• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Arsenal vs Derby County | 22/09/07

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
disagree. if the player did nothing wrong, BUT also nothing magical, he would be an average 6

giuliob

Biggus said:
mags said:
Gee, the logic around here amazes me.....Who belittled anything? Some of you have turned into third rate spin masters......As I said, long live Ade.....

You did. You belittled the opposition. Sure Derby are not in our class but they are a PL club, I'm sure they will be relegated, but so will Birmingham, and Liverpool didn't repeat their heroics there. And you gave Ade a 7.5. What does someone have to get a 9 or a 10? your standards are unrealistically high.
I didn't belittle the performance.....I did say that some people thought that Derby was the worse team ever promoted....Arsenal's performance was outstanding against a weak opponent.....That is not belittling anything.....In any case, after rereading this post, I think the discussion really points to the need for some stated ground rules regarding the the rating system itself........MDGoonah stated from the beginning that there would be problems with the 1-10....He was promoting 1-5.....And I can see the merit in both.....

Juicy

hesham said:
USArsenal said:
a 10 to me means the player did nothing wrong in the entire match...

Agreed
Julio Baptista missed a penalty against Liverpool at Anfield in the Carling Cup, but he surely would get a 10. I think ratings are completely relative. As long as everyone individually gives everyone the same scale for individual games, the year rating system will work.
Some people's highest rating possible is a 9, others will give 10s out like candy, but as long as people stay consistent with their ratings within individual games, there will be no bias (except that players played against easier teams might have slightly higher ratings at the end of the season)

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
sashakal said:
hesham said:
USArsenal said:
a 10 to me means the player did nothing wrong in the entire match...

Agreed
Julio Baptista missed a penalty against Liverpool at Anfield in the Carling Cup, but he surely would get a 10. I think ratings are completely relative. As long as everyone individually gives everyone the same scale for individual games, the year rating system will work.
Some people's highest rating possible is a 9, others will give 10s out like candy, but as long as people stay consistent with their ratings within individual games, there will be no bias (except that players played against easier teams might have slightly higher ratings at the end of the season)

actually, no, i wouldnt have given him a 10.. i would have given him a 9 or 9.5.. (he did other stuff wrong in that match, so probably a 9)...

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
arsenal_hleb said:
disagree. if the player did nothing wrong, BUT also nothing magical, he would be an average 6
if they did their job to perfection (i.e. nothing wrong), then that would be something special...

edit - the only position that would get a 6 or 7 rating for having a match that they did nothing wrond but also nothing "special" would be a keeper.... if they were not really involved in the match, it's harder to give a better rating...

outfield players who are directly involved with the match for the ENTIRE match need to be perfect in order to get a 10.. and that includes contributing to our offfence AND defence... (which is their jobs in our current system)

Feanor

Established Member
Almunia - 6: didn't have to do anything

Sagna - 7: solid

Toure - 8: Captain Kolo, another solid display and a lot of energy. Wish he had scored on the header

Senderos - 7: did fine, wasn't really tested

Clichy - 7: solid

Walcott - 5: just doesn't fit this team right now, the future is bright

Flamini - 8: good performance, would still prefer Bert back.

Fabregas - 9: 1 great assist, 1 great goal. The next platini.

Diaby: 8 - good goal, owned the left side for most of the game.

Eduardo: 7 - a couple of good runs, good header.

Adebayor: 10 - hat trick, enough said.

Denilson: 8 - good assist on Ade's 3rd.

Diarra: 7 - showed some good ball skills.

Song: 6 - ...did he actually touch the ball?

How people can argue that Ade should get a 9 or 9.5 instead of a 10 is beyond me. And no a 10 does not mean he made no mistakes, he just means he had as good as a game as you can as a forward. Get off your ****ing high perches people, how many ****ing goals have you scored in the EPL?

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
Feanor said:
How people can argue that Ade should get a 9 or 9.5 instead of a 10 is beyond me. And no a 10 does not mean he made no mistakes, he just means he had as good as a game as you can as a forward. Get off your f****g high perches people, how many f****g goals have you scored in the EPL?

this is a little bit uncalled for...

you have your way of rating, the rest of us have ours.. to me, 10 means perfect game.. it doesnt mean that he scored 3 goals, so he was perfect.. he wasnt... he was very very good.. but not perfect... he missed an easy chance and made some bad passes.. therefore, not perfect... again, very good, excellent, but not perfect....

it is hugely irrelevant how many goals anyone else has scored in the PL. i also don't get paid $2 million a year to play there...

No.8_Wright

Feanor said:
How people can argue that Ade should get a 9 or 9.5 instead of a 10 is beyond me. And no a 10 does not mean he made no mistakes, he just means he had as good as a game as you can as a forward. Get off your f****g high perches people, how many f****g goals have you scored in the EPL?

Seemed like a very normal post and then you just went abit mental!

I would definately give Adebayor a 9, I'm sure alot of people would have given the guy a 10 if his hat trick came against a higher class opposition, although I suppose you can only beat what is in front of you!

hesham

Established Member
wow.. calm down..
its just a way of rating a score.
I wouldnt give a ten because 10 means absolutly fautless which hardly happens and at the same time i wouldnt give a Zero bucause there is atleast some kind of effort being made.

dutchMasta

Feanor said:
No he didn't, he scoffed two other chances. In a game where say, we had conceded 4 goals, and were 4-3 down, it would've mattered more. People would've probably given him a **** rating for missing those two.

What has us scoring goals in the EPL got to do with rating their performances?

I don't get why the people who gave him 10 are the only ones so bothered by this. People who gave him less don't have to defend themselves, there are different ways of using the 1-10 scale, some give 10's out easily, some only reserve them for the most extreme cases, and scoring 3 goals, 1 peno, out of 5 chances, against a poor side, isn't a most extreme case imo. Changing the scale to 1-5, or 1-20, etc. will bring other arguments, there's no perfect scale, since everyone's interpretation will be different.

That's why MDGoonah doing the averages is a great thing, it'll give a less biased rating, somewhat balancing out people who give out 10's easily, and people who give harsh ratings. Just accept it and some being a little *****, jesus, reminds me of all those f*cks on imdb complaining about films not deserving to be in the top 250 list.

Feanor

Established Member
hesham said:
wow.. calm down..
I wouldnt give a ten because 10 means absolutly fautless which hardly happens and at the same time i wouldnt give a Zero bucause there is atleast some kind of effort being made.

OK, I should not have used the F-word but I think you guys are wrong to think that a 10 implies perfection, no such thing. Perfection is something you strive for but can never achieve. A 10 in this context should mean that the player had an awesome day and he was the best player on the pitch, I think it's hard to argue against Ade having an awesome day and being the best player on the pitch. He was a beast. I think people who make claims like "a 10 means he made no mistakes" have probably not played a lot of competitive football. For Ade to have the kind of day he had and then have a bunch of "dorks" on the internet say he wasn't perfect, come on! I just get a litte ticked off by armchair judges. You and the other guys are right to be ticked off at my words, my bad, we're all Arsenal Fans here and entitled to our opinions.

dutchMasta

Feanor said:
OK, I should not have used the F-word but I think you guys are wrong to think that a 10 implies perfection, no such thing. Perfection is something you strive for but can never achieve. A 10 in this context should mean that the player had an awesome day and he was the best player on the pitch, I think it's hard to argue against Ade having an awesome day and being the best player on the pitch. He was a beast. I think people who make claims like "a 10 means he made no mistakes" have probably not played a lot of competitive football. For Ade to have the kind of day he had and then have a bunch of "dorks" on the internet say he wasn't perfect, come on! I just get a litte ticked off by armchair judges. You and the other guys are right to be ticked off at my words, my bad, we're all Arsenal Fans here and entitled to our opinions.
I can understand you getting annoyed, since it seems like some of us will never give a 10, meaning never giving the credit you think he deserves. IMO, perfect game means putting ALL your chances away, and doing the right thing at all the critical moments during a game. Stray passes, fouls, getting tackled (for a striker anyway, as long as they don't lead to direct goals), don't detract away from that at all.

Still might be a bit harsh, but I don't think you can really complain for a 9/10 rating. If it's something ridiculous like a 6, then ok, but at least most if not all agree with each other in something like a) Ade and Fabregas were the two best players b) Walcott had poor final balls c) Rest were good. etc.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
Feanor said:
I think people who make claims like "a 10 means he made no mistakes" have probably not played a lot of competitive football.

see, that's where you are making assumptions that you shouldnt necessarily be making... i actually played for 18 years, including college...

"best player on the pitch" doesnt mean it was "10" performance... it just means he garners a higher rating than everyone else (which he did from me - he got a 9)

look, you can rate however you want to rate.. knocking others for rating what THEY rate is not necessary.. (unless it is exorbitantly LOW - like Mags giving Ade a 7.5 rating)..... people who give him an 8.5 or a 9 are obviously saying that he played quite well.. just not "perfect".. and i agree that hardly anyone will EVER get a 10.. there are not many "perfect" games out there...

hesham

Established Member
Feanor said:
hesham said:
wow.. calm down..

thats YOUR interpretation of a ten.. MINE is different..
Whats the problem? its diffrent ways of analyzing stuff..
Next your gona say Ade should get a 10 becase he gave 110% :lol:

MDGoonah41

Established Member
USArsenal said:
arsenal_hleb said:
if they did their job to perfection (i.e. nothing wrong), then that would be something special...

edit - the only position that would get a 6 or 7 rating for having a match that they did nothing wrond but also nothing "special" would be a keeper.... if they were not really involved in the match, it's harder to give a better rating...

outfield players who are directly involved with the match for the ENTIRE match need to be perfect in order to get a 10.. and that includes contributing to our offfence AND defence... (which is their jobs in our current system)

I could make the argument that it's impossible to play 90 minutes and not make a mistake. Therefore, you should never give a 10 to anyone. That's why 1-10 is flawed. But I digress....this week's ratings

Part 1

1432898245_f1a8843395.jpg

Click here for a larger image.

Part 2

1432898253_c3700609d4.jpg

Click here for a larger image

The overall chart

1432898255_3dc274ed5b.jpg

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

USArsenal said:
arsenal_hleb said:

but then if i say a defender did nothing wrong in the match and just did his job like clearing his lines, not letting a striker past etc, he still won't get a 10. he would need to score a goal or do something great imo. 10 is a perfect score, which is almost impossible to attain unless you score lets say a hattrick against manure and singlehandedly bring your team to victory.

i wouldn't give a player who did nothing wrong a 10, just simply because he did nothing wrong. thats my opinion

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

btw, everybody has his own judgement and own ratings of how they think the player did and their own opinion of how 1-10 is given. so if i think he is fantastic, yet not to my perfect liking, i can give him 9.999999999999999999999999999 but NOT a 10. you have to understand one man's meat is another man's poison...

anyway, rating is just a good gauge of how the player performed, no point arguing about it imo.

Feanor

Established Member
USArsenal said:
Feanor said:
I think people who make claims like "a 10 means he made no mistakes" have probably not played a lot of competitive football.

see, that's where you are making assumptions that you shouldnt necessarily be making... i actually played for 18 years, including college...

"best player on the pitch" doesnt mean it was "10" performance... it just means he garners a higher rating than everyone else (which he did from me - he got a 9)

look, you can rate however you want to rate.. knocking others for rating what THEY rate is not necessary.. (unless it is exorbitantly LOW - like Mags giving Ade a 7.5 rating)..... people who give him an 8.5 or a 9 are obviously saying that he played quite well.. just not "perfect".. and i agree that hardly anyone will EVER get a 10.. there are not many "perfect" games out there...

I guess we'll agree to disagree.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
Feanor said:
USArsenal said:
Feanor said:

I guess we'll agree to disagree.
fine by me.... said that from the beginning... everyone has their own way of judging...

Arsenal Quotes

My job is to give people who work hard all week something to enjoy on Saturdays and Wednesdays

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom