• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Anelka

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnsjed

Established Member
As posted in another forum http://www.topix.net/forum/world-soccer/bolton-wanderers/TTDU18IH75U4USPV7 there is talk on a Bolton forum that Anelka is the player that Barry Silkman was referring to on Newsnight last Friday.
Now I am not one to visit other teams forums, let alone Bolton's, but they seem to believe that this "Wanderer in exile' is a decent source.
Now I know the return of Anelka is being discussed both in the Eto'o and Torres threads, but though it would be cleaner to have it's own thread, so it doesn't get lost within other debates.

I personally posted my own opinion in the Torres thread, which I have copied below.

"I remember Wenger saying he would have been happy to bring Anelka back when he returned to the EPL from Fenerbache but was put off by the transfer fee.
Quite frankly I lived through all that Anelka crap, and I can't say I have 1/2 the animosity towards him that some have, not sure why, or maybe it's you with the problem!!!
To me, it wasn't as if he had already cemented himself at Arsenal when he left. He had clearly become a first choice, but hadn't gone anywhere close to erasing the memory of Wrighty (I know he was still there, but was very peripheral by the end of 1998), and we got a ton of money for him.
He seems to have matured a lot since his Arsenal days, and his team mates have always spoken highly of him.
If we had Anelka playing for us last season, we would have been in contention in the league for an awful lot longer then we were.
We know he can score in the EPL, he would be a lot cheaper then Torres or Eto'o, far less of a gamble, and seems to be fairly injury free. "

So guys what do you think, will Henry and Anelka finally partner one another, or will Henry once again miss out on his dream partner with him going to Barca?

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
As much as I would like to believe that Anelka would be bought as a partner for Henry, I just can't see it. I think he will be one of Henry's replacements.

If true, I'm quite surprised to see Song being sold to Bolton as part of the deal, as we only signed him last summer for a fee close to £3m.

AFCFan4Ever

Wonder if there's actually anything in this or if it's just like the Tuncay rumors, when that muppet posted it on his blog.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
All of the players who were at the club during Anelka's first spell at the club have left, so that could prove a decisive factor if Wenger decides to bring him back. The fans will forgive him as soon as he starts banging in the goals.

Love him or hate you cannot deny that he's a brilliant striker. There's something about him that I prefer to Eto'o. I'm not talking about the price. Anelka just seems like the kind of striker that makes defenders **** themselves.

Lord Dula

Established Member
A front four of Henry, RvP, Anelka, and Ade to choose from with Theo, Bendtner and soon Vela in reserve, we can say that we'd have a top notch selection - one which would have the required quality, experience and range to be successful.

Lord Dula

Established Member
He's also be able to hack it on a cold winters night in Bolton - the criteria which most here seem to want w.r.t. new signings.

longrufus

Established Member
I'd love him here, he is an amazingly talented player that would offer us so much.

To be honest im not even that angry at him anymore in the way he left. He was young and naive, and his brothers were forcing the issue for their own interests. Who here can say they didnt make stupid decisions at such a young age. When you consider the pressure he was under, its understanable.

I think he has matured alot over recent years, and now, he knows he really only has one more chance at the big time. Im sure he'd grab it with both hands.

I'd hope he was brought in to strengthen the squad, and not to replace Henry. However, if Henry was set on leaving for Barca, if we could bring in Eto'o as part of the deal as well as sign Anelka, it would be the best of a bad situation.

longrufus

Established Member
Lord Dula said:
A front four of Henry, RvP, Anelka, and Ade to choose from with Theo, Bendtner and soon Vela in reserve, we can say that we'd have a top notch selection - one which would have the required quality, experience and range to be successful.

Agreed.

We'd simply have the best set of strikers in the prem.

burnsjed

Established Member
To me, the advantage Anelka has over Eto'o are.
1. Settling in to the EPL
2. No ANC
3. Price

Though Eto'o has scored many goals for Barca, he has done with a team that has had Ronaldiniho and now Messi, which obviously opens up space for him.
He wouldn't get that at Arsenal now , will he.
Secondly, there have been a few players who looked the dogs in La Ligua, yet failed to impress in the EPL.
Baptista, Forlan and Kanoute spring to mind, yet they scored goals for fun in Spain (kind of).

Allyboy

Established Member
Im not one to question the validity of the source, but the fact the guy can't spell Wednesday makes me think this might not be on the up and up.....

Allyboy

Established Member
There also doesn't seem to be on actual dedicated Bolton forum running the story either, and when you google Wanderer Corner you do not get a blog as far as I can tell. There is a site, but its not been updated since they beat us 3-1 in November last year.

Im calling bullshit on this one and I still think the Silverman (or whatever his name was) deal is Aliadiere to Boro, if it even exists!

Artillero

I am not expecting Anelka holding up a no 9 shirt next to Wenger anytime soon......

but from the look of that site its just genuine Bolton fans just talking about a possiable deal, not like the nutters in the lobby who make rumours up for every player under the sun.

There are very few strikers for under 10 mill who would score the same amount of goals as Nik. Great player, and all players who have played with him say he is a nice guy. I know he messed us around before but he was young and Real convinced his £££ hungry brother.

Paddy from Sweden

The only problem I have with this is the thought of Henry maybe leaving. Just don't want it to happen. Sadly it might be that way.

If Anelka comes back and replace Henry the circle is closed. Henry replaced Anelka and now it may be the other way around.

I got the headline done already:

The prodigal son returns!

:shock:

Grampus_Eight

Anelka has apparently really matured as a person at Bolton under Big Fat Sam and it was really nice to read how he invited so many players, staff and even club workers to his wedding in Tangiers - and picked up the tab.

But, anyone who wants to see Anelka return needs to consider that Nicola may have changed as a person (over the last year), but it doesn't look to me like he's changed all that much as a player.

Apparently, he did buy into working much harder for Big Fat Sam, but he didn't exactly bust a lung everytime out according to most Bolton fans.

He's also always had a real tough time keeping his opinions to himself - whether they be that Overmars disliked him and wouldn't pass him the ball or how Djbril Cisse is a joke of a footballer. At Bolton he was the big cheese and kept his opinions basically to himself, but they don't exactly get the sort of media coverage we do. If he has to share playing time with v. Persie, Adebayor, Bendtner and co., will we not hear about how Ade can't finish, how Bendtner has a poor first touch and the like? Because the rags seem to know how to get a quote from him.

And for anyone who is critical of Henry's work-rate, running off the ball or sulking, please don't advocate getting Le Sulk himself and then turn around and be critical of his style of play.

Canuck

Established Member
People grow.
I would be happy if we signed Anelka, and he is a 'super-talent'.
I wouldn't be terribly surprised at all if Wenger did ask Thierry to stay on another season so that he could play the two of them together. Or at least give it a try.
Good points regarding Eto'o -- Anelka there Bo.
Already knows the league, and no ACN.
Hopefully he'd [NA] be hungry to play if he signed and there'd be no dwelling on the past.

dos1986

Established Member
Anelka would be a good signing....he's no where near the player he was though,he was the best teenager alongside Ronaldo that I have ever seen...he had incredible pace,power,touch etc...he's still very good now,but not world class...he's just below Robin's level imo,but what do you expect for £8mill,which is a great deal for a guy of his quality..

Considering we sold never gonna be good enough Stokes and Ali for £4.5mill + then it would be a great bit of business from Arsène..Even if it didnt work out,he's only 28 so we would get the £8mill fee back no prob..

gstew

I would argue that the sales of Anelka, Overmars & Petit are what eventually allowed us to build the new stadium. That 50+ million pounds allowed for a cost neutral transfer period over a number of years. This, in turn, allowed a very conservative board to make the largest expenditure ever by a British club. So I hold no animosity towards Anelka.

But what concerns me is that Houllier chose to let him go, and instead brought Diouf in. Houllier could see him every day in practice, so he obviously understood the talent he was giving up. And multiple French managers kept him out of the national team. Of course, Houllier could just be an idiot and I haven't been very impressed by the France managers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

One of the things I discovered in Japan was from watching sumo wrestling. At the end you can never tell who has won the fight, and who has lost, because they do not show their emotion because it could embarrass the loser. It is unbelievable. That is why I try to teach my team politeness. It is only here in England that everybody pokes their tongue out when they win.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom