• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Middlesbrough vs Arsenal | 09/04/05

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 303
  • Views 9,645

kel varnsen

Established Member
Kwame said:
I think Toure has all the qualities needed to be a world class CB-- Size,tackling, pace, quickness, heading ability, passing..

What he lacks now is simply experience and a little more composure. Experience will improve his reading of the game-- how better to use his natural talents for his gain against different kinds of forwards...

Toure hasn't had a consistent partner for the entire season, and he was also coming aginst hefty expectations. No, Toure can have a great future here as a CB partnering Sol and then Senderos-- if the latter can make it. It will be a shame if Toure's promise is denied an avenue of growth. I',m not really keen at this point on a Senderos/ Campbell partnership. I think pacy & quick forwards could cause a lot of problems for such a twosome.

for once i agree with you! :D

toure is a great footballer. he is just a bit "rough". he is a great defender one on one. senderos and toure is, imo, a great partnership.

invisibleman18

Established Member
yeah true about the positional awareness. thing is, this is not so technical in that it does not heavily rely on natural ability whereas things he does have, such as pace and a bit of ball skills do. so this stuff can be taught, it can be learnt with good coaching and experience. it is obvious that he is majorly lacking of it at the moment, but i also wouldn't so far as to write him off by saying he will never have it. it can be learnt.

thugzclub

eddie_wills said:
Senderos did make one error which fortunately Hasselbaink could not capitalise on, but apart from that he played well. Good though he's been, he has made a few mistakes in matches (Sheff Utd home and away, Bayern Munich home) which he's been lucky that the opposition haven't taken advantage of. It was the same with Almunia first few games - he was making mistakes but getting away with them. I don't want to put a downer on things, but bear this in mind

Credit to Toure today, he was my man of the match and generally excellent - easy to forget his contribution with Big Phil's rise to prominence

I mean you guys have to realise that Senderos is only 19/20!!!!!. There aren't that many central defender that are playing for a champions leage club. He is realy very very good for his age. But will make mistakes becasue of his age.

Monne

well we were also lucky that lauren didn't get sent of in the very beginning
it was an absolute disgrace

asajoseph

Established Member
I'm not so convinced that positional awareness is something that can be taught. I've played a lot as a central defender, and coached people to do it, and I've seen players who are poor in all other skill areas excel as a central defender, whilst other excellent players fail, just because it's a unique skill that isn't required by any other position on the pitch (although can be useful).

My view is that positional sense for a CB, like all other skills, can be taught to an extent, but requires a huge amount of vision, a quick brain to process the situation, and the speed of thought to ensure that you're in the right place at the right time. I just don't think Kolo has the ability to do this, despite posessing the other skills required to be a good footballer (i.e. pace, technique, strength etc.)

RockyRocastle

Established Member
One of the worst matches I have ever seen yesterday, Boro were terrible and we werent much better.

First half the only guy putting in effort was Reyes. Again he lacked the final ball but at least he was trying to make things happen.

Henry played the game in 2 nd gear. Didnt look like he could be bothered. Every time he got the ball he slowed us down to walking pace.

Senderos played very well but again he is prone to making one or two huge mistakes every game.

tbbosa

We need to thank our two loanees, for the results against our main two rivals.

1. Jermaine Pennant supplied the free kick that led to Walter Pandiani's shock goal for Birmingham. Pennant was Man of the match!!
2. David Bentley delivered a perfectly-flighted free-kick into Ashton's airspace, from which the Norwich goal came.

May be we need these two guys back!!!

sabret00the

Established Member
Zepp said:
For all of the praise Senderos gets on this forum and others - he gave the ball away dangerously on a number of occasions today and its not the first time its happened.

He also looked particularly slow when he lost the ball on 1 or 2 occasions. Kolo on the other hand is rapid and played well today :thup:
it's not really easy to reply to this, imo opinion everyone gave away the ball stupidly yesterday and tbh with you our passing game has been lost this season, we've all been seriously sloppy. however the thing is that Senderos bring leadership to our back line along with height and while he's obviously got aspects of his game he needs to REALLY improve, i'd rather him there than any other fit centre back we have at the moment (due to Campbell not playing i'm assuming he's not match fit). his distribution will improve but only with games. where as you see people like henry and vieira give away just as sloppy a ball this late in their careers theirs really no excuse, be patient, it's his first season at such a big club. his biggest attribute right now is presence, he provides us with some Ivan Drago-ness, defenders look at him and get a shudder, they hear whispers of "if he dies, he dies" :lol:

sabret00the

Established Member
tbbosa said:

1. Jermaine Pennant supplied the free kick that led to Walter Pandiani's shock goal for Birmingham. Pennant was Man of the match!!
2. David Bentley delivered a perfectly-flighted free-kick into Ashton's airspace, from which the Norwich goal came.

talking of Wingers, i think Cesc had a terrible game out on the right wing, i think we really need to sort that out, it's quite laughable that our wing depth is what it is.

sabret00the

Established Member
Kwame said:
I think Toure has all the qualities needed to be a world class CB-- Size,tackling, pace, quickness, heading ability, passing..
let's not forget how potential world class he looked when he headered the ball out of his own keepers hands just before half time ;)

this has to of been our worst game of the season :lol:

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
tbbosa said:

Not to mention it was Matty Upson who headed Pennant's free kick back for Pandiani...

A

Anonymous

joseph:

I also can't think of a single world class CB who had the level of positional awareness needed to excel at the top level after only one full season playing his position in the top flight.

Nesta and Maldini weren't gifted positional awareness. They learnt it. And Toure is positionally aware, although not where he needs to be. That will come with experience. At this stage, his exuberance is at once one of his greatest advantages and faults. He gets caught out of position because of his bubbling enthusiasm. Failure, experience and maturity will ground his game and his emotion. He"ll become pragmatic. He could become a copy of the old Thuram. And the only other defender I thought was better than Thuram within the past 2 decades was probably Hierro.

asajoseph

Established Member
Kolo is 23, and as far as I know, has not missed any significant part of his career through injury. He's young, but not THAT young.

Compare him to the young Philipe Senderos - he's 20 and has missed majority of the last two years through injury, and evidently is far more positionally aware than Kolo.

John Terry, only a few months older than Kolo is positionally streets ahead.

Experience evidently helps significantly, and that only comes with age, however a certain amount of initial talent is required e.g. vision. I honestly think Kolo lacks the natural vision, and awareness of of play going on around him to play as a CB at the top level, or EVER get to the level of Maldini or Nesta. Kolo has the skills to be a good footballer, but evidently does NOT have the skills to be a good CB, nor are there signs that he might develop this positional awareness over time (as one sees in the likes of Senderos).

patrick42uk

Established Member
i think its about if you feel a defender can make it when, predominatly, his main attributes are physical. the defender toure reminds me of the most his thuram, because his style involves physically dominating opposition strikers with pace and strength. but then, thuram has his weaknesses. last night, i saw juve fiorentina where thurm was positionally at fault on two set-pieces which led to fiorentina goals. i think its a price you pay when you heavily rely on being physical. the point is though, it hasnt stopped thuram being recognised as one of the top cbs.

i feel also the partnership is important. mobile defenders like thuram and toure and even cavarlho and stam for instance are best paired with defenders who whilst perharps lacking in the mobility department, bring other defensive qualities to the team. particularly in terms of organisation.

it cant be escaped though that positional awareness is important, and i feel this can be taught more so than natural physical qualities. perharps (and i emphasise that word) toure lacks it now, but how long has he played at the top level? he's learning and will improve. many already accept he has proved himself at this level by doing very well for a FULL season in the league. i think its difficult to pass judgement on toure's general level of intelligence because i dont think he gives enough in his interviews for that. he comes across as humble and his background is humble, but that doesnt make you thick. i also agree with kwame that toures' supposed glaring deficiency could be due to his enthusiasm, something which can be curbed with morre experience.

the tag of being positionally aware seems like its being thrown around with ease. how many games as senderos played? and we can decide based on this he is positionally aware? didnt look like it to me watcing france switzerland.

asajoseph

Established Member
Great post Patrick... A few points though...

I definitely agree 100% partnerships are the key to succesful defending - Kolo defeinitely benefitted from having Sol next to him last season (although I wouldn't say this was the ONLY reason he did well), and has looked far weaker without him this year. As I've said many times before though, I don't know how much longer we can carry a CB that only plays well with one, injury prone partner, before he has to learn to stand up on his own. As good as Sol and Kolo are together, I don't think we can compete at the top level relying so heavily on the fitness of one player.

I guess the only way to find out whether or not Kolo will develop the skills required are to wait and see. I don't think he's going anywhere, so I guess we'll find out soon enough. My feeling is that he won't, although I'd love to be wrong.

i think its difficult to pass judgement on toure's general level of intelligence because i dont think he gives enough in his interviews for that. he comes across as humble and his background is humble, but that doesnt make you thick.
I certainly hope you didn't think I was implying that Kolo was thick, just because he wasn't positionally aware. As I've pointed out before, tactical awareness requires a unique set of skills, and I certainly don't believe it correlates to IQ. Vision, decision making and instinct are all important.

KingReyes

Established Member
asajoseph said:
Kolo is 23, and as far as I know, has not missed any significant part of his career through injury. He's young, but not THAT young.

Compare him to the young Philipe Senderos - he's 20 and has missed majority of the last two years through injury, and evidently is far more positionally aware than Kolo.

John Terry, only a few months older than Kolo is positionally streets ahead.

But you have to understand also Asa that John Terry was brought through the ranks as a defender Ever since he joined Chelsea he has learnt everything that needs to be done to become a defender. Also Terry has been a regualr for Chelsea for 3-4 seasons now. Compared to Kolo and thats something else, Kolo has only become a regular CB for one and a half seasons and during his younger days he was put everywhere on the pitch and never one particular position like Terry was during his days through the Chelsea ranks. I feel Kolo has potential, Patrick42Uk has made some good points about Kolo's pace and power which is very good and with the added experience he'll improve his awareness as defender. Kolo's had an up and down season, i agree it seems that he's another player when Sol is on the pitch but he's lost confidence and once he regains that he like any other player will improve his performances.

Baxrus

we win on a bad day.
We had control most of the game, but we didnt produce enough big chances.
Important Pires goal, as Chelsea were drawing, and United losing :)

asajoseph

Established Member
Actually King, I was under the impression that Kolo was a Centre Back for his former club, Asec Mimosas, although I might be wrong. He was moved around in his first season at Arsenal however

Whilst obviously you're not going to learn as much at Asec Mimosas as you are at Arsenal, this would mean that the position is not completely new to him.

On the other hand, if I am wrong, and he wasn't a regular CB at his former club, I STILL don't see how this can be an advantage - teaching a 23 year old, despite his footballing talent, to play in a position that some have been learning for 15 years at least before Kolo even began, to a standard of a player capable of winning the Champions League does seem like a long shot. He certainly has to improve, of that there is no doubt.

Arsenal Quotes

You are loved when you’re born, you’re loved when you die, and in between you have to manage

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom