• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Most overrated Arsenal players

ThlRama

Player:Saka
Overrated doesn't mean a bad player, just means not as good as people think he is.

For example Mertesacker is not overrated as he is what everyone thinks he is, a good defender.

Saliba will be a great defender, but just feel he isn't quite there yet...he will be one day though 100%, and no shame in not being there yet at just 22 either.
I know well what overrated means, last time I posted about this you laughed at me, this is why I'm asking. Maybe my take was more extreme but it's hard to argue that Saliba isn't overrated currently among Arsenal fans.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I know well what overrated means, last time I posted about this you laughed at me, this is why I'm asking. Maybe my take was more extreme but it's hard to argue that Saliba isn't overrated currently among Arsenal fans.

Provided he was playing next to a more vocal CB, he would definitely start for most of the teams you said he wouldn't... that's why I laughed.

Have you seen the current Barcelona and Munich defence, ffs 😅

ThlRama

Have you seen the current Barcelona and Munich defence, ffs 😅
Barcelona and Bayern currently suffer from systemic issues in their defense, rather than from the lack of individual quality. Bayern in particular have also been quite unlucky in terms of goals conceded in their league, at least that's what the eye test said in a few games I've watched, because I haven't looked up xG stats. There's no shame in any of that since most (if not all) of these defenders are older and more expensive than William, but to be honest I wouldn't have him in the top 10 CBs currently (based on actual form, not talent/potential), and many on here seem to argue that he is already #1.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

Saliba, don't get me wrong, he's a great talent with huge potential, but I've seen people calling him the best CB in the league/world and even listing him among the best ever Arsenal centrebacks.

He hasnt reached the levels of Koscielny and Toure yet, let alone the elite like Campbell. He could surpass them but he's still far from that, he makes too many Mustafi-like mistakes (understandably due to inexperience) to be listed among the greats. In fact, Id argue that Gabriel is a better defender, Saliba is only better on the ball than him.

Feel like this is contrarian for the sake of it. He's certainly not Toure level yet but you'd be crazy to take Koscielny over Saliba, Kos was a glorified puss (underrated outside of Arsenal fandom but forced WC within the fanbase).

Out of the two, Gabriel is slightly more rash and error prone although he has made huge strides in this department this season.

ASAP Berg

Established Member
Overrated in this squad.

I love him but maybe Martinelli. He has pace and is very direct but for me hasn't really developed a long range shot or even being dangerous from outside the box. I want to see him have a breakout game in the CL and really become a star.

I would say Rashford would probably score 20 league goals in our system. Pains me to say because I love Martinelli.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
ESR. I love the kid, but what I'm seeing from Palmer at Chelsea has made me revisit ESR's breakout season for us. He's a great player, but he doesn't warrant the adulation he gets from the fans in the stadium. I don't think Arteta is keen on him either. You don't buy Trossard and Vieira if you believe in his talent.

HaffBR

Designer of fancy pyramids

Player:White
I haven't seen him named, but I'd go with RVP. In my memory, he's a generationally great striker. In reality, he only had two years in the PL with over 20 goals, his last season with us, and his first at United. And finished up that United contract--that we cursed Arsenal for not being able to get done--busily not scoring goals in Turkey.

P.S. For me, overrated doesn't mean bad. It could be very, very good, but rated as great. So that's why I pick RVP.

RVP was crazy talented, but too injury prone. His level between 2009-2012 is only rivaled by the greatest strikers of this generation, Suarez, Benzema (for a small period), Ibra and Lewa.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
Going by recent AM posts, it’s city reject 1. People act during the first few months when he was fit he was prime Henry level. When in reality he was on a 10 game scoreless streak before getting injured. Now people have started pretending like he can be a great winger. Goalposts keep on shifting without actually acknowledging that he is just a lucky guy who lucked into playing for two great teams without ever actually being great himself. His injuries keep on enhancing his reputation which should be nonexistent at this point

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Especially this leadership bollocks. I've never seen someone get heralded as a great leader while simultaneously being responsible for consistently losing their head and making individual mistakes.
The way some people were presenting him last season I was scared we might be relegated this season without him, but here we are fighting for the title in April and playing Champions League vs Bayern. Guys like Xhaka and Havertz have no impact on our game even though some forum experts will tell you a different story

• Fire
Reactions: BBF

GDeep™

League is very weak
RVP was crazy talented, but too injury prone. His level between 2009-2012 is only rivaled by the greatest strikers of this generation, Suarez, Benzema (for a small period), Ibra and Lewa.
Peak RvP is better than any striker in the game today.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Probably Ljungberg curtesy of him being an invinsible. If you switch him out for Walcott with a time machine, we'd get pretty much the same results if not better imo

Probably Adepaywhore too, everything was put on a plate for him at the carpet and he kind of returned to an average CF everywhere else

ThlRama

Peak RvP is better than any striker in the game today.
Nah, not better than Kane overall, not better than Lewa and Benzema going one or a couple of seasons back. Do we count Mbappe as a striker? Cause he is better too. Haaland needs to do more. Peak van Persie is the most technical of the bunch, though.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Probably Ljungberg curtesy of him being an invinsible. If you switch him out for Walcott with a time machine, we'd get pretty much the same results if not better imo

Probably Adepaywhore too, everything was put on a plate for him at the carpet and he kind of returned to an average CF everywhere else

Adebayor had crazy potential but didn't want it enough, not sure he was all there upstairs and you get the feeling he got by on talent and didn't really work as hard as he should have. Dunno if he was overrated tho, he's never been rated at the level of an RvP etc. but was unplayable on his day

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
Adebayor had crazy potential but didn't want it enough, not sure he was all there upstairs and you get the feeling he got by on talent and didn't really work as hard as he should have. Dunno if he was overrated tho, he's never been rated at the level of an RvP etc. but was unplayable on his day
After his 1 amazing season his ego inflated by a thousand & he thought he was a LOT better than he actually was.

He managed to have a decent career after leaving us but it's a shame he jumped ship in such sour circumstances.

Possibly he had people around him advising him wrongly, but hey ho.

HaffBR

Nah, not better than Kane overall, not better than Lewa and Benzema going one or a couple of seasons back. Do we count Mbappe as a striker? Cause he is better too. Haaland needs to do more. Peak van Persie is the most technical of the bunch, though.

Better than Kane and equal to Lewa and Benzema in his prime.

HaffBR

Overrated in this squad.

I love him but maybe Martinelli. He has pace and is very direct but for me hasn't really developed a long range shot or even being dangerous from outside the box. I want to see him have a breakout game in the CL and really become a star.

I would say Rashford would probably score 20 league goals in our system. Pains me to say because I love Martinelli.

Rashford will make the team worse and Martinelli was let alone by Arteta's tactics.
See the difference in support from Saka and Martinelli. Saka has Ødegaard on his side who is arguable better than himself (let season that was clearly the case, they are on par this season for me) and Ben White someone who is reliable in defense and still overlaps... while Martinelli has Havertz who act and is a striker and Zinchenko who can't defend and dont overlap or Rice who plays double pivot basically and Tomiyasu/Kiwior who are center backs. Both options are very bad for him compared to Ødegaard/White.
Martinelli has no compensation and is being sacrificed while Saka has more support and freedom to move the center... so Arsenal isn't using Martinelli properly, certainly not his strengths.

Arsenal Quotes

You weren’t world-class when Arsenal signed you

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom