• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Newcastle vs Arsenal, Sat 05th Feb, 15:00, ATVO

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Yes I saw that , interesting he thinks Barton was in control as that would in my opinion make it with intent to hurt and a red card . The angle which he comes in is dangerous , we have had players carded for the same thing - there is no consistency .

Was Barton Motm ? because he deserved it , got Diaby sent off , won the free-kick against Rosicky that led to the goal with the a beautiful dive - waiting for Xavi to come out and say "Barton has Barca DNA"

Smartly Dressed Morris

Apparently Phil Dowd officiated Sunderland 1-1 Arsenal(after allowing a goal after stoppage time), Arsenal 2-3 Sp**s, Wigan 3-2 Arsenal, and now the 4-4 against newcastle.

Just a coincidence of course....

ThaSaltCracka

AnthonyG said:
ThaSaltCracka said:
Another forum I post on, someone mentioned that Rosicky missed a pen in the Sunderland game, which eventually ended in a draw. The ref? Phil Dowd. hmmmmmm....
Yeah - we have similar ****** here too. Probably the same ******.
:p

To be fair to him, he did include the x-files music in his post. :D

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Smartly Dressed Morris said:
Apparently Phil Dowd officiated Sunderland 1-1 Arsenal(after allowing a goal after stoppage time), Arsenal 2-3 Sp**s, Wigan 3-2 Arsenal, and now the 4-4 against newcastle.

Just a coincidence of course....
I've seen this list a few times now and am curious. The list has obviously come from somewhere, but:

- our horrific 3-2 loss to Wigan last season was Mason
- our 2-2 draw this season was Probert
- our WBA (another 'W' team) 2-3 loss was Oliver

Can't figure out what game it's supposed to be, unless I've made an error or missed something.

-vapour-

Not sure anthony but upon researching it for myself I found this:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/arsenal-2-wigan-athletic-1-jewell-savages-referee-dowd-as-worst-in-league-436053.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 36053.html</a>

Perhaps Jewell was right after all...

bertlb2

France state TV is reporting that an investigation is going on. They shouldn't claim such a thing if they don't have anything to back it up.

-vapour-

According to this the only other game he has referee'd involving us this season is the Leeds 1-1 game.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.soccerbase.com/referees/referee.sd?referee_id=239" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.soccerbase.com/referees/refe ... ree_id=239</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the two he referee'd last season were both won by us.

Clearly just bullshit made up by someone to create an argument against him. I'm not excusing Dowd for the officiating yesterday though.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
-vapour- said:
According to this the only other game he has referee'd involving us this season is the Leeds 1-1 game.
You're looking at 2011, not 10/11. According to that site he's officiated Sunderland 1 - 1 Arsenal, Arsenal 2 - 3 Tottenham, Arsenal 1 - 1 Leeds and Newcastle 4 - 4 Arsenal this season.

I don't think it proves anything either though. He was brilliant in those other games compared to yesterday.

bertlb2 said:
France state TV is reporting that an investigation is going on. They shouldn't claim such a thing if they don't have anything to back it up.
Did they mention Dowd or was it just the Rosicky thing?

-vapour-

I wasn't Klaus. Think you misunderstood my post (other meant the other games excluding the supposed Wigan one) but never mind the facts remain the same. :)

banduan

Established Member
It's all crazy talk. Rosicky was indeed one of the main reasons we conceded but not the only reason.

Also, the talk about Barton's challenge on Diaby which led to the red is a bit OTT. I've watched the replays again and again. It was not a horrific challenge, at most a yellow, if not just a plain foul. Studs showing? He was leading in with one foot, studs down.

His foul on the end of first half was much worse and deserved a yellow.

1. The first factor was definitely Dowd being a homer. I don't think he's particularly crooked, just crumbles against the crowd. It's not the big decisions- they balanced out in the end. But the little ones. The tackles Newcastle got away with and the really soft decisions against us.

2. Squillaci. The moment he came on our defence became a panicky mess. He seems to have zero reading of the game.

3. Rosicky. He was supposed to come on and take over from tiring Shava's defensive duties. He's a better defender than Shava. Yet he failed oh so spectacularly. He was lucky not to have been the cause of a 2nd goal when he spoilt our offside trap by walking back. Idiocy.

4. Diaby sending off needs no further discussion. Unprofessional.

5. We did not attack intelligently- not until they were level when suddenly, RVP was released countless times- albeit a little offside. We caught them out with the long ball so often in the first half, why didn't we do it again? Because we felt that we needed to keep possession. Well, that game plan went to pot with Diaby leaving the pitch, and we needed to adapt.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I guess its only me then wondering why Diaby got sent off , I thought a yellow would suffice very harmless really , no one was touched on the face , no punches or a head butt. THAT was soft in my opinion oh and what a hospital ball by squillaci .

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
celestis said:
I guess its only me then wondering why Diaby got sent off , I thought a yellow would suffice very harmless really , no one was touched on the face , no punches or a head butt. THAT was soft in my opinion oh and what a hospital ball by squillaci .
I don't mind that Diaby got sent-off for what he did, but Barton needed to get equal treatment. Yellow/yellow or red/red. Hell, even a yellow for Barton and a red for Diaby would have gone some way to alleviating my concerns over how Dowd reffed, or did not ref, this game.

I'm stunned that some sections of the media and some here don't think Barton's tackle was terrible and reckless. Why not? Because his lunging studs went between Diaby's legs? Because his knees that clattered into Diaby's shank didn't break it? That's not how it works.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

No I agree , Barton should have got some sort of punishment for the tackle , pretty sure it doesn't matter if you get the ball or not if you tackle dangerously and it was dangerous .

Funnily enough the Slater and Bosnich are of that view as well .

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Worse thing about it is if Dowd books Barton , Diaby doesn't try and exact his own justice .

TheCMT

Established Member
AnthonyG said:
I'm stunned that some sections of the media and some here don't think Barton's tackle was terrible and reckless. Why not? Because his lunging studs went between Diaby's legs? Because his knees that clattered into Diaby's shank didn't break it? That's not how it works.

Many are saying the tackle was legitimate. It wasnt, if people think he just got the ball so it was fair challenge then I am sorry they are wrong. The challenge was potential leg breaker. English media might call it a soft red card but I have seen Red Cards for similar tackles in different league categorized under Dangerous play.

jerome2158

Established Member
AnthonyG said:
jerome2158 said:
Curious coincidence with the sunderland game though.
You're kidding right? Please tell me you're kidding.

Oh no i'm not at all convinced that tomas or anyone was up to anything.

I actually was more referring to the fact that dowd was the one reffing 2 matches we blew in the final minutes.

Herbas

I don't think that we can be hard on Rosicky for that (non)-offside goal. He was just marking his direct opponent (not "lazily jogging back"). Actually, he covered Clichy well in his area. I really don't think that attacking players are used to think about making offside trap.

Arsenal Quotes

I always wanted to play in English football and Arsenal and Highbury IS English football to me.

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom