• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Arsenal vs Derby County | 22/09/07

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
mags said:
USArsenal said:
mags said:
Given the opponent, can't overdo it with the numbers.

Fabregas 6.5 Solid

Adebayor 7.5 Good footwork; hat trick; excellent work rate

oooooooooook
It was Derby City, man....a team some consider the worst ever to be promoted to the PL......I thought it was fair given the opponent....It wasn't like a hat trick against ManU, etc......It was Derby Ctiy, for god's sake.....I took into account the quality of the opponent..............

hey, just a quick thought... i noticed that you gave Adebayor the same rating against Sevilla as you did for Derby (7.5)... interesting.... you still dont think 7.5 was a tad low for scoring 3 goals? anyhoooooooooooooo

ronitc

yeah i really haven't taken anything he's said seriously in this thread...

derby county should really appeal to the fa to get more than 3 points for every win and reduce the number of points the opposition team gets when they beat derby.

that's going by mags logic, of course.

ps. cheers for compiling the ratings, mdgoonah. interesting to see I was almost spot on with the average total for every player without reading through the thread. just off on cesc, but that's to be expected with the unrealistic demands some have of him here.

giuliob

Ade's overall rating is 9.1....As someone said previously, the compilation of individual ratings will balance things out....My 7.5 sticks out like a sore thumb....But if it changed the overall rating significantly, I don't know....Don't have the time to do the math right now....

I still say that there should be general guidelines when using the 1-10 system......

@rontic: Your logic is beyond the cow jumping over the moon.....Please try not to put words under my name that don't belong there.......Thanks........

@usarsenal: Must check my previous ratings before I hit the "submit" button.....Don't slap my hand too hard for not doing so......

Amen......

ronitc

talking of logic when your ratings are for an imaginary opposition team, lol.

who are derby city again?

Biggus

Established Member
USArsenal said:
a 10 to me means the player did nothing wrong in the entire match...

in that respect, no one in our squad deserved one...

Ade missed a wide open chance in the first 5 minutes of the game... he lost the ball a few times... yeah, he scored 3 goals (and well taken goals too - admittedly), and that is why i gave him a 9.. he was fantastic, but not perfect... very few times will a player get 10.. very few times in a season does a player play "the perfect game"..

Its true, perfection only exists as a mathematical concept, and has no basis in reality US. Hence no human will live up to it objectively.
Subjectively however, and thats what we're talking about here, personal opinions.
In my opinion Adebayor has done everything I as a supporter could reasonably expect of him....100%
Err except maybe another goal. :wink:

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
of course "perfection" is purely a concept.. even Kaka isnt perfect...

hey, i gave the guy a 9.. i certainly dont give those out easily.. to me, 9 means he played excellent.. and he did... just dont really like to give out 10's much since it would water down when someone REALLY puts in a "10" performance... (IMO only).. but i thought 9 was certainly appropriate..

Biggus

Established Member
Well as I say Banduan, A human cannot achieve the literal definition of perfection so we must use another one as it relates to a football game. I believe it is unreasonable to expect a player to get more than three goals in a top class game. Ade did this and more for the team.
Toure and Fabregas were exellent for the team and deserved 9. In my opinion Ade did a little more.
If nobody is ever going to to get a 10, theres not point in having it, we may as well just have a 1-9 rating. :roll:

And I don't give out 9's or 10's very often either.........Can't believe I've spent a page having to defend giving Ade a 10. :roll:

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Pretty easy to solve this . Put it to a vote - that from now on Hattricks are a 10 no matter how they are achieved.
We should give midfielders a criteria as well for achieving a 10 and defenders.

Biggus

Established Member
Heh heh I don't know who uttered the famous words......
"He's done nothing the whole game, except score goals"

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Heh heh , fairs fair. Two attempts two goals - thats what you call efficiency.

Biggus

Established Member
Err no, as I believe he was part of the defence which conceded goals. Now if Pascal had performed superbly all round and capped it off with 2 goals....above and beyond the call of duty as it were- then yes- he would would have deserved a 10. I didn't see the game but I'd imagine he deserved an 8 or 9.

Long Time Gooner

Biggus said:
Err no, as I believe he was part of the defence which conceded goals. Now if Pascal had performed superbly all round and capped it off with 2 goals....above and beyond the call of duty as it were- then yes- he would would have deserved a 10. I didn't see the game but I'd imagine he deserved an 8 or 9.
All very good points. It was a somewhat tongue in cheek suggestion though.

I was at the game. The crowd chanted "There's only one Pascal Cygan" which was quite surreal.

banduan

Established Member
Biggus said:
Well as I say Banduan, A human cannot achieve the literal definition of perfection so we must use another one as it relates to a football game. I believe it is unreasonable to expect a player to get more than three goals in a top class game.

It's fair enuff that people want to give Ade a '10' i.e. a flawless performance i.e. perfection.

I was just wondering how people could consider a 10 score not perfect. Of course you should allow a stray pass here and there, we're only human, but we'd still call it perfect. Which nutcase wants a robot for a footie player?

Arsenal Quotes

If Ryan Giggs is worth 20 millions, Bergkamp is worth 100 million

Marco Van Basten
Top Bottom