• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

MotM - CL: Hamburg vs Arsenal | 13/09/06

f4evo

hard to decide, superb performances from Gilberto and Rosicky, i'll say Rosicky just because of that awesome goal!

but yeah Cesc, RvP and Ade had great performances too :)

Grampus_Eight

Rosicky in my MOTM. Spectacular goal. Hard to ask for a better CL debut in an Arsenal shirt. But if it weren't his first european performance for the Arsenal, I think I'd have to go with Gilberto - not only was he his usual solid self in defense, but he didn't once to my eye give the ball a way cheaply.

I know it's not right to do this, but Hoyte was the least impressive player for us. A shocking moment (although he isn't the only one responsible for their goal I guess). Let's just pray Toure is fit or Flamini demands to play LB.

qs

Established Member
Rosicky for me. Even without the goal Id have given it too him. He was so good on the ball and he ran their defence ragged. He took alot of the pressure off Cesc and that allowed him to control the game.

Looking forward to seeing Thom under pressure now on Sunday. Certainly a great replacement for Bobby.

athreya74

Rosicky for me. His goal settled us down and Hamburg became desperate after that.

Gilberto and Ade also get a mention. Ade worked his socks off and for a self-confessed RvP fan, he was a revelation. He always made himself available for counter-attacks. RvP had a decent game, his off the ball movement was better although he has to start scoring goals for his confidence to hold.

Hleb was also quite dynamic and overall I thought he has developed some udnerstanding with RvP. Coupled with his linking with Eboue, this makes us stronger on the right flank.

Cesc was competent as usual but towards the end he gave away the ball a few times. I have a feeling he is fatigued and maybe needs a complete break from playing for 7-10 days.

Funnily I thought the offensive players' movement was markedly better compared to our EPL efforts. It is too simplistic to say that Titi's absence was the reason. Maybe CL and teams like Hamburg do suit our style.

sycophancticide

It's Interesting to see how far Gilberto has come in the minds of Arsenal fans. Two years ago he was constantly singled out for his lack of passing ability and inability to fit into the offense.

I was one of his biggest critics. But it's seems that since Vieira's departure, that he has really found a nice for himself.

Ratinho

Established Member
People syaing RvP.......he wasn't bad, but his finishing and general mehness compared to those around him puts him about 8th on the list last night. Hoyte taking up positions 19, 20 and 39.

Immense in midfield aside form the tired looking Hleb. Gallas was excellent and calming again, and Djourou looked very good, which suggests he's getting used to having to do his and a lot of Hoyte's work. Ade was again full of running, hard work and great link up play. Yeah, he never looks like scoring, but we can teahc him that, as his all round game is so good.

Three outstanding players for me were clear though. Cesc, Rosicky and again Gilberto.

Surround Bert with attacking players, allow him to do his real role in teh midfield, and he'll do that all season. He was amazy, and he's my MotM. :)

asajoseph

Established Member
A lot of good performances yesterday - Gallas and Djourou both put in very solid performances at the back, if Eboue could cross the ball without blasting it quite so hard, and didn't dive into tackles too high up the pitch he'd be the best RB in the world, and Fabregas worked very hard in midfield.

I'd go with the consensus though, in that our two standout players were Gilberto and Rosicky. The Brazilian was a general in the middle of the park, and, on top of a cracking penalty into the side-netting, really took control, and stopped all of HSV's play through the middle. For me though, perhaps slightly against the grain, Rosicky shades it, mainly because he provided something that it looks like we're really going to need this season - not just a brilliant goal from midfield, but a bit of pace and urgency in our attacking play. He was a true firecracker, looking to make things happen, his goal was brilliant, but he's got a fantastic shot so it was hardly surprising. What's more, he was always looking to stay on his feet, when one could not help but feel that had Reyes, or indeed Pires, been playing, they'd have taken the easy option and hit the grass.

MOTM: Rosicky

Grampus_Eight

By the way, Sanogo and Kompany were both immense in my opinion.

Vincent looked the business...

Anyone else standout in their side for you?

athreya74

Grampus_Eight said:
By the way, Sanogo and Kompany were both immense in my opinion.

Vincent looked the business...

Anyone else standout in their side for you?

Sanogo was good. I also thought Ljuboja looked lively. Kompany looked a touch slow but his recovery rate was very good. And he did seem to dispossess RvP with ease on couple of occasions. Shame we didn't get to see Van der Vaart but I have no doubt our Brazilian would have owned him.

Grampus_Eight

Thought looked very strong, especially when down to 10 men. Very confident, classy and assured. Didn't see any lack of speed, but I did see him catch us napping and provide a very good pass into the box from which they scored.

I also thought de Jong had some good moments too.

eye4goal

Established Member
Gilberto Silva. Gilberto and Toure have shown more leadership than anyone so far this season. We need another Rocket from Rosicky on sunday

zievad

Although Rosicky was excellent and I expect huge things from him, Gilberto was MOTM for me. He broke up play and his distribution was good, not as quick and decisive as it could be but he didn't give away as much possesion as he is sometimes inclined to do. Well done BERT!

Jameel46

Established Member
skysports has Fabregas as man of the match with 9/10

trochowski was hamburg's man of the match with 8/10

Army of Me

Established Member
Rosicky. He was our attack last night.

Special mentions to Gilberto and RvP, although RvP's dive takes a little bit of shine off of his performance.

bohemian

I'd love to say Rosicky, he's been one of my favorite players for years, but its time we give Gilberto his due. He's a great player, and MOTM

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
NIPOLOPO said:
MOM:Gilberto , he was immense for us, and where the hell did he learn all that showboating skills, I'll never know. joga bonito baby 8)

Clearly, he's always had them and he's just sacrificed himself by making himself look a one dimensional footballer for the good of the team... ;-)

Anyway, I usually disagree with voting for someone just because they scored, but it was such a good goal that I think he deserves it- not thathis all round game wasn't good- Rosicky for me.

Lukazan

Established Member
Yeah, I remember last season in the Charity Shield Joe Cole and Makelele ran in to eachother after Gilberto performed a lovely roulette between the pair.

entropy13

Established Member
Rosicky, Fabregas or Gilberto...

They were all instrumental. They deserve the thumbs-up. And the whole team too of course ;)

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal are the most beautiful club in England. At Man City and Chelsea, they will never have that class and style.

Marco van Basten
Top Bottom