• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manberg

Predator
As you would of all players. Don’t know why you have to highlight this with Özil.

Because recently he hasn't been. Making political statements, kicking his gloves, being "sick" a lot of the time, playling like he doesn't care etc. All unprofessional.
Yesterday he was great, so I'm saying he needs to do this every game.

darkgunner

Arteta knows how to play the game, has been singing Özil's praises in the media but probably told him privately that he will be sold in the summer.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Arteta knows how to play the game, has been singing Özil's praises in the media but probably told him privately that he will be sold in the summer.
I don't think he'll be sold in the summer, I reckon we'll keep him for another 2 years for his current contract (1yr) if it is. On;y 1 game but if he plays for Arteta like he did yesterday I'd say we'll keep him. He's our only proper #10 apart from Ceballos who's only on loan atm & ESR only quite young.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Because recently he hasn't been. Making political statements, kicking his gloves, being "sick" a lot of the time, playling like he doesn't care etc. All unprofessional.
Yesterday he was great, so I'm saying he needs to do this every game.
When was he sick last? Kicking the gloves showed he cares if anything.

In terms of social media it’s guys like Auba and Laca who are questionable with their affiliations and support of certain characters who have insulted their teammates and manager.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
As you would of all players. Don’t know why you have to highlight this with Özil.

He was doing extra training under Emery, Arteta just described his attitude and efforts as incredible since he’s been there, Freddie picked him for every game. Being a good pro doesn’t seem to be an issue.
Not anymore it doesn’t, but it all points to him being pissed off and half-arsed under Emery according to trusted sources.

Anyway, new chapter for the club and we saw Mesut busting a gut and generally looking to make an impression whenever he could... Problem is, where was all this when he got opportunities early in the season? Had he applied himself like he did yesterday, we probably wouldn’t be as far off the pace. Should we feel short-changed? Did he have the right to sulk on his wages and not give us the very least a player can give whether he’s Sunday league or world class... Whether he’s past his best or not, the least he can do is leave it all out there on the pitch for Arsenal, but he clearly wasn’t. Let’s just ignore that though, right?

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
Feel Arteta won't let him get comfortable he'll be demanded on him
It’s obvious what he’s trying to do. The scenario we have now gives Özil no way out if he wants to be here for the rest of the season, and that works for us.

He knows Arteta is the golden boy at the moment and a guy the club and fans have put 100% faith in to get us out of the mess. Özil is back to being just another player again, and the minimum under Arteta is 100%. He’s been told to get the **** off the stage because this isn’t about you anymore.

It’s a great situation for the club and fans, because now we’ll see if he really was past it or if he was, to put it bluntly, just stealing a living.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
I loved how knackered he looked after being subbed, he hasn't worked that hard in a long time.

I wonder if this is the best way with Özil: let him know before the game that he will be taken off at the 60 minute mark regardless of what happens. Then he knows he doesn't have to save himself for the whole 90, he can just go for it
Good shout actually. Not sure how any self respecting pro takes that though... He’s obviously still has an ego, so being hooked after 60 mins every game is a bit humiliating unless you’ve had a great hour and leave the pitch to applause.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
Good shout actually. Not sure how any self respecting pro takes that though... He’s obviously still has an ego, so being hooked after 60 mins every game is a bit humiliating unless you’ve had a great hour and leave the pitch to applause.
it would seem he is just not as robust as other players, and working on his stamina and fitness, which it seems he has done, can only do so much

if he can come to terms with that then 60 minutes of all out effort is the way forward, especially if by the time the 6o minutes is up we are winning and can sub him for a defender

GDeep™

League is very weak
He was subbed off after 75 minutes btw. Not seen any pro regularly taken off after 60 minutes and obviously won’t happen with Özil.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
it would seem he is just not as robust as other players, and working on his stamina and fitness, which it seems he has done, can only do so much

if he can come to terms with that then 60 minutes of all out effort is the way forward, especially if by the time the 6o minutes is up we are winning and can sub him for a defender
It's a delicate balance with Özil, it seems. Not sure how bad his back problem is/was or how much vigorous training it can take, but it seems it wasn't as chronic as was being made out to us. Another mystery there...

As you say, it could be all about Özil coming to terms with being taken off after 60-70 mins, which I'd doubt he would. I wouldn't blame him either tbh. Saying that, Mourinho did the same at Real Madrid with him, and as much as he may not have liked it, it worked for everyone a lot of the time.

All said, I don't really think there was anything in it yesterday with regards to a long term plan with Özil. I think Arteta may have thought he dipped or wanted a tactical change. We'll see if he takes the Mourinho approach in the coming weeks/months.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

I wonder what Emery had in his powerpoint dossier regarding Özil because it was clear as day he never had any plans for Özil in his system. At that point, its mind boggling why you would appoint a coach with a system that would discourage your highest earner who's impossible to shift.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

:lol:

Remember in the old Pro Evo games, when they didn’t have the rights to Dutch team, and just called them “Orange 10” or something...wonder if they did that to him!

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
This is what I've been saying along with a few others on here. If you can get the ball between the lines you want Özil to receive it because of what he can do. He did that yesterday so well, hope he can keep it up. Every touch is quality, along with crisp passing.

Imagine Lacazette receiving the ball between midfield and defence and trying to turn, would be like watching an oil tanker leave the harbour of Rotterdam.

Sydney-Gooner

:lol:

Remember in the old Pro Evo games, when they didn’t have the rights to Dutch team, and just called them “Orange 10” or something...wonder if they did that to him!

Adidas are bringing out some limited edition gear to celebrate Chinese New Year and guess who’s modelling the Arsenal stuff?

DA6FAE1453134C908CE6.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

If you love football, you love Tomáš Rosický

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom