• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: The Nutmeg Express!

What would you do with Pepe?

• Keep him for the foreseeable future

• Give him one more season to prove himself

• Sell if you can get a significant fee, keep otherwise

• Sell at any price

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moah

Arteta said all the right things in that interview, but that is exactly what frustrates me about him. He knows what needs to be done but will never act on it.

We are just stuck in this endless loop of this mess until the guy moves on.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Man I can’t help it. I’m like one of those guys who looks after abandoned pets. I fought hard for Xhaka and Özil for ages, been fighting for Bellerin and Laca and now I’m fighting for Pepe. Think I just like to argue. :lol:.
I just hate seeing talent going to waste. Or people going overboard. People act like he's stunk out the joint - he's had 4 starts in the league and we're in January :lol:

The red card was his fault, but him starting the season 2nd choice was not. This guy has been through a lot and it's just uncomfortable to see him now. If he doesn't come in from the cold and score a hattrick it's just long for him nowadays.

I've never seen a record signing meet so much resistance before, from both managers, press pushing for youngsters, the fans, its just overly negative around him. I don't know what he's thinking but I genuinely hope he's thinking of a way out - he needs to start again.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I just hate seeing talent going to waste. Or people going overboard. People act like he's stunk out the joint - he's had 4 starts in the league and we're in January :lol:

The red card was his fault, but him starting the season 2nd choice was not. This guy has been through a lot and it's just uncomfortable to see him now. If he doesn't come in from the cold and score a hattrick it's just long for him nowadays.

I've never seen a record signing meet so much resistance before, from both managers, press pushing for youngsters, the fans, its just overly negative around him. I don't know what he's thinking but I genuinely hope he's thinking of a way out - he needs to start again.
He hasn't exactly done himself any favours though. His attitude sometimes has been poor. It's not like Auba has been any better, but Arteta is balls deep in Auba. This is what pisses me off with Arteta. If he'd shown Pepe the same faith he showed Willian and Auba, maybe things would have ended up differently.

Who knows?

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Agree with you for the most part, he's had a tough time here. Signed for a manager who didn't want him, been here during our worst period for attackers in recent history, overpaid for yet held to 70M expectations and then dropped for Willian just when it looked like he was starting to settle in the side. Now the bar is stupid high now with okay performances being taken as stinkers, luckily he doesn't read A-M..I think.

Unlike you though I think Arteta will give him a chance, maybe I'm just naive. He worked hard off the ball and did his defensive duties well, as long as he keeps that up he'll get another chance. Up to him to take it, he has to take some responsibility and his mentality has been lacking at times. Hopefully him and Arteta are in a better place now.

Moah

Agree with you for the most part, he's had a tough time here. Signed for a manager who didn't want him, been here during our worst period for attackers in recent history, overpaid for yet held to 70M expectations and then dropped for Willian just when it looked like he was starting to settle in the side. Now the bar is stupid high now with okay performances being taken as stinkers, luckily he doesn't read A-M..I think.

Unlike you though I think Arteta will give him a chance, maybe I'm just naive. He worked hard off the ball and did his defensive duties well, as long as he keeps that up he'll get another chance. Up to him to take it, he has to take some responsibility and his mentality has been lacking at times. Hopefully him and Arteta are in a better place now.
I hope you are right on this one. These days I'm more of a Pepe fan than an Arsenal one. Our games are a bit too much boring for my liking so my only reason to watch the games is if he starts.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Man I can’t help it. I’m like one of those guys who looks after abandoned pets. I fought hard for Xhaka and Özil for ages, been fighting for Bellerin and Laca and now I’m fighting for Pepe. Think I just like to argue. :lol:

With Pepe I just think that he’s super talented and just needs a bit of work re: harnessing the talent. I’m a firm believer in looking at a players ceiling and then doing everything you can to try and get them there if it’s a high one (Pepe’s ceiling imo is quite close to someone like Salah’s) maybe Wenger left that in me. It’s the same reason I backed Özil until he was undoubtedly finished.

I wish I could have this optimism, i just need 3 bad games to write you off.

I do like Pepe when he’s around the box, i feel like one thing that hinders him is all 3 of him, Laca and Auba play their best in and around the box. You see how much better Laca looks now he doesn’t have to get involved from deep and has others creating, you also see how Auba struggles when he’s too out wide, Pepe has that same issue.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
So many excuses always made for this player that just isn't very good.

If he had the pricetag of Bertrand Traore (similar level player) no one would be talking about him like this or believing there was some great potential when all the excuses are fixed to get out of a player whose level is pretty clear.

Hopefully we can find a suitor in the summer. Or ideally now.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I can see why some people like him, he's exciting to watch. You don't really ever know what he's going to do on the ball, I'm not sure he does either half the time to be honest :lol:

He did decent enough for a first season in a new league and has struggled a bit this season in the chances he's got. He's never looked the level of player we thought we were getting though.

If we don't see a fair bit more out of him in the remainder of the season it's probably best for him and the club if he moves on in the summer

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He did ok last season. He finished with 20G/A last season. There was definitely signs of improvement in his game towards the end of last season. He was definitely one of our best player post covid last season. But his regression this season is hard to explain. His confidence is shot. You have to feel sorry for him in that Willian seems to get away with murder, but the manager wields the big stick on Pepe anytime he makes a mistake.

The only way Pepe saves his career here is if he turns into prime RVP which is practically impossible. This whole situation makes a mockery of the manager's mantra that everyone has an equal chance. If that were true, Willian would have been training with the reserve by now.

Last edited:

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
He did ok last season. He finished with 20G/A last season. There was definitely signs of improvement in his game towards the end of last season. He was definitely one of our best player post covid last season. But his regression this season is hard to explain. His confidence is shot. You have to feel sorry for him in that Willian seems to get away with murder, but the manager wields the big stick on Pepe anytime he makes a mistake.

The only way Pepe saves his career here is if he turns into prime RVP which is practically impossible. This whole situation makes a mockery of the manager's mantra that everyone has an equal chance. If that were true, Willian would have been training with the reserve by now.

Doesn't really tell the story.

4 nPG and 6 assists in 2016 minutes. Iwobi, a player not known for his end product and who contributes far more in other phases of play than Pepe does, had 3 and 6 in 1976 PL minutes in his last season for Arsenal, for comparison.

He's the same as last season, this season, putting up empty numbers against Europa League group stage farmers and continuing to be completely ineffective against good opposition.

Willian is a more talented and quality footballer with a far better track record, it absolutely makes sense that Arteta would give him more opportunities to play himself into form than Pepe. Pepe is getting lots of minutes--the one who could complain here is Nelson, not Pepe, or Willian. The claims of unfairness on Arteta's part is nonsense from people who just refuse to see the reality with Pepe because of his price tag.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
I hope you are right on this one. These days I'm more of a Pepe fan than an Arsenal one. Our games are a bit too much boring for my liking so my only reason to watch the games is if he starts.

Since Smith-Rowe has been inserted into the starting line-up the team has played some good stuff at times.

Laca, Smith-Rowe, Saka and Tierney have all combined very well. Once Partey comes back, plus hopefully we get another CM better than El-neny, Ceballos and Xhaka, we could start seeing some really slick football.

Pepe is not even a typical Arsenal player in terms of style, he is not direct and clinical like the invincible players Pires, Henry or Ljunberg and he is not a technician like Nasri, RVP, Fabregas, Wilshere etc.

Don't know how someone who claims to support Arsenal could consistently look forward to watching Pepe play football.

He is talented, but you can see how flawed his fundamentals are. Prob cause he wasn't even an outfield player till he was 15.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Don't know how someone who claims to support Arsenal could consistently look forward to watching Pepe play football.
I think the reason behind that is that we didn't have someone who can do his magic since Cazorla/Sanchez, and I was willing to accept Pepe because he brought that individual skill.
Not saying Pepe = Sanchez, but I still feel he is very useful and most of the hate comes from his price tag rather than him being a bad player.
He is talented, but you can see how flawed his fundamentals are. Prob cause he wasn't even an outfield player till he was 15.
Which is impressive and explains why his first big season was at 23-24.
When you compare him to Auba, I think the only difference is that Auba moved to Dortmund and Pepe to Arsenal, about the same age after their great season in France. I would say that Pepe could've been better but he made the wrong choice of joining Arsenal

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
I think if he’s used correctly he can be an excellent player for us. £72M worth? No, he can still play a key part here.

I think he played well against Newcastle. His cross for Willock was a beauty and he cut inside well enough, just needs more confidence and conviction in his shooting.

He’s operating a bit higher up which helps. But we still need him between full back and centre back. He can cause havoc in that little pocket, he’s a fantastic dribbler and a quick thinker. We need him in the box more, this guys a penalty waiting to happen.

DasBootist

He will show his worth this season, but he needs Arteta to play him for a stretch of games. Of this I have slight doubt.

Believe it or not. I still have some hope for Pepe.
Me too even though I never supported the signing.
He just needs to stop dilly-dallying and fight to get in the box where he is more efficient. Ideally, he should try and copy Salah's game- beat players with pace more than skill and not be predictable by cutting in all the time.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I will say he's generally been a stat padder in the Europa League so far.

You see flashes of brilliance though. I think this season he's lost a fair bit of confidence so he's more often than not playing a safe ball rather than taking the full back on or trying to be really progressive and drive on.

Pepe for me is at his best when he's cutting in to the centre and getting around the penalty box. Whenever he lining up a shot around the area I kind of back him to score, he got a decent shot on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

There's a minute on the clock left for Arenal. Brady for Arsenal.... right across, Sunderland... IT'S THERE! I do not believe it, I SWEAR I do not believe it!

Peter Jones on the goal against United in the 79 cup final

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 18

Arsenal‘s interest in Ivan Toney has waned. It is unlikely he will join this summer and neither will Alexander Isak, with the club no longer interested at his £120m price [John Cross - The Mirror]

Benjamin Šeško will cost €65m this summer [Sky Sports Germany]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom