• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get These Hands

Off of my purse !
Was a top player for four years or so then he declined as the squad around him went off a cliff and we hired two bum managers.

Club handled the last couple of years appallingly. We shouldn’t have renewed him in hindsight but the wage cut debacle was a low point for the club.

All the club's fault.

Seriously, I don't know why Özil constantly gets excuses made for him.

Get These Hands

Off of my purse !
A list of some of the excuses Özil has had in the last few years:

. Needs a better striker with pace in front of him.

. Needs better wingers to play with.

. Played out of position

. Manager/s don't know how to use him

. Bad coaching

. Depressed after issues with the national team.

. Not loved enough by fans

. Not loved enough by manager/s.

. Because of politics

These are just some off the top of my head. There's been many more.

Highbury_2006

Village Idiot
Emery was a joke but his conflict with Özil (they obviously hated eachother) wasnt only his fault and he isnt the only Arsenal coach who had issues with Erdogans little toyboy. Im glad that Emery is gone and i will be glad when Özil is gone.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Emery was a joke but his conflict with Özil (they obviously hated eachother) wasnt only his fault and he isnt the only Arsenal coach who had issues with Erdogans little toyboy. Im glad that Emery is gone and i will be glad when Özil is gone.
I agree with this. Everyone picked a side in that but my conclusion by the end of it was they both didn’t cover themselves in glory tbh. And I don’t think a manager would be so stupid to risk losing one of his most talented players as well as maybe the dressing room if he didn’t have a productive reason to based on what he was seeing.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Özil leaving will certainly result in a better harmony in the squad. Some of that lack of harmony was the club’s fault but some of it has also been Özil’s. The club shouldn’t have acted the way it did at times (like randomly just leaving him out of the squad all of a sudden) but Özil decided to stay put for his last 18months and just sarcastically tweet about games, obviously in a PR attempt to keep his brand relevant. I don’t think that’s good for the harmony and general vibe around the squad.

But yeh of course he can’t do any wrong, he couldn’t adapt to his manager when Emery came in despite being a senior and experienced player (great lesson to set to the young players mate), he couldn’t resist publicly feuding with emery (“you make me laugh” tweet) rather than getting his head down, he couldn’t perhaps force a move two summers ago where he was still considered world class after emery questioned and ousted him (we would have paid some of his wages if we had to) and he couldn’t keep his mouth shut sarcastically tweeting about the club in petty fashion for the last few months.

These are all things which are apparently justified because of the evil club. I’m never gonna agree with people who say Özil hasn’t put a foot wrong, I just don’t get how you can think that way personally. But everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
A list of some of the excuses Özil has had in the last few years:

. Needs a better striker with pace in front of him.

. Needs better wingers to play with.

. Played out of position

. Manager/s don't know how to use him

. Bad coaching

. Depressed after issues with the national team.

. Not loved enough by fans

. Not loved enough by manager/s.

. Because of politics

These are just some off the top of my head. There's been many more.
I wanted ESR to replace him when he was about 17/18, that's how bad Özil was, with a couple of good games each season to make a nice youtube compilation.

This list is actually interesting because I'm making similar excuses for Pepe but at the same time I don't accept them in Özil's case. Maybe I should rethink my opinion on Pepe

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
"He's a cancer"
"Im glad that the greedy cvnt and his boring fanboys soon will be a finished chapter."
"Mod Edit"
"Mod Edit"

Same sort of stuff I used to read about Arsène. Does modern social media encourage all this hatred I wonder, or is it already inside people just waiting for an excuse to come out?

roz

Fake News Merchant
Oh ok, I’ll throw in one more for good measure.

18/19 Season
  • 24 Starts
  • 5 Goals
  • 2 Assists
Wow. What a club legend.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Özil is so much more than goals and assists :lol:

Became less effective though in last couple of seasons but was more in and out of the team. Up first 4 or so seasons he had the same effect on our team everyone is lauding ESR for currently

He was the oil in the Arsenal machine

roz

Fake News Merchant
Özil is so much more than goals and assists :lol:

Became less effective though in last couple of seasons but was more in and out of the team. Up first 4 or so seasons he had the same effect on our team everyone is lauding ESR for currently

He was the oil in the Arsenal machine
Yeah he was a decent player 4/5 years ago, some nice moments and all that.
Fact is he retired on that contract, then Proceeded to churn out his pathetic tweets in sly digs at the club. As @Red London said, neither sides covered themselves in glory but Mesut should never be remembered as a legend imo.

senna

Lost all his goodwill from me based on the last couple of seasons. Basically an embodiment of all that was wrong in the last decade at the club - overpaid, no interest or desire, more interested in good PR, influence on young players and squad harmony atrocious.

He was good fist 2 or 3 seasons, but nothing exceptional for us to rave about. We've had much better midfielders who have impacted the club way more and done much more for the club when they had less around them as well.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
This is just Wenger all over again. Listen, f*ckwits, it's high time for him to leave, he's way past his best, but he was very good for us and brought a lot of joy and happy moments, and that should be appreciated. The end doesn't have to negate what came before it.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I think most people who have been critical of Özil will watch over his highlight videos with appreciation (I even have been doing it while he's actually here). There is no doubt he has had some quality moments and won some trophies with us.

However right now there is some anomosity towards him and tbh there is no smoke without fire (usually). He shouldn't be immune from critcism from people who (often) pay to watch the club, he's not some sort of god, not sure why he's being compared to Wenger like he's an icon of the club or something.

There is free speech you know, people should be allowed to voice their opinion and if there is an overwhelming amount from a certain perspective then you need to let it happen unless its abuse or insults. A lot of posters here happily criticise (and sometimes insult) other players at the club like Xhaka, Mustafi, Lacazette, Ceballos, Nketiah, Bellerin etc but when its one of their faves they start crying about it. Double standards if you ask me.

Having said all that, I definitely think there should perhaps be an Özil appreciation thread, where people can share clips and videos of Özil and his best moments here. As long as other people still have a place to share their views that would be a good idea.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I loved watching Özil at his peak, Rolls Royce of a footballer. Shame he didn't move last Summer as this saga has really tainted his story here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal was firmly embedded in the local community and had a very solid, working-class foundations. The fans espoused the club's values. This visceral attachment, from childhood, to a club and a team is something I have never seen anywhere else with such fervour. Every fan's first match at Highbury was like a baptism.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 21

Nuno Tavares will return to Arsenal after Nottingham Forest chose not to exercise the buy option in his loan deal [Nottingham Forest Official Site]

Benjamin Šeško’s agent confirms interest from English and Italian clubs, adding that he is not interested in moving to Saudi Arabia [Evening Standard]

Arsenal have sent scouts to watch Benfica midfielder Joao Neves multiple times [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal have joined Manchester United in the race to sign Rennes’ 18 year old attacking midfielder Desire Doue [Ouest-France]

Latest posts

Top Bottom