• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Only once can I recall him dropping deep for a spell vs Sunderland, and that lasted about 2-3 mins.
And yet the general consensus among many has been that he's struggled to influence games and get assists this season because he's dropping too deep! Oh but he's still been great... despite offering up reasons why he hasn't... Interesting. :lol:

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

He's playing very far forward, further forward than even Alexis. It's almost like he's the striker :lol:. He's popping up in spots ahead of Alexis before he makes the run. He's having a larger shot volume, he's getting on the ball around the box more. Only once can I recall him dropping deep for a spell vs Sunderland, and that lasted about 2-3 mins.

Wenger is using Özil, Theo and Iwobi specifically to get the best of Alexis - they're attacking the space ahead willingly and almost sacrificially without the ball whenever Alexis has it. Ox seems to be doing the same from what I saw vs Sunderland - he's not quite there yet but there was a certain smart actions I saw Ox take and one of them were some of his off the ball runs. I'd like to see them ramp up the overloading of the box when the cutback or through ball is on.

Yup totally agree , and he's getting plenty of gilt edged opportunities . Which is good , got to start putting more away .

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
And yet the general consensus among many has been that he's struggled to influence games and get assists this season because he's dropping too deep! Oh but he's still been great... despite offering up reasons why he hasn't... Interesting. :lol:
He hasn't been as good as he can be, that much is true - although he has had a few impressive spells so far this season, his goalscoring exploits included. Alexis and Cazorla have been the jewels so far, and Iwobi initially started to exert a great deal of influence. I surmise that part of it may be the fact that he is playing further forward but then, he hasn't had many assists either. He's no longer the chief chance creator, it's being spread throughout the team.

I do expect his performance level to pick up though as he adjusts to his "false 10 role" :lol:

Yup totally agree , and he's getting plenty of gilt edged opportunities . Which is good , got to start putting more away .
He has to IMO. He will need to come through more often in front of goal.

RUS arsenal

Established Member
Has it in him to be Messi/Ronaldo level for a season or two as he hits his prime (which should be anytime now supposedly). Would be nice if that happened starting the 2nd half of this season.

N

NotAUserName

It's not that I don't like Özil's newfound hunger for goals and I've even criticized him many times in the past that he should be contributing more to our attack considering his free role and lack of defensive duties. However, I feel like Wenger is doing it in a way that harms us overall (I know we're second in the league). We're currently 9th for chances created, behind the likes of West Ham, Southampton and Everton. We currently require the least chances and shots to score a goal, an efficiency that won't last. We need to start creating more chances and as much as Özil hasn't been great in this area, the fault also lies with Wenger's use of Cazorla, Coquelin and Alexis.

When you play Alexis as a striker as opposed to the flank, you are sacrificing some of his creativity for more clinical finishing, which is smart. Alexis however is not a natural striker and has a tendency to get too involved in the build-up play, especially when he is not getting enough of the ball in dangerous areas. This creates a situation then where Özil has to occupy the striker position and wait for the pass from Alexis, which to me is putting the cart before the horse. Alexis has assisted Özil three times this season, the second highest amount in the league. This should be the other way around since Özil is better at creating chances and Alexis at putting them away.

Something similar also applies to Wenger's use of Cazorla and Coquelin. I find it bizarre that Wenger has pushed Cazorla further back and Coquelin forward at the same time that Özil should be scoring more. Coquelin despite having made the most final third passes in Europe (slightly ahead of Messi, Neymar and Rakitic) has only created the 10th most chances in our team. I'm sorry but I don't like B2B/decoy Coquelin. Worse is that Cazorla who could have then stepped up for us is left playing deep-lying playmaker.

Reactions: A_G

ArtetaCognition

Granit Xhaka Enthusiast

He was having an issue towards the end of last season by being crowded out. In his newer role, he seems to be sitting more with the oppositions defenders and then dropping deeper, giving them the dilemma of whether or not to follow him and risk the others getting in behind. I think this is the way forward for a player like Özil in the Premier League. The thing is, he doesn't have to make the difference every single time he touches the ball. As long as he uses his immense quality once or twice a game, we should be fine.

logic DC

It's not that I don't like Özil's newfound hunger for goals and I've even criticized him many times in the past that he should be contributing more to our attack considering his free role and lack of defensive duties. However, I feel like Wenger is doing it in a way that harms us overall (I know we're second in the league). We're currently 9th for chances created, behind the likes of West Ham, Southampton and Everton. We currently require the least chances and shots to score a goal, an efficiency that won't last. We need to start creating more chances and as much as Özil hasn't been great in this area, the fault also lies with Wenger's use of Cazorla, Coquelin and Alexis.

When you play Alexis as a striker as opposed to the flank, you are sacrificing some of his creativity for more clinical finishing, which is smart. Alexis however is not a natural striker and has a tendency to get too involved in the build-up play, especially when he is not getting enough of the ball in dangerous areas. This creates a situation then where Özil has to occupy the striker position and wait for the pass from Alexis, which to me is putting the cart before the horse. Alexis has assisted Özil three times this season, the second highest amount in the league. This should be the other way around since Özil is better at creating chances and Alexis at putting them away.

Something similar also applies to Wenger's use of Cazorla and Coquelin. I find it bizarre that Wenger has pushed Cazorla further back and Coquelin forward at the same time that Özil should be scoring more. Coquelin despite having made the most final third passes in Europe (slightly ahead of Messi, Neymar and Rakitic) has only created the 10th most chances in our team. I'm sorry but I don't like B2B/decoy Coquelin. Worse is that Cazorla who could have then stepped up for us is left playing deep-lying playmaker.
you had me going there, until you criticised Wenger for using Alexis as a ST. I guess it was true when Arsène said you can't please everyone even though we are playing the best football in the league and wining game some see fault,

logic DC

don't blame the system or whatever, it's down to Özil to bring back that influence we know he can have on games, as for those complaining about Alexis playing as striker, please don't do a Owen, yall are better than that.

N

NotAUserName

you had me going there, until you criticised Wenger for using Alexis as a ST. I guess it was true when Arsène said you can't please everyone even though we are playing the best football in the league and wining game some see fault,
I am not necessarily criticizing Wenger for using Alexis as a striker. I've always supported the decision and I even stated in my post that it was a smart decision. What I don't like is when Alexis drops back due to lack of service or trying to make things happen and then Özil takes up his position. I feel like this reversal of role, which has happened too many times for my liking is ineffective.

Ewarwoowar

These new roles for the players is still pretty new, but so far paying dividends, we have had our off moments, but it's too early yet to pass full judgement(tho' things are lookin good). I am sure the stand out players are allowed freedom(given nod by Wenger) of choice to tweak their positions a bit as and when the occasion arises. We just hope each individual communicates well with each other and does whats best for the team.

Ozils been alright, has not been stellar though, these things happen, imagine where we will be if He discovers the assist form from the first half of last season and pops a few in in the mean:drool:. Of course maybe these mini criticisms of Özil might be more muted had that ball not checked up on that velcro pitch!

Last edited:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle

Excellent post. Not just because I agree with every word either!

slide

I like that he has found efficiency in front of goal but I do agree that he has it in him to play a more dominant role during the 90 mins. I think it's exciting that we are performing well this season considering a player like Özil is yet to hit the heights we know he can.

Taxi Driver

First they came for the Facilitators-in-chiefs, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Facilitator-in-chief.

Then they came for the Goal Machines, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Goal Machine.

Then they came for the Smooth Synergists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Smooth Synergist.

Then they came for Taxi Drivers —and there was no one left to speak for me.

Uncle Good-Advice

I think he's been playing well but there are certain areas that hurt his statistical output.

First, we are still adjusting to our new system with Alexis as false ST, Özil even more upfront (as it was pointed above), Iwobi's emergence and so on.

Second, Giroud was out for a long period, it can't be argued that most of Özil's assist came from Giroud's goals. I think we will see Giroud a lot more nowadays as he looks sharp and therefore Özil's numbers will rise.

Third, Ramsey just went back, I know he's a polarizing figure but his runs is very important for players like Özil who can easily pick them. Wenger's system always relied on goalscorers from midfield and Ramsey is probably the only one who can provide it somewhat constantly. Of course there's a lot of work to do for him.

All of the above will help us in creating chances, which definitely is the problem as there's too few of them comparing to other top teams. More chances usually lead to more goals, assists and Özil should be the main beneficiary of that.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I'm really impressed by his movement. He always manages to beat the offside trap at exactly the right time, hitting top gear perfectly, like Theo does. If he was a killer finisher, he could score a lot of goals this season. Right now we are doing well, and he's scoring his fair share, so we have time to wait for him. It will be really nice when he hits a good streak.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

A couple of things:

- Alexis had started to become relatively predictable as a flank player, particularly with Giroud as CF. Coming from the right he was picking up decent scoring positions, but he mainly played from the left, and it wasn't long before every move he made in that position started to become telegraphed. Because he has quality, he was still able to succeed, but it's become clear that Alexis needs to be somewhat central to the play in order to get the best out of him. I'd say his role up front is like a free role really, and the movement ahead of him is far superior than it was a season previous, with smart movers like Özil, Walcott and Iwobi. Özil is as good at moving into/using space as he is at creating chances. I don't think Wenger loses that much pushing Özil further forward - in theory, that's where we want him anyway. I suspect the chances created will go up, as will his shots. He should really be scoring more than he does.

- I've probably said this 100 times in the Coquelin thread but Wenger is pretty much using them the best way he can. There is this theory that Coquelin should be sitting doing nothing else but tackle deep in the field while Cazorla is further up. That's all very well and good, but there are two problems with this. The first one is that Coquelin still has limitations on the ball, and distribution from deep with him will be a problem unless Cazorla also drops deep and makes himself available - and that brings us to the other problem, which is that Wenger wants the team to get the ball forward quicker than they probably do at the moment, so he pushes both midfielders up and gives the defenders space to distribute themselves. The latter is more a Wenger problem than anything else, but in practice I don't see much issue with it as of right now, as our positioning during the build-up seems to be miles better than last year.

Coquelin is playing some of his best football at the moment in this B2B role (bar one game IMO), and I correctly predicted that not only is this the best way to use him in the current set-up, but that he would shine by winning the ball higher up the field to help with attacks, and he has done that. Sitting deep and tackling wouldn't have been it. Only when we need to defend a lead! :lol: Having said that, I agree that his limitations make his final third presence a tad troublesome when he cannot do any damage. If he was a better passer, he'd probably play deeper. That's why we bought Xhaka, because what we may slightly lose defensively (and that's more to do with pace and agility than anything), we gain in technique.

blaze_of_glory

I think a decent part of the reason he's not appeared to be as much of a standout player so far this season is that the rest of the team has raised their game up closer to where him and Alexis normally reside, as opposed to him really dropping off all that much. He can still go up a gear, has been sloppier sometimes than you would expect, but he's been a consistent threat every game and he's always contributing to pretty much every attack in some way.

Still learning his new role as well, as is Alexis. They are almost like a new strike partnership for us at the moment and it's just going to keep getting better I think. Özil's movement is helping Alexis a lot as the CF, as he gives him space when he runs beyond, and they are combining very well regardless of who is on the end of chances. And I mean this whole discussion about Özil's form is coming at a time he is scoring at a better rate than he ever has for us, and the team is in the midst of a great run of results. I don't think there is much to be concerned about.

Overall he's still our most integral player apart from Kos I would say, in that they are fundamental to how the team plays at its best.

Thinking Özil is just that brilliant. Got to the level that even when he is not scoring or assisting he is still one of our best player. Messing with opposition players heads with his movement behind defences. Nobody prepares for Özil to move behind this much like he is doing. Everyone is confused.

Can Özil get any better? I don't think so. This is top level football he is playing this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I'm obsessed by the idea of making my mark on history. And Arsenal is my paradise.

Thierry Henry

Daily Transfer Updates

Monday, May 20

Thomas Partey is wanted by clubs in Saudi Arabia, with just one year left on his deal [Evening Standard]

Pedro Neto & Nico Williams are admired by the club, while they have also watched Amadou Onana and Martin Zubimendi this season [Evening Standard]

Cedric Soares confirms his departure from the club [Arsenal.com]

Borussia Dortmund will rival Arsenal to sign Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim]

Latest posts

Top Bottom