• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

MotM - PL: West Ham United vs Arsenal | 26/10/08

west ham - motm

• almunia

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • gallas

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • adebayor

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • bendtner

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • other

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mobb Starr

Almunia 7
Eboue 7
Gallas 7
Silvestre 6
Clichy 6
Walcott 6
Nasri 5
Cesc 6
Song 7
RVP 5
Nik 5

Subs

Adebayor 8 MoM
Diaby 5
Sagna 5

Ade took match by scruff of neck and made things happen. Until then we were huffing and puffing. An open game, Wham did well. We're still 2-3 players short of a title bid based upon this performance. LB, CB and CDM need more competition for places. Eduardo will be our No:2 striker before Xmas if RVP and Nik keep playing like that!

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
Re: West Ham vs Arsenal: MotM

ive changed the title of the thread since we already have a Player Rating thread

General

Established Member

Gallas without a doubt. In fact the back four produced a near perfect platform for the team to go on and win the game.

qs

Established Member

The centre halfs were a bit dodgy in the first half.

kamikaze80

Established Member

i'd go with gallas, probably. or bendtner, almunia or adebayor. i'm not sure we come away with any points if manny didnt make that save..

EDIT: changed this to a poll

qs

Established Member

Bendtner? He made one great pass. The rest was pretty average.

Agree Almunia was great though.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.

qs said:

well, he did have another great exchange with Ade before Ade scored, but i agree, other than those couple plays, he was not all that impressive... (one decent shot as well)

kamikaze80

Established Member

qs said:

he was the only one trying to give us width in the first half. he was the initiator of our best passing move in the second half. his far post run caused the own goal. his pass was entirely responsible for the second goal. i thought he was our sharpest player in the second half, and having someone who made positive runs instead of running backwards and ball watching like van persie definitely helped our attack.

qs

Established Member

Gallas was pretty poor. How many times did Al bail out the defense in the first half?

People focus too much of the game changing mistake or pass and forget the potentially game changing ones. Cesc mad 3 or 4 great cutting passes today that Theo, Nik and maybe Robin ****ed up. If a couple of them had been properly dealt with by the strikers everyone would be raving about Cescs game, now I see he's getting some flak. Opposite is true with Gallas, he's nominated for MOTM yet if Al hadn't made several outstanding saves we'd all be criticising him for costing us points yet again.

kamikaze80

Established Member

as far as i can remember, al bailed us out once in the first half? i suppose gallas couldve read the danger earlier and slid over to the space vacated by silvestre, which was where bellamy ran, or maybe you could argue it was clichys responsibility to track bellamy once silvestre committed himself. not having seen that sequence again, i'm not sure off the top of my head. but my initial reaction was silvestre got caught out and a great run from bellamy and a better pass from parker. luckily, the save was even better.

other than that, i thought gallas was imperious. had cole and bellamy in his pocket. strange that our opinions range from "poor" to "imperious".

qs

Established Member

kamikaze80 said:
qs said:

he was the only one trying to give us width in the first half. he was the initiator of our best passing move in the second half. his far post run caused the own goal. his pass was entirely responsible for the second goal. i thought he was our sharpest player in the second half, and having someone who made positive runs instead of running backwards and ball watching like van persie definitely helped our attack.

His far post run was nothing, sorry but it should've been but if Faubert hadn't put that in Nik wouldn't have either. He should have but he wouldn't have. One thing that really gets me about Nik is that he cuts his runs short, he never gives that extra burst in the hopes of getting it.

I don't want to slate Nik I didn't think he had a bad game and the pass for the 2nd was excellent but he didn't stand out at all. I thought van Persie was much more of a goal threat too.

qs

Established Member

kamikaze80 said:
as far as i can remember, al bailed us out once in the first half? i suppose gallas couldve read the danger earlier and slid over to the space vacated by silvestre, which was where bellamy ran,

He ran between them and Gallas reacted late and never covered.

kamikaze80 said:
or maybe you could argue it was clichys responsibility to track bellamy once silvestre committed himself. not having seen that sequence again, i'm not sure off the top of my head. but my initial reaction was silvestre got caught out and a great run from bellamy and a better pass from parker. luckily, the save was even better.

It didn't have anything to do with Clichy thats for sure. I'll admit it was a great pass and run but I thought Gallas looked sluggish on it.

kamikaze80 said:
other than that, i thought gallas was imperious. had cole and bellamy in his pocket. strange that our opinions range from "poor" to "imperious".

He made a huge **** up that gave away a corner too. Ridiculous from him at the time too.

He did make a couple of good tackles and it wasn't his worst game but he never rose above adequate IMO and there was a couple of things could have really changed how people viewed his game.

General

Established Member

qs said:
Gallas was pretty poor.

Really?

Some of you simply cannot look beyond your noses can you?

You may not agree with his MOTM nomination but "poor"? Yeah, whatever next!

Had we conceded from the corner, Almunia would’ve been guilty for his reluctance to come off his line with time aplenty. The way he out-muscled Bellamy in the second half despite being the least favourite to the ball summed up his performance really. It was a solid all round display considering his lack of action for the past few weeks.

qs

Established Member

General said:
Had we conceded from the corner, Almunia would’ve been guilty for his reluctance to come off his line with time aplenty.

And what tackle the team captain.

Yeah, whatever, next :roll:

arsmile

Established Member

General said:
qs said:
Gallas was pretty poor.

Had we conceded from the corner, Almunia would’ve been guilty for his reluctance to come off his line with time aplenty.

the ball was at gallas' feet...the keeper cant come for those, he should have just put it out for a throw- he dallied and then took a really bad touch, giving away the corner. It's the Cbs job to do what the keeper says in those incidences cos they have a better view of the game- al never gave any indication that he was coming for the ball- so gallas should have cleared.

it wasnt a massive incident in the game, the only problem with it was gallas' heavy touch.

General

Established Member

qs said:
General said:

No collect the flaming ball. It's not difficult to grasp that Gallas had it covered and Almunia simply had to come and collect. Any clearance in that situation from Gallas (with his back to the opposition as it was) would've always been diffult. He still dealt with it in the end.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

qs said:
General said:

I said in the match thread that Al did nothing wrong there; I've seen it again and I haven't changed my mind. Gallas, bless him, was just upset that his touch was terrible.

I voted Al by the way; Ade's contribution was telling, but this was a game of attrition which we simply would not have been in a position to win if it weren't for Al's performance.

Arsenal Quotes

As a club, we have an educational purpose: to give back to those people who love Arsenal so that they learn moral values from our game and how we behave.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom