• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Blackburn Rovers vs Arsenal | 13/09/08

Anzac

Established Member
Re: Blackburn Rovers v Arsenal | 13-09-08 15:00 GMT

Decent away result against a team that can't defend at the moment - 8 goals conceeded by them in their last 2 outings. Good to see Ade on the score sheet with RVP (but offised again far too often), and Walcott followed up well after his international exploits.

IMO the scoreline & clean sheet don't exactly flatter us as we did dominate the game, but our defence in the hole & to airial balls into the area in just shyte IMO. We look to be playing a defensive pattern that relys upon scrambling cover as opposed to any real platform of solidity. Too often we got wrong side of the attackers or let the ball bounce - we had absolutely no clear presence for the initial ball in. I saw nothing today in our defence that would indicate that any of the issues have been rectified, and a better attack will punish us, and a better defence will not offer up so many opportunities.

And if you want to see how to cross a ball with variety just watch Emerton's performance - not perfect but miles better than anything any of our players can provide.

kel varnsen

Established Member

the biggest problems defensively, are not down to individual players, but rather tactical and positioning issues regarding our starting line up. when defending, our wingers stay out wide. i don't know why and this really is basic tactical knowledge, in a four man midfield, the wingers have to drift in when defending, but walcott and eboue don't. they stay out wide. throughout the entire match. regardless of whether we have the ball or not.

Dez

I'm a field hockey player so what I'm about to say comes from it rather than a football knowledge but I think its relevant kel.

If the wingers (who are key when setting up a defence) are out wide very simply then the opposition will be forced to play through the centre. Normally in hockey the wingers would allow the ball to reach the fullbacks and more easily win the ball back in wide areas in the middle two quarters of the field - pressing on that side and not allowing the play to switch.

My guess is Wenger thinks its easier to defend against teams when they have it in the center. Which is pretty unconventional.

Anzac

Established Member

It could be part of AW's tactic to nullify crossing opportunities for the opposition - block side lines forces them infield where our lack of height isn't so exposed unless via direct balls down the throat.

JazzG

Established Member

kel varnsen said:
the biggest problems defensively, are not down to individual players, but rather tactical and positioning issues regarding our starting line up. when defending, our wingers stay out wide. i don't know why and this really is basic tactical knowledge, in a four man midfield, the wingers have to drift in when defending, but walcott and eboue don't. they stay out wide. throughout the entire match. regardless of whether we have the ball or not.

Yup the basic problem of our defending isn't just down to the back four, defending starts from the strikers and down the goalkeepers and our midfield simply does not provide enough protection from our defence.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member

RocktheCasbah said:
Did Walcott not just run riot in one of the most imposing stadiums in Europe?

In any case, I'd argue that Ewood Park is no place for a clown like Eboue, but we'll see.

Don't normally quote myself, but...

Hmmm, one apparently puts in a man of the match performance, sets up our first goal and the other injures himself diving to win a penalty.

Told you he should play, didn't I? You can only protect a young talent for so long, sooner or later you will have to let him fly. Perhaps now is Theo's time.

(Cue dismal performance in midweek)

has this been taken??

RocktheCasbah said:
RocktheCasbah said:
Did Walcott not just run riot in one of the most imposing stadiums in Europe?

In any case, I'd argue that Ewood Park is no place for a clown like Eboue, but we'll see.

Don't normally quote myself, but...

Hmmm, one apparently puts in a man of the match performance, sets up our first goal and the other injures himself diving to win a penalty.

Told you he should play, didn't I? You can only protect a young talent for so long, sooner or later you will have to let him fly. Perhaps now is Theo's time.

(Cue dismal performance in midweek)

To be fair, that earlier post really doesn't deserve an 'I told you so'.

You were right about Walcott but Eboue also had a good game yesterday. He proved you completely wrong so I don't see why you are bringing it up.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member

Because he dived to win a penalty.

But fair enough, I did hear he had a good game, so credit where it's due. My point only ever was that Walcott should be starting games like yesterday's because he does have something to offer this team.

That's why I brought my original post up.

stuart

Established Member

Was absolutely shattered last night for some reason and somehow managed to see all of match of the day bar every second of the Arsenal highlights. Dont know how i managed it :lol: Ragin...

kel varnsen

Established Member

RocktheCasbah said:

But fair enough, I did hear he had a good game, so credit where it's due. My point only ever was that Walcott should be starting games like yesterday's because he does have something to offer this team.

That's why I brought my original post up.

eboue was ok. didn't really do anything out of the ordinary; neither good nor bad. i guess that is the best you could hope for.

True Gooner

Established Member

True Gooner said:
Alan Hansen eating his words regarding Walcott. ;D

Wanted to add -

Alan Hansen
"Traditionally, when Arsenal come to the north-west they have a bit of a nosebleed. Teams like Blackburn, Everton and Bolton get men behind the ball, get into them, stifle them and stop them playing" - Alan Hansen, Match of the Day.

Total number of goals scored by Arsenal last season in matches at Blackburn, Everton and Bolton: 13.

The Premiership Weekend Winners And Losers

****. :lol:

Legend#1

Established Member

Eboue was good and it was an easy penalty.

Leave the guy alone, jesus.

Josh23

RocktheCasbah said:

If you think that was a dive, you need to recalibrate your dive-sensors, I'm afraid.

Firstly, there was contact there. More than enough to bring him down. Watch the replays again (google arsenal vlog for links). Warnock catches him twice, once with his left knee under Eboue's left boot as it lands, once with his right leg onto the back of Eboue's right heel.

Secondly, even if (hypothetically) there was no contact because Eboue had managed to hurdle the challenge, if he stumbles on landing it's still a foul.

Give the poor bloke a chance.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member

I've seen the penalty incident a few times now on Arsenal TV, ok it was a penalty.

Anyway, it's incidental to my original point, but if it makes you all feel better here is a public apology to Emmanuel Eboue.

Am I forgiven now?

awooga83

Established Member

What are you apologising for, saying he had a bad game I mean he was ok but bar the penalty didn't do much and on looking at the penalty I thought it was a dive fair enough having seen it again there was minimal contact but ontact none the less still not sure he wasn't going down anyway but I guess its immaterial this time.

Josh23

RocktheCasbah said:
I've seen the penalty incident a few times now on Arsenal TV, ok it was a penalty.

Anyway, it's incidental to my original point, but if it makes you all feel better here is a public apology to Emmanuel Eboue.

Am I forgiven now?

No, of course not. Now we get to accuse you of inconsistency :)

GaelForce22

Established Member

True Gooner said:
True Gooner said:
Alan Hansen eating his words regarding Walcott. ;D

Wanted to add -

Alan Hansen
"Traditionally, when Arsenal come to the north-west they have a bit of a nosebleed. Teams like Blackburn, Everton and Bolton get men behind the ball, get into them, stifle them and stop them playing" - Alan Hansen, Match of the Day.

Total number of goals scored by Arsenal last season in matches at Blackburn, Everton and Bolton: 13.

The Premiership Weekend Winners And Losers

c**t. :lol:

:lol: Some people ay, I think he's still bitter about '89.

scruzgooner

just looked again at the play that led up to our second (ade's header).

denilson's pass to ade was the *27th* pass of the move. it started on the edge of our box, and i believe every arsenal player (bar almunia) touched the ball as it made its way up the right side, back around, inside, across, back, up, across, and in. blackburn did not come *close* to taking the ball during the 27 passes.

i LOVE arsenal football.

Anzac

Established Member

scruzgooner said:
just looked again at the play that led up to our second (ade's header).

denilson's pass to ade was the *27th* pass of the move. it started on the edge of our box, and i believe every arsenal player (bar almunia) touched the ball as it made its way up the right side, back around, inside, across, back, up, across, and in. blackburn did not come *close* to taking the ball during the 27 passes.

i LOVE arsenal football.

when it works like that.............as opposed to a call for off side :wink:

General

Established Member

Anyone notice a bit of Mascherano about Denilson?

Arsenal Quotes

What does Arsenal mean? It means class. The structure of the Club, everything has a classy feel about it. It isn't always about success, there is more than that and this is what makes it a cut above the rest.

Charlie Nicholas

Latest posts

Top Bottom