• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Petr Cech: Retiring at the end of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Don`t think anyone can argue against him being poor on the goal. Should either have come out a lot quicker or stayed on the line. That being said he`s mostly been good this season and we have far bigger problems than him in our squad. Still a shame though that Schezhny left because of him.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Don`t think anyone can argue against him being poor on the goal. Should either have come out a lot quicker or stayed on the line. That being said he`s mostly been good this season and we have far bigger problems than him in our squad. Still a shame though that Schezhny left because of him.
It's the only reason I resent cech right now. I honestly think Scez improved at Roma and has years ahead of him. A boyhood fan of the club I think we did him and ourselves a disservice.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️

Santos' goal against him when he was at Chelsea is a good indicator of some of Cech's weaknesses. Should've been wary at the beginning.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
De Gea concedes plenty at his near post as well. Besides, Cech put in some heroic performances in the CL that season.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Although I have given up hope of seeing Cech save a penalty in an Arsenal shirt, today he was pretty good against City. Yes maybe he could have done slightly better on the first goal but he made a few crucial saves to prevent City from running away with the game.
The third goal was offside so I won’t criticize him for that.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Although I have given up hope of seeing Cech save a penalty in an Arsenal shirt, today he was pretty good against City. Yes maybe he could have done slightly better on the first goal but he made a few crucial saves to prevent City from running away with the game.
Could have been much worse indeed. He always pulls amazing saves. He always has 2-3 crucial mistakes in him each game though. Also he is so easily pressured and his kicking is horrible.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
If he'd stood in the middle of the goal, he may have been abe to pick the ball up as it rolled off the post! Some good saves today,but I'd like an upgrade in the summer.

Aevi

Hale End FC
He did some good in this game, but he's to blame for us ever being on the back foot. He got a hand to the ball for the first goal and it went straight through, can't say I'm too pleased. That poor moment changed the game, we were chasing after that. The fact that he is yet to save a penalty as well (though Aguero made his unreachable) is infuriating as well.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Dunno, I thought he did very well, made some really good saves. The first goal came through Kos's legs too so it's very hard, the bigger issue is how De Bruyne found the space he did with a simple one-two because we all know what his shooting is like.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
He did some good in this game, but he's to blame for us ever being on the back foot. He got a hand to the ball for the first goal and it went straight through, can't say I'm too pleased. That poor moment changed the game, we were chasing after that. The fact that he is yet to save a penalty as well (though Aguero made his unreachable) is infuriating as well.
There's no doubt that overall he's an improvement on the run of post Lehmann dreck that preceded him but I think he should have been replaced this summer. I feel we should have brought Szczesny back and let Ospina go but perhaps he wasn't interested. At any rate this has not been the Petr Cech we had hoped to get and you can see why Chelsea were willing to move on. He's lost more than a step though obviously our porous defense relative to the Chelsea sides he featured in has exacerbated the problem.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
The fact that he is yet to save a penalty as well (though Aguero made his unreachable) is infuriating as well.
Not even worth mentioning then. I find it so odd how people keep bringing the penalty thing into it--even when they were virtually unsavable

Aevi

Hale End FC
Not even worth mentioning then. I find it so odd how people keep bringing the penalty thing into it--even when they were virtually unsavable
It's a reflection on his performance throughout the time he's been here, not that single game. He has definitely had some savable pens.

Think Cech has been good in his time here. But you can clearly see from the day one here that is not the player he used to be.

I really thought we were gonna give Szczesney huge contract this summer and have him as our number 1 and Cech number 2.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
This should be his last season with us. It was obvuous after his first season that he wasn't what he was. I don't think he has that aura of authority and excellence. There are few top GK's but we should be looking at Oblak and that kevel.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

We have loads of areas where we are lacking. Top quality goalkeeper would be nice but I don’t think it’s top of our to do list personally. I’m ok with Cech and Ospina for now.

Toast

Established Member
I still think we should've kept Szczesny and let him slug it out with Cech for the starting spot. By all accounts he's developed really well in Italy. Though in an interview last month Szczesny did suggest our goalkeeping troubles run far deeper than just player quality and he may have simply regressed again if we had brought him back.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“I think in general, the coaches in Italy are much more tactical, that’s just how the league works,” says Szczęsny. “Whether it was [Luciano] Spalletti at Roma or Max Allegri here, the preparation for the game is different to what I was used to in England. You work on the shape of the team for a particular match all week. At Arsenal you’d just prepare physically for it but here you watch film analysing a specific opponent before the game and afterwards we’ll watch again to see what worked and what didn’t.

“I enjoyed working with some great coaches at Arsenal, Roma and here, but the goalkeeping school in Italy is very different, it’s very technical and pays more attention to the details. It’s really made a difference for me because I started playing at a very young age with Arsenal and as you play you gain experience and that’s how you grow. But, honestly, I couldn’t say from a technical standpoint that I improved in any way from when I became first-choice at Arsenal until the day I left for Roma.

“However, in the two-and-a-half years since I came to Italy, I’ve improved massively which is thanks to the coaches and the way they work. It’s not about improving when you play, it’s every day in training you have to work on every aspect of your game and that’s something I’ve really enjoyed.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strong words. It makes me wonder whether Cech's decline is only due to age or if our rather relaxed attitude to preparation and training played a part as well.

Malky

Established Member
I'd rather we bin all our keepers in the summer, none look a high enough quality. Cech's past it, Ospina is as dodgy as Almunia and Martinez looks average, no chance he's a future number 1 here.
For all of our hope around the Cech signing, how it would add experience and calm to our backline - it's done none of that! Could even argue it's increased the level of panic we have as his distribution is very poor, as his hesitancy about coming off his line. Granted he's had some great games for us, but it's not at the consistent level of our rivals keepers ( Edison, De Gea, Lloris, Courtois)
There is so many better, younger keepers around Europe right now, it would be criminal if we don't have one of them playing for us next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

We live a society where everybody knows everything and it looks like it is a shame to say I don’t know

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom