• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Everton | 19/09/05

A

Anonymous

Didn't get to hear or see the game, last night, fate doesn't like me.
Glad to see that Arsenal won, and it was a pleasant surprise to have Campbell score twice!.. lol.. Our Defenders have scored more then our fit strikers..

I would have liked one of our strikers to score.. but can't argue with 2-0
Nice solid score, let's hope this is the true bounce-back.

And reyes set up both goals, good for him.

patrick42uk

Established Member
to be honest, i didnt think van persie had a good game. i felt that whenever he got the ball, he was doing too much with it. i'v seen him play some good one-touch stuff in our team and i think he is at his most effective doing that. for once, i felt bergkamp for van persie was a justified substitution.

Gooner_Girl

Good game good win, campbell should be in every game and players like him would help us score more from set pieces. Still one annoying thing that we are doing.... passing the ball too much!!! We could have won everton like 10-0, each time we passed the ball up towards the goal instead of someone having a shot they would keep doing it till an everton player gets it and as soon as we got the ball a repeat of that. That's what disappointed me last night, we need to shoot more not pass all the time. That hleb's good it' d be nice if he attempts to shoot once in a while eg last night. It soon got to the point i was yelling for someone to shoot when they had the chance. Another problem was with no one's ever in the box. Some players did great passes into the box but there's no one there to tap it in. We need to solve this problem yeah we won still by sorting out these problems we will be scoring more and more of a challenge for the title.

Ricky_AFC

patrick42uk said:
to be honest, i didnt think van persie had a good game. i felt that whenever he got the ball, he was doing too much with it. i'v seen him play some good one-touch stuff in our team and i think he is at his most effective doing that. for once, i felt bergkamp for van persie was a justified substitution.

Same here tbh

ccc

patrick42uk said:

i agreed with you that rvp hadn't reached his best yet. but it's not because of so called "one touch" stuff. that way didn't always work, especially since the beginning of this season. we should change tactic a little. I think rvp is losing his ability of ball control. he could do good dribble as he did in feyenoord, but now he lost ball easily so often. I'm wondering how comes like that, probably because wenger amphasized "one touch" and "passing" too much

weelip

ccc said:
patrick42uk said:

i agreed with you that rvp hadn't reached his best yet. but it's not because of so called "one touch" stuff. that way didn't always work, especially since the beginning of this season. we should change tactic a little. I think rvp is losing his ability of ball control. he could do good dribble as he did in feyenoord, but now he lost ball easily so often. I'm wondering how comes like that, probably because wenger amphasized "one touch" and "passing" too much

I guess it is probably due to the difference between the Dutch League and the English League. In the Dutch league, you probably got more time on the ball wheras in England, you are closed down faster.

Reyes seems to have this problem too. However, as can be seen from today's match, he seems to have evolved his game to better suit the English league. I believe RVP will do the same with more playing time.

jay-d

Established Member
patrick42uk said:

Not really because when Dennis came on we lost our shape. Dennis played as a midfielder while van Persie actually played a very disciplined role as a striker yesterday, he stayed down the middle high up the pitch. He did lose the ball a few times but there were certainly more positives than negatives in his performance, the way he played allowed us to have the width we got yesterday, these little things are very important and once Thierry is back i reckon we'll see him in the role Reyes played yesterday with Reyes replacing Pires on the left and RVP high up the middle. Well I hope anyway. This would work very well IMO and I cant wait for it to happen.

sabret00the

Established Member
Ricky_AFC said:
patrick42uk said:

Same here tbh
i'm not sure how you both arrive at that conclusion considering that when he came off we stopped attacking, i said before that his role is really understated and i repeat that again. what i will say as well though is that the tele never done him justice, he done the one touch stuff and also held up the ball when it needed to be done, he's not at his best but he's not having bad games, even sky sports voted him a seven.

jay-d

Established Member
Agreed, and as for those who say he has lost his dribbling ability did you not see the times he put players on their backsides last night?

sabret00the

Established Member
kept dipping that shoulder and making defenders look stupid, it's sad that unless he get's a goal people think he played like ****e :(

jay-d

Established Member
I just hope Wenger can see the benefit of having a techinically gifted player willing to stay up top down the middle, even if some fans can't.

sabret00the

Established Member
Well the whole tactics of yesterday were a breath of fresh air and i thought one of Wenger's best footballing moments for a few years, he finally understood that you can go around 4-5-1 and when you do that the opposition get's confused, i think he'll do it again and i hope we really stick with it for an extended period, a real striker and wide wingers.

my only gripe is that Robin drops back when the balls around the 6 yard box when i feel he should be in there. but that's normally where you'd find freddie/pires so if we do go with these new tactics he'll have to learn to shoulder that responsibility.

it's weird people didn't like his game, i thought he deserved a goal in all honesty.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
RvP does touch the ball a bit too much..and even he stated that(something about learning from Pires). Those 3 additional seconds are valuable at times. But I think he is improving in that area. The substitution was correct, a 2-0 lead requires a more exprienced team and bergy did provide that. The performance was solid and of course game was over by first half. I don't think we really changed much in regards to how we move forward, there is NO new tactic there. Freddie crossed a lot cos once he got going they were closing on him so he could not turn and bring back the ball so only option was to cross. He did well.

The Pires, Reyes,Cole combination is very good going forward. Just waiting for Hleb to also gel in.

What we have improved on and i mentioned this last week was our set pieces. We are looking dangerous at set pieces and kudos to the team. Sometimes set pieces are the only way to get a break against a 4-5-1 team.With Reyes in form you know he will be winning us a lot of those direct kicks.

sabret00the

Established Member
No new tactic and our wingers stuck to the sidelines? you sure about that?

Pires was good? even as part of a combination that wasn't the case in any which way at all, was glad he came off.

and RvP's one touch too many? what you talking about he ain't done that for a while, but in his decision making was a tad slow, though i doubt that has anything to do with waiting for someone to pass the ball to, especially being ahead of all the action :roll:

We broke down Everton in open play cause we played with width, that was for all to see with bright neon lights.

Army of Me

Established Member
yea, but let's not forget how poor everton were last night. if we play like that against the better teams (and bolton, who seem to have a knack of making us look crap!) then i'll agree with you.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
Watch the game again and check the number of unnecessary touches RvP makes before releasing the ball. BTW I think he is quality but am just expressing my observation of him.

Width factor? well i guess i missed something because i saw us doing the same but the only difference is we had more success in beating our guys on the flank and crossing the ball. But in open play we didn't break them that much and you have to remember we got our goals early..so they had t try to push up a little bit. That will expose any team. I am 100% the same would have happened with Boro.

arsenal05

i thought helb done brilliant last night you didnt see much of him but if you concentrate purely on him you can see him getting into space there were a few times he was in decent goal scoring positions but just seemed to be being marked to closely to take a pop!

anyway RVP deserved a goal perhaps a wee bit sloppy with 1 or 2 chances but overall he played brillaint!

Reyes- what got into him!!! im almost embarassed about saying he was rubbish!! :eek:ops: though then again maybe just a fluke!

and SOL fantastic what a come back for him!!!(almost as unexpected as cygan goals!)

the one bad thing was that i thought the defence wasn't playing to the best of their abilitys there were a few times when a simple ball would have had everton 1 on 1 with lehmann and who knows what could have happened!

overall though DEFFINATELY an improvement (though always space for more)

sorry if your reading this and thinking (stupid pestimistic f*****!!!)

the dawn raids

Established Member
a little suprised that Moyes was more concerned with keeping the defeceit at 2-0 rather than attacking and trying to get back into the game; not that i have a problem with that.

im really liking Hlebs contributions. its looking like the confidence is building, and id like to see him get a crack at a CM role in one of the upcoming matches and give cesc a day off to see how he gets on. id wish hed take a shot every now and then, but still, how he sees some of those passing lanes ill never know.

im slowly coming to the impression that the level of Hleb and van Persie contributions (or lack thereof) will be major deciding factors in how successful we are this campaign.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
arsenal05 said:
Reyes- what got into him!!! im almost embarassed about saying he was rubbish!! :eek:ops: though then again maybe just a fluke!

sorry if your reading this and thinking (stupid pestimistic f*****!!!)

I'm reading this and thinking you are definitely stupid. Reyes was one of our best players for the last two months of last season and, to anyone with a brain, has improved immeasurably this term. So, if you want to count the last four games as a fluke, go ahead..

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have got as much chance of being handed the title by Sp*rs as I have of being given the Crown Jewels. They are the last people we want winning the Championship. Now we mean to round off our season by beating Arsenal.

Alan Mullery (Sp*rs captain in 1971)

There is no way we were going to be beaten

Bertie Mee in the same game after beating Spurs and clinching the Double at White Hart Lane
Top Bottom