• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Middlesbrough vs Arsenal | 09/04/05

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 303
  • Views 9,647

brady

On Kolo and our fear of shooting

Agree that CB partnerships are important but individually the player must ooze confidence and take command. Kolo is nowhere near that kind of player. He's very good physically and fast but we notice that because he gets caught out positionally often and needs to sprint back or cut off the danger. Maybe he might still develop into one but frankly I doubt it. He always has a nervy edge in his game.

I thought the goal against Boro was a classic summary of the whole disastrous afternoon. First of all, inside a packed box, we were still trying to play cute one-twos. Why do we never shoot from outside the box? Since Parlour left, it has been rare (apart from Reyes who always seems to hit bodies, and Gilberto who always aims at Row Z) to see. Our cute passes in crowded areas are never going to come off and we got lucky with the deflection. Perversely it was the player who I had been screaming for almost the whole game to be substituted, who scored. Pires had a real stinker and if he expects a two-year extension, he needs his head examined.

asajoseph

Established Member
Actually, I sometimes feel that Reyes' shooting from outside the box is a whole lot better than his shooting from inside the box.

He needs to be more confident and forceful in his finishing...

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
Playing for ASEC in Africa is not the same as playing in the EPL let alone the CL. Yeah he is 23..but in all fairness his real professional football career just started last year. The football in Africa is just very very very different. Trust me. Not saying its weak, but just different. Emphasis is 100% on skills. The boy has some adjustments to make..and i think so far he has done a fantastic job.

The back four needs one excellent reader of the game. They can't all be reading the game..you need the footsoldiers.

All in all its way too early to make a call that Kolo can't cut it at CB!!!

A

Anonymous

kel varnsen said:
Kwame said:
I think Toure has all the qualities needed to be a world class CB-- Size,tackling, pace, quickness, heading ability, passing..

What he lacks now is simply experience and a little more composure. Experience will improve his reading of the game-- how better to use his natural talents for his gain against different kinds of forwards...

Toure hasn't had a consistent partner for the entire season, and he was also coming aginst hefty expectations. No, Toure can have a great future here as a CB partnering Sol and then Senderos-- if the latter can make it. It will be a shame if Toure's promise is denied an avenue of growth. I',m not really keen at this point on a Senderos/ Campbell partnership. I think pacy & quick forwards could cause a lot of problems for such a twosome.

for once i agree with you! :D

toure is a great footballer. he is just a bit "rough". he is a great defender one on one. senderos and toure is, imo, a great partnership.

Great call there, eh kel. let's hope their good play continues.

Arsenal Quotes

The only moment of possible happiness is the present. The past gives regrets. And future uncertainties. Man quickly realised this and created religion. It forgives him what he has done wrong in the past and tells him not to worry about the future, as you will go to paradise.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom