support and advice” in the wake of the incident.

Last edited:

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

He looks to have nothing left now, shame...was great on his day.
It is a shame. Maybe we could have done better with him when he was actually one of the world's best.

I now view him as that guy who is okay for the level we're at now but will only truly shine a few times per season. Hopefully there's still life in him but my preferred manager (Poch) doesn't even use players like Özil anyway.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

He’s completely passive unless we’re winning duels in other areas of the pitch to create counter attacks for him.
Agree, it's very frustrating.

But like I said, if Pep can get away with two attacking midfielders (who admittedly aren't complete defensive liabilities) surely a good manager can get away with a midfield of Özil and two more defensive guys. Either way we probably shouldn't be thinking of Özil while recruiting players.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
It is a shame. Maybe we could have done better with him when he was actually one of the world's best.
If Lacazette or Aubameyang had been signed a few years earlier, Özil's legacy would be very different. That would very likely have resulted in winning the PL in 13/14 and 15/16. Especially the latter where the club wasted one of the greatest creative seasons you can imagine on a CF who went from December 21 to May 8 without scoring a league goal.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
If Lacazette or Aubameyang had been signed a few years earlier, Özil's legacy would be very different. That would very likely have resulted in winning the PL in 13/14 and 15/16. Especially the latter where the club wasted one of the greatest creative seasons you can imagine on a CF who went from December 21 to May 8 without scoring a league goal.

Arsenal fans love their ifs and maybes. Lacazette and Aubameyang would have done nothing to stop us from collapsing. They're no better than Giroud and Alexis. Maybe if Özil could score goals himself then we wouldn't have to rely on one striker so much.

We didn't win the league in those seasons but we always collapsed when it was important, we couldn't beat big teams and our defence was never good enough/Arsène wasn't a good defensive coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal are the most beautiful club in England. At Man City and Chelsea, they will never have that class and style.

Marco van Basten

Latest posts

Top Bottom