• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolin

Doesn't appreciate the mighty Nacho
People point to his assists, but they never mention all the chances he wastes by looking for an extra pass instead of taking a shot on himself. Fans always blamed Giroud for Özil’s performances, apparently Özil needed “runners” and “pace up front”.

We now have these “runners” and the results are staggering - 4 assists in his last 42 league games.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Already posted, but so much ignorance in this forum, I'm reposting.

Article I wrote about Özil & Germany in the wake of the world cup: http://dailycannon.com/2018/07/mesut-Özil-2/

Some of it is quite shocking. He totally was the scapegoat, and a lot of it was clearly racially motivated, though he didn't always help himself.

Sadly it appears this part of my conclusion came to pass:
"The fear is that he could continue to find the situation distracting or that it impacts on his longer-term career motivation"

Since then, there's been a lot more phoning it in.

Whoever said he was they same player 5 years ago is talking rubbish, as 5 years ago he was the best creator in the division, with the 2nd best EPL assists total ever, and it was only the complete failure of the forward players to convert the chances he was creating in the second half of the season that stopped him smashing the record. Same bullshit with Germany, where all the Bayern old boys and racist pricks were slagging him off saying he'd been pony for years, despite being one their best players in the 2 years before 2018, and despite producing at an Elite level 2015-2017.

I can't help wondering if there is another story here, because Wenger, Low, Arteta and even Emery have been reluctant to slag him off even when he's missing 15 games or more a season.

Yes there's the back injury that's been affecting him since 17/18, but I wonder if there is another issue that has kept rendering him simultaneously unavailable but protected by his coaches.

Of course, now, its best for all concerned if he finds his way to Fenerbace in the summer, even if we have to pay off 1/2 his remaining contract

Özil is totally the same player 5 years ago, and that is the problem. If you remain the same for 5 years you will almost certainly become obsolete and get overtaken by others in football who are always improving. Özil has become Nani or Mata, a super talented player who is content to coast on his talents and doesn't have the hunger to evolve into a more dangerous beast.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
People forget that Özil's decline started in Wenger's time here.
What about when he was regularly dropped by Wenger due to "illness?"

Why did the illness magically stop when a new manager came in?

Look at the litany of excuses. It's hilarious FFS:lol:

Have a look at this one:

[Auba cant hold up and link play.
Laca doesnt have speed.
Xhaka doesnt have quick feet
Pepe is still raw and drifts in and out of games.
Mustafi has brain farts.
Santi was too small
Toreira is too small
Giroud had no speed
Arteta didnt have physicality
Mert couldnt run
Sokratis cant pass

I've never seen a player so intolerant to criticism. That has been a major problem in his career. An ability to take criticism of performance and improve.

Last edited:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
People forget that Özil's decline started in Wenger's time here.
What about when he was regularly dropped by Wenger due to "illness?"

Why did the illness magically stop when a new manager came in?

Look at the litany of excuses. It's hilarious FFS:lol:

Have a look at this one:

I've never seen a player so intolerant to criticism. That has been a major problem in his career. An ability to take criticism of performance and improve.
Don’t bother mate, it’s pure troll. He defends every **** player that’s ever come under fire solely so he can argue.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Already posted, but so much ignorance in this forum, I'm reposting.

Article I wrote about Özil & Germany in the wake of the world cup: http://dailycannon.com/2018/07/mesut-Özil-2/

Some of it is quite shocking. He totally was the scapegoat, and a lot of it was clearly racially motivated, though he didn't always help himself.

Sadly it appears this part of my conclusion came to pass:
"The fear is that he could continue to find the situation distracting or that it impacts on his longer-term career motivation"

Since then, there's been a lot more phoning it in.

Whoever said he was they same player 5 years ago is talking rubbish, as 5 years ago he was the best creator in the division, with the 2nd best EPL assists total ever, and it was only the complete failure of the forward players to convert the chances he was creating in the second half of the season that stopped him smashing the record. Same bullshit with Germany, where all the Bayern old boys and racist pricks were slagging him off saying he'd been pony for years, despite being one their best players in the 2 years before 2018, and despite producing at an Elite level 2015-2017.

I can't help wondering if there is another story here, because Wenger, Low, Arteta and even Emery have been reluctant to slag him off even when he's missing 15 games or more a season.

Yes there's the back injury that's been affecting him since 17/18, but I wonder if there is another issue that has kept rendering him simultaneously unavailable but protected by his coaches.

Of course, now, its best for all concerned if he finds his way to Fenerbace in the summer, even if we have to pay off 1/2 his remaining contract
‘He hasn’t been **** but I wonder if there’s some cloak and dagger story explaining why he’s been ****’.
I’ll put it to you that you’re the one who is ignorant – blissfully.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
This one made me laugh out loud. Gotta love man like @Jury :lol:

He’s like the uncle that you miss because you remember him being funny at family gatherings but then he comes to visit for a few days and you realise that he’s annoying and you could probably take him in a fight, so you almost choke him out because he tried to talk to you like you was some little kid and your mum has to break it up.

You eventually kind of mend the relationship, even have the odd laugh here and there but the tension will always be there because he knows you made a fool out of him.
This thread is pulling some really weird analogies out of you now. You know when that happens it’s time to turn it in? :lol:

Wryer

Can totally see him going into retirement after his contract ends. He's gonna see it out and why shouldn't he. He's totally done with football - not from the talent perspective but his appetite is gone.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

People in here trying to rewrite the past as if he wasn't excellent for us for five seasons though, shameful stuff.
This is it really.

There aren't many of us agenda-less posters on this forum. We call a spade a spade, have no problem admitting if we were wrong and will even admit if one of our favourites is past it. If only everyone was like us.:eek:ops:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

This thread is pulling some really weird analogies out of you now. You know when that happens it’s time to turn it in? :lol:
I ain't about the long talking just send me your location.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
This is it really.

There aren't many of us agenda-less posters on this forum. We call a spade a spade, have no problem admitting if we were wrong and will even admit if one of our favourites is past it. If only everyone was like us.:eek:ops:

This forum should just be called Agendamania tbh.

MikeVinna

Established Member
Could it be he’s got some chronical physical problems? Surely if he simply wasn’t motivated or didnt do what was required in training his previous 3 coaches would have said so? Maybe he’s actually got a crooked back..

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Özil is totally the same player 5 years ago, and that is the problem. If you remain the same for 5 years you will almost certainly become obsolete and get overtaken by others in football who are always improving. Özil has become Nani or Mata, a super talented player who is content to coast on his talents and doesn't have the hunger to evolve into a more dangerous beast.

He's really not the same player. Not covering the same amount of ground, less high intensity sprints, less shots, less key passes, he breaks beyond the front players FAR FAR less regularly, gets into the box less than 1/4 as much, has a lower average sprinting speed, and is much more peripheral in general.

Even ignoring the data, which is clear as day, if you watch videos of him 2015-2017 and compare to now, he's a completely different player.

He's declined physically, lost the players he had the best interplay with, plays with less confidence and assurance, takes less risks, provokes less final 3 action and demands the ball less.

Night and Day

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
People point to his assists, but they never mention all the chances he wastes by looking for an extra pass instead of taking a shot on himself. Fans always blamed Giroud for Özil’s performances, apparently Özil needed “runners” and “pace up front”.

We now have these “runners” and the results are staggering - 4 assists in his last 42 league games.

Spot on, this is one of the biggest problems in his game that is barley ever talked about. The fact he never shoots, even when it is advantageous to do so, makes him easier to defend against.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
‘He hasn’t been **** but I wonder if there’s some cloak and dagger story explaining why he’s been ****’.
I’ll put it to you that you’re the one who is ignorant – blissfully.

I'm not sure your conclusion there actually reflects my words.

A more accurate summation would be "he wasn't **** in 2015-2017, rather the opposite, but he has been **** for the last 2 1/2 years. However the fact that he seems to take games off all the time without successive managers publicly calling him out makes me wonder if there is another issue, because no one else gets away with that"

If you are going to disagree with me, at least do so honestly ;-)

musoke

I didn't say all Germans are racist, far from it. The people abusing Özil were a minority but they were a vocal one, which is why they get so much attention.

BTW Gundogan had to make a statement because he called Erdogan "my president".

If anything is a red herring, it's the Erdogan stuff. He was getting abuse on the basis of his ethnicity and religion long before that, in fact the "ID card German" jibe is something I remember from the 2010 WC. He was at the time the face of the second-generation immigrants like Khedira, Boateng etc.

And again, it's not about the whole of Germany or the DFB being racist. It's about both the outright prejudice and the unconscious bias Özil has faced in his time playing for Germany. Nobody can honestly say that he gets the benefit of the doubt in the same way as Kroos, Neuer etc.

I don't know if he agrees politically with Erdogan, I wouldn't assume that a picture with someone means you endorse everything they stand for. The best man stuff for me is irrelevant to this discussion because it happened after the fallout post WC.
Sorry I am not buying it.
We all know what happened during that Özil, Erdogan, Gundogan, 2018 world cup episode.
Özil like always has this massive ego where he thinks he is this emperor that is never wrong.
I refuse to by this Özil VICTIM CARD that you his avid fans / followers use every time he does something wrong. When was the last time Özil apologised for any of his missteps since he has been here?
He keeps undermining everyone, Fans, managers, board, entire countries etc while you guys just try your level best to clean up after him all the time.

I said that what the minority of Racist Far Right wingers (Nutters) in Germany did to Özil was distasteful and racist.

What I don’t like is the sneakiness that you guys have then used to muddy the waters by labelling nearly all the German population as racists, labelled the German FA as racists, labelled the white German players as secret racist nazis etc is a bit slimy. Literally some Özil fans back then were labelling the white German players as racists because they refused to bow down to princess Özil’s ego of always being victim. Özil always starts these divisive episodes, he consciously steps into sh!t and always expects all us to just bend over and praise him no matter what.

When we lost 6-3 to city in his first season here. He was so poor but refused to applaud our travelling/ paying fans even if everyone else did. Mertesacker told him off but he never rectified that situation. O apology.

We were being spanked by Bayern 5-1 and Özil was one of the poorest in tha game. He gest subbed and just walks off slowly with absolutely no care. Never went to his social media to apologise.

We are being spanked by Chelsea in Baku, Özil was one of the poorest. He is subbed and just strolls off with no urgency. Did not acknowledge or give a fck about the score. Never went to his social media to apologise.

He consciously took those pictures with Erdogan knowing that it will hurt the German peoples emotions. But he did not give a crap. He just doubled down on it. Went on his social media to play VICTIM as always. Then went as far as making Erdogan his best man at hos wedding. But expect the German people, the country that welcomed him and his family to just swallow it. In such a situation how are the natives supposed to feel? Happiness or betrayal?
Even in my country, we are poor but have been welcoming neighbouring refugees from Sudan, Congo, Rwanda, Somalia etc for decades. But I would feel betrayed if their kids that have been born and brought up in my country started putting on this affectionate display with dictatorial president of their country of origin. It would hurt. Same with what Özil did to the German people by publicly licking Erdogans face at any given opportunity. Doesn’t care.

He absolutely undermined Emery. Using his social media to pump up his sensitive / emotional followers. Rumours came out that Özil told Emery to his face that he was a “**** manager”. Lol
Playing victim instead of trying to help our team and club. Never apologised.

Undermines Ljungberg. He couldn’t care less. With him it’s all about “Me me me”.

Started this Chinese muslim awareness thing. Which was not a bad thing. But he did not give a monkeys how it might affect Arsenal. He just steps into it and then like always expects everyone else to deal with the consequences. But then on the other hand he is very quiet on the Erdogan / Kurdish issue. Why? Because he likes Erdogan and is okay with turning a blind eye on those Kurdish muslims because it might hurt his best friend’s politics.

And didn’t people also start labelling the British people and Media as racists, xenophobes, islamophobes in 2014/15 when Özil was being criticised for underperforming and always being ill during the Christmas period?

During this Covid-19 lockdown the team accepts to take a temporary pay cut. Who again is standing out as a sore thumb? Özil. Refused the whole thing and as always runs to his social media to do his propaganda and play his usual VICTIM CARD.
And guess what? You his fans put on your suits and start trying to rationalise and defend his actions. It’s always that way with him. His Ego is so massive and you guy are the reason why. You just massage it and keep assuring him how his farts don’t stink. Lol

I have observed so much in his times here.

Anyone that criticises Özil is either labelled a Hater, lacks footballing knowledge, racist blah blah...

So to me these labels you Özil fans throw around against anyone that criticises Özil have become meaningless catchphrases or just defensive mechanisms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

The only moment of possible happiness is the present. The past gives regrets. And future uncertainties. Man quickly realised this and created religion. It forgives him what he has done wrong in the past and tells him not to worry about the future, as you will go to paradise.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom