• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Arsenal vs Hull | 27/09/08

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Re: Arsenal vs Hull Player Ratings

DC Gunner said:
AnthonyG said:
Don't know how people forget that Al actually made a couple of very good saves yesterday. Oh well.
True, but they were regular saves.

In any regard, he as a keeper should recognize that one of his CBs is an idiot during corners, and should at least try to do something about it instead of watching a 6 yard header into the net.
Actually, when I said very good saves, I meant very good saves. As for the Cousin goal, if Al had tried to get that ball at the point of contact it would have been a very, very poor piece of goalkeeping.

I guess it would have been nice to see Al fly to his right and tip it wide, but it did go right in at the far post where Cesc was positioned and couldn't jump high enough to get to it. Come to think of it, Cesc is a little short. Perhaps that's the real problem, not Gallas, not Toure, not Al.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

DC Gunner said:
arsmile said:
there's only so much a keeper can do...from where that header was met, it was impossible to get to- we will have this problem as long as we put gallas on decent headers and there is nothing al can do about that
Honestly, I don't remember Manny coming out for any corners recently, and that has to be changed.
64th minute versus Bolton, when they were having a good spell.

DC Gunner

Established Member

AnthonyG said:
DC Gunner said:
arsmile said:
there's only so much a keeper can do...from where that header was met, it was impossible to get to- we will have this problem as long as we put gallas on decent headers and there is nothing al can do about that
Honestly, I don't remember Manny coming out for any corners recently, and that has to be changed.
64th minute versus Bolton, when they were having a good spell.
Thanks for the correction, I honestly don't remember it though :?

DC Gunner

Established Member

AnthonyG said:
Actually, when I said very good saves, I meant very good saves. As for the Cousin goal, if Al had tried to get that ball at the point of contact it would have been a very, very poor piece of goalkeeping.

I guess it would have been nice to see Al fly to his right and tip it wide, but it did go right in at the far post where Cesc was positioned and couldn't jump high enough to get to it. Come to think of it, Cesc is a little short. Perhaps that's the real problem, not Gallas, not Touré, not Al.
Interesting that you say that, who is responsible for the positioning, the keeper or Gallas ?

arsmile

Established Member

and that's not the only example of him being more dominant in the air this term- thought that was mutually accepted

it's criticism like this that detracts from the almunia critics when they actually have a point

arsmile

Established Member

DC Gunner said:
AnthonyG said:

I guess it would have been nice to see Al fly to his right and tip it wide, but it did go right in at the far post where Cesc was positioned and couldn't jump high enough to get to it. Come to think of it, Cesc is a little short. Perhaps that's the real problem, not Gallas, not Touré, not Al.
Interesting that you say that, who is responsible for the positioning, the keeper or Gallas ?

whose positioning?

DC Gunner

Established Member

arsmile said:
DC Gunner said:
AnthonyG said:

whose positioning?
Sorry, my bad, I was typing so fast, I thought of something but did not type it at all, I meant the positioning of players during a corner, and the selection of goal line players.

ps: come to think of it, my original quoted post did not come close to what I wanted to say :shock:

arsmile

Established Member

i'd guess that's the management- we have our supposed best headers marking the danger guys- and the ones who would be no use marking (cesc, clichy) on the posts..mind you i think cesc would do a better job marking than gallas

i think we predominantly man mark- so the positioning of our marking defenders is determined by the attackers- the only problem is gallas stands 4 or 5 yards off the player he's marking- i think it's cos he knows he wont beat them in a head-off so he's tryign to gain some weird angular advantage- dosent work...hasnt worked for the 3 goals that we've conceded form corners- all of which were 100% his fault

banduan

Established Member

Almunia - 7: could do better but not bad
Sagna - 6: okay performance, very obviously best header
Toure - 6: fairly average performance, shooting not his job
Gallas - 4: solid until equaliser, mello jello afterwards
Clichy - 5: poor going forward, crosses still terrible
Theo - 5: always most dangerous attacker, yet hesitant
Cesc - 4: regression of monstrous proportions, please improve!
Denilson - 5: not poor but not bright either
Eboue - 4: losing silly balls in silly places
RVP - 3: one flashy trick is no performance
Adebayor - 4: constructive yet no product, no energy

Bendtner - 7: shone a bit but then faded
Vela - 5: boy made hardly any impact whatsoever

Biggus

Established Member

qs said:
No one would've saved them Biggus,

I'm not blaming Al, the first was a great strike that would have taken a great save to stop.
But it was a long way out and that's what top class keepers do- they make great saves- Al doesn't.
That changed the game, without their first and a brilliant match winning save we may have gotten a second, we'll never know.

Certainly we'll never know how match winning saves will affect us with Al in goal.

Nela

Established Member

I thought Almunia and Denilson were our only decent players.

Everyone else was not only poor, but showed no will and no heart.

Lukazan

Established Member

Biggus said:
qs said:
No one would've saved them Biggus,

I'm not blaming Al, the first was a great strike that would have taken a great save to stop.
But it was a long way out and that's what top class keepers do- they make great saves- Al doesn't.
That changed the game, without their first and a brilliant match winning save we may have gotten a second, we'll never know.

Certainly we'll never know how match winning saves will affect us with Al in goal.

Saving the first goal wouldn't have been a great save, it would have been inhuman. NO goalkeeper anywhere in the world would have saved it, ever.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu

Almunia - 5
Sagna - 6
Touré - 5
Gallas - 3
Clichy - 4
Walcott - 6
Fabregas - 5
Denilson - 5
Eboue - 4
RvP - 5
Ade - 5

Vela - 5
Bendtner - 5

dutchMasta

Yeah, there's no way Almunia could've saved either of them, unless he takes off his boot and launches it at the ball in time. He's been pretty blameless so far this season, and although it's one position I'd like replacing, there are others that are more important to me.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

dutchMasta said:
Yeah, there's no way Almunia could've saved either of them, unless he takes off his boot and launches it at the ball in time. He's been pretty blameless so far this season, and although it's one position I'd like replacing, there are others that are more important to me.
:lol: It's a thought. Maybe Gallas should throw his boot at whoever he's supposed to mark.

DC Gunner

Established Member

AnthonyG said:
dutchMasta said:
:lol: It's a thought. Maybe Gallas should throw his boot at whoever he's supposed to mark.
Bill Walton did throw his shoe @ a ball in the NBA, so it might be a good idea. :lol:

gunnerGH

Established Member

Just listeneing to talk sport there and a cockney listener rang in saying he confronted Gallas after the game.

Apparently he told him he wasnt fit to weat the armband and that he should give it to someone else.

Fair enough, he deserves it. But ahead of such a big game against Porto, not the best idea when he is obviously lacking in confidence.

Biggus

Established Member

Lukazan said:
Saving the first goal wouldn't have been a great save, it would have been inhuman. NO goalkeeper anywhere in the world would have saved it, ever.

With all due respect to you Luka, but that's nonsense. It was a long way out and it was curling in all the way but with quick footwork before launching a great save is always possible. Almunia doesn't move his feet enough he dives too soon and often arrives before the ball and so has to use his upper hand to reach back.

James

Established Member

In the words of Andy Gray, sometimes you just have to 'teek a bowww'.

No keeper, man, being, in the world would have got anywhere near it.

Biggus

Established Member

Riiiight, well it's squeaky bum time then whenever anyone gets the ball 30 yards out near the touchline. :roll:

Arsenal Quotes

When I arrived, an Arsenal share was worth £800; it subsequently rose continuously in value and by the time I left it stood at £17,000.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom