• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: The Nutmeg Express!

What would you do with Pepe?

• Keep him for the foreseeable future

• Give him one more season to prove himself

• Sell if you can get a significant fee, keep otherwise

• Sell at any price

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Okay so this is my take on the Arteta, Pepe situation. I feel that we need to look at what the manager wants and what Pepe actually is.

Arteta wants 5 channels of attack and defence, he wants consistency, he wants intelligent and choreographed movement. He wants patterns. We have scored identical goals. That's through practice. There is a way we play out from the back. Its regimented football. There is very little room for improvisation and flamboyance.

Come back to Pepe. He rolls the ball with the sole of his foot. He drops shoulders and feints. He has to do some kind of feint before he passes it when on the flank. In Arteta's eyes, that probably misses the moment a perfectly timed underlap occurs. Pepe ****s about too much on the ball when on the wing. Nelson is similar, but he releases it much quicker. Pepe is supremely arrogant in possession, he loses it half the time because he is doing something with the ball when nobody is even trying to tackle him.

So when is Pepe not like this? The only time when he doesn't **** about with the ball is on the edge of the box. That is where he takes minimal touches, that is where he is looking to shoot, to play people in, to create a moment to shoot or play a pass. It's the only time he is efficient. In Artetas system Pepe will never be central when he want to be. So it wouldn't surprise me if we end up selling him. If Arteta was presented with both Pepe and Zaha as signings he could make, I bet he wouldn't want either.

So is there a way around it? I'm not sure. Nothing Arteta would try in this moment anyway, bar a massive injury crisis. I reckon his best bet would be as a CF in a 2 or in the current system. Why? Well what does Arteta demand of his Cf? Pressing, tracking back, holding the ball, winning duels. All of those things before scoring. Can Pepe do those things? I'd say so. I'd say he would hold the ball better than Lacazete also. You can point to how many times he loses it when he faces someone up and just dallies, but how often does he lose it with a man up his arse?

He feels for the defender, creates distance between the ball and the defender and brings it under control. He doesn't back in and lean on the defender then try and break free taking 3 or 4 touches in the process. He rolls it with the sole of is foot, its Ronaldinho like. Could it work? Who knows. I think it's worth a try in the final Europa games at least.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

There was some valid criticism post game but it’s gone too far now.

Goal and assist performance and people are s still talking like it’s the worst performance of the season.

If Auba had an identical performance you would be very happy. Judge the performance not the player.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Okay so this is my take on the Arteta, Pepe situation. I feel that we need to look at what the manager wants and what Pepe actually is.

Arteta wants 5 channels of attack and defence, he wants consistency, he wants intelligent and choreographed movement. He wants patterns. We have scored identical goals. That's through practice. There is a way we play out from the back. Its regimented football. There is very little room for improvisation and flamboyance.

Come back to Pepe. He rolls the ball with the sole of his foot. He drops shoulders and feints. He has to do some kind of feint before he passes it when on the flank. In Arteta's eyes, that probably misses the moment a perfectly timed underlap occurs. Pepe ****s about too much on the ball when on the wing. Nelson is similar, but he releases it much quicker. Pepe is supremely arrogant in possession, he loses it half the time because he is doing something with the ball when nobody is even trying to tackle him.

So when is Pepe not like this? The only time when he doesn't **** about with the ball is on the edge of the box. That is where he takes minimal touches, that is where he is looking to shoot, to play people in, to create a moment to shoot or play a pass. It's the only time he is efficient. In Artetas system Pepe will never be central when he want to be. So it wouldn't surprise me if we end up selling him. If Arteta was presented with both Pepe and Zaha as signings he could make, I bet he wouldn't want either.

So is there a way around it? I'm not sure. Nothing Arteta would try in this moment anyway, bar a massive injury crisis. I reckon his best bet would be as a CF in a 2 or in the current system. Why? Well what does Arteta demand of his Cf? Pressing, tracking back, holding the ball, winning duels. All of those things before scoring. Can Pepe do those things? I'd say so. I'd say he would hold the ball better than Lacazete also. You can point to how many times he loses it when he faces someone up and just dallies, but how often does he lose it with a man up his arse?

He feels for the defender, creates distance between the ball and the defender and brings it under control. He doesn't back in and lean on the defender then try and break free taking 3 or 4 touches in the process. He rolls it with the sole of is foot, its Ronaldinho like. Could it work? Who knows. I think it's worth a try in the final Europa games at least.
Patterns of play, well rehearsed moves, this is what positional play is about.......

Guardiola’s teams have all that too. But it doesn’t mean that his attacking players’ talent are limited. Guardiola’s attacking players are all very skillful and always do skill moves. They are allowed to dribble past players, they just have to do it within the zone that they should occupy. Just look at mahrez/sane/sterling......

Last edited:

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Patterns of play, well rehearsed moves, this is what positional play is about.......

Guardiola’s teams have all that too. But it doesn’t mean that his attacking players’ talent are limited. Guardiola’s attacking players are all very skillful and always do skill moves. They are allowed to dribble past players, they just have to do it within the zone that they should occupy. Just look at mahrez/sane/sterling......

Mahrez wasn't used much in his first season. Probably due to not picking up the pattern play. Sterling's productivity improved over time, and Sane isn't at the club. Like I said. Pepe isn't like any of those players. They are fare more direct than him.

Moah

In simple words, Willian is ****.
Arteta wants Pepe to play like Willian.
Pepe is slowly turning to ****.

Moah

Why bother supporting Arsenal though. You have your ideal manager who is still in the game with City. You can just support them and fulfill your Tiki-Taka need, you don't have to fantasize it any longer.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Right mate, and how many performances did we get from Auba? Auba is the most useless player on the pitch if you take away his goals. He loses the ball half the time he tries to dribble or pass. We are all happy with him because of the goals, but he is not scoring this season at all.

So, do we have the same rules for all the players or some rules will apply to players like Özil and Pepe and other rules will apply to Auba and Willian?
By your logic, Auba/Willian should already be on the bench, because "Arteta is looking for performances", or you are just a hypocrite?

Comparing Pepe to Auba and Özil. :lol:

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Comparing Pepe to Auba and Özil. :lol:
The player name is not important here, I'm only questioning your logic. People without it usually go with the bully attitude like "Comparing Pepe to Auba", and you know it's rough when they put a smiley after it because Auba is a scary name and I'm not allowed to compare that name to other mortals.

It simply doesn't matter if his name is Auba, or whatever, you (and the manager) said that it's all about performances, even though Auba is not performing, Willian is not performing and from what I've heard from Arteta, everyone starts the season with a clean slate, right? I know, we're soon gonna switch to hard work on the training ground and Pepe is probably lazy or playing golf with Bale, right?

I'll go with the theory that Arteta brought Willian and he decided to leave Pepe out even before the season started, and he's gonna insist on that, but you're free to buy his cr*p about clean slate and performances

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Right mate, and how many performances did we get from Auba? Auba is the most useless player on the pitch if you take away his goals. He loses the ball half the time he tries to dribble or pass. We are all happy with him because of the goals, but he is not scoring this season at all.
He's been scoring consistently since arriving here, so the logic is you play him because he will likely score than not, even with all his other shortcomings.
Pepe is nowhere near that consistent when it comes to producing, so he's not guaranteed a start because he will likely lose the ball more than assist or score.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
He's been scoring consistently since arriving here, so the logic is you play him because he will likely score than not, even with all his other shortcomings.
Pepe is nowhere near that consistent when it comes to producing, so he's not guaranteed a start because he will likely lose the ball more than assist or score.
I don't have a problem with that, but the other guy is saying that goal and assist doesn't mean as much because it's the performance that counts

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
I don't have a problem with that, but the other guy is saying that goal and assist doesn't mean as much because it's the performance that counts
It's a bit of both, tbh. Ideally you want that, but it's not always going to happen.

You take what you can at the end of the day, but atm Pepe doesn't show that he can produce consistently in the PL if he's struggling against plumbers in the EL, so I can see why Arteta isn't convinced.

Mind you, he's also to blame for how we go forward, but it is what it is.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

Goal and assist performance and people are s still talking like it’s the worst performance of the season.

If Auba had an identical performance you would be very happy. Judge the performance not the player.

This.

Its hilarious actually. Auba can score two goals in a game without actually doing anything else and people will say hes the best player we've had since Henry.

Some people are so embarrassing on here. Not sure how they function in day to day life. Their mums probably wipe their backsides.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

I think end of the day, Pepe needs to do a lot more but so does Arteta really.

Our creative/flair players he hasn’t bothered with at all. Despite me liking the results the non negotiable football brings, it’s disappointing and a tad draining.

He needs to figure it out and not say stupid sh*t then start Willian every week.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think end of the day, Pepe needs to do a lot more but so does Arteta really.

Our creative/flair players he hasn’t bothered with at all. Despite me liking the results the non negotiable football brings, it’s disappointing and a tad draining.

He needs to figure it out and not say stupid sh*t then start Willian every week.

I think the Arteta point is a good one. We can moan about Pepe all we like, but when you think of the forward line, who is actually playing well?

Forget statistics. Just using your eyes. Who is doing the business. 8 out of 10 performances. It's just not there. Our best performers are Gabriel, Partey, Bellerin, Tierney, Elneny, Holding, Leno and Saka.

Auba - We already know when he isn't scoring, its minimal contribution. He isn't getting the shots.

Lacazette - he has few goals, but has missed key chances and looks spent at 70 minutes.

Nketiah - not really impressive in any area so far.

Willian - I don't think he is any more effective than Pepe and he is someone who is meant to fit the system.

It's just not working. So we can point the finger at Pepes price tag and his performance in midweek, but you have to look at the bigger picture also.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

I think the Arteta point is a good one. We can moan about Pepe all we like, but when you think of the forward line, who is actually playing well?
It’s not about Pepe.

When you marginalise your creative players you have to atleast have tried to make them work - or you have to make it make sense that’s all.

You are his biggest fan and I hsd to beg you not to give up on him in the mathday thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

The English codified the rules of football just as the French perfected wine. We don't often ask an English person to come over to make Bordeaux.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom