• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player ratings and post-match discussion vs Fulham

Man of the match was:

• Samir Nasri

Votes: 80 100.0%
  • Other (state in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

outlaw_member

Established Member
Armor for Sleep said:
lol, as if we needed confirmation. This is all on Wenger - I doubt Song himself is one bit happy with the change either, contrary to some on here who throw out the "stop thinking you're Zidane" rubbish. He's being asked to play in a role he doesn't have the atrributes for.

If Wenger wants to play midfielders high up the pitch, then why didn't we stick with our 4-3-3 of last year with Song as the holding midfielder and two pressing CM's rather than this current shambles. Another change to appease Fabregas perhaps?

I'm surprised that people actually thought that Song had taken it upon himself to play higher up the pitch. The extent to which he goes forward is largely down to him, but Wenger's just confirming the obvious, which is that he had given Song the licence and instructions to do so.

AshburtonGhost

Nothing wrong with that Shue, although I think most of the concerns around here pertain to our CM's play during offensive phases of the game.

outlaw_member

Established Member
He doesn't perform as an AM, though. He often wanders into that area, but it's not unusual for someone with a proactive role to find himself there. Like I've said on a number of occasions, the old Gattuso would often find himself pressing the opposition defenders right alongside his fellow attackers. The issue is that Song shouldn't view his new found freedom as an opportunity to offer in the productive sense. This is the problem with not having midfielders who relish the defensive side of the game. You can't weed out what comes natural to a player, and all of our midfielders love to attack. I just hope Wenger doesn't have any plans on a Cesc-Ramsey-Wilshere midfield.

Anzac

Established Member
Shue said:
Being told to press high up the pitch does not equate to play like an AM in my book.

But that's not what he said either about Song's role - just that he (AW) has pushed the CMs higher into the opposition half.

Song is more B2B than AM because of the overlapping runs into the area.

ricky1985

Established Member
Anzac said:
ricky1985 said:
Ramsey-Wilshere-Fabregas could be a thing of beauty!

Who would play as the deep playmaker?
I'd have them as a pretty flat 3, perhaps Fabregas slightly advanced, but with them forming a tight, cohesive unit that could switch roles and positions seamlessly.

That would take a great understanding between them and great decision making/game understanding, I don't think those 3 would struggle in the slightest though.

ricky1985

Established Member
Ramsey will be every bit as capable as Song defensively, in my opinion. Jack will only get better in that department too.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
ricky1985 said:
Anzac said:
ricky1985 said:
Ramsey-Wilshere-Fabregas could be a thing of beauty!

Who would play as the deep playmaker?
I'd have them as a pretty flat 3, perhaps Fabregas slightly advanced, but with them forming a tight, cohesive unit that could switch roles and positions seamlessly.

That would take a great understanding between them and great decision making/game understanding, I don't think those 3 would struggle in the slightest though.

That midfield three would be steamrolled in the EPL. Nice footballers but all basically attacking minded.

redanddread

ricky1985 said:
Ramsey will be every bit as capable as Song defensively, in my opinion. Jack will only get better in that department too.

I know it is your opinion but on what evidence to date do you make this assumption.

brady_style

redanddread said:
ricky1985 said:

I know it is your opinion but on what evidence to date do you make this assumption.

I think Ramsey could also be a very capable DM for us.

He loves to tackle and he has real aggression in his game. He has a fantastic motor and covers huge ground during games.

In this regard he reminds me of a young Roy Keane. I remember Keane at Nottingham Forest and he was a very attack minded CM. His role was to get 15 goals or more a season.

In fact when he first came to United he said that his goal was to score 20 goals in his first season. I think he got 14 or so in the end.

He became a deep lying, playmaking DM only later in his career.

I think Ramsey has similar attribute. But this is just pure speculation.

ricky1985

Established Member
redanddread said:
ricky1985 said:

He's 6 foot tall, quick, can run all day long, very hard to bypass one-on-one; something I've always liked about him since he first joined the club, and has a GREAT understanding of the game; where to move, who to close down, switched on when players run off him, etc.

Very similar to Jack, who is without doubt an offensively minded player too, but he understands the game and knows where to put himself to intercept passes, pressurise the right man at the right time, double up on the fullback, when to dive in and when to stay on his feet. And they are both fearsome competitors, who love a tackle and won't lose a 50/50 very often.

redanddread

Ramsey would make that ideal box-to-box midfielder and Jack is earmarked for a place further upfield in a more attacking role. I still think they would need a bigger, more defensively minded person to play in the 3 man midfield. No doubt Jack is getting an education in the more defensive side of the midfield at present. Both he and Aaron represent real quality for the future of the Arsenal midfield though. Ramsey could be our Busquets maybe. Still think we would need some more beef in the middle though.

Is Ramsey really 6ft??

yuvken

Established Member
I actually could see the 3 musketeers implementing what now seems to be asking a lot from song. I agree with those who think Song has better defensive attributes (naturally), but what it takes to play the 2 holding CMs (good technical level, good all around game, fast thinking, stamina + no fear attitude) we do now - they should be superior. On paper.
I think the hunch about 3 super players (without an obvious ego issue to cloud the possibility) being very able to create a solid interchanging unit is not just wishful thinking (though it does sound suspiciously Arsenic), but the worry about the lack of "bodies" there will always exist. On the other hand, it's as close an opportunity we might have in the visible future to emulate the much waxed Barca mid (not exactly giants; basucally high technical level). That, of course, as long as cesc himself doesn't join the prototype.

Shue

Established Member
brady_style said:
In this regard he reminds me of a young Roy Keane. I remember Keane at Nottingham Forest and he was a very attack minded CM. His role was to get 15 goals or more a season.

In fact when he first came to United he said that his goal was to score 20 goals in his first season. I think he got 14 or so in the end.

He became a deep lying, playmaking DM only later in his career.

I think Ramsey has similar attribute. But this is just pure speculation.
Totally agree, as does my brother, a Forest fan who watched Keane regularly there.

Keane only reverted to the DM role after injury slightly hampered his athleticism and pace.

And yeah, according to wiki he's 6'

Arsenal Quotes

I believe one of the best things about managing people is that we can influence lives in a positive way. That’s basically what a manager is about. When I can do that, I am very happy.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom