• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Arsenal vs Newcastle | 18/11/06

thierryunreal

most people aren't too far off, but i think baptista didn't play very well. his touch was off and hadto struggle holding the ball (in comparison to cesc or hleb), also his passes came on too strongly,very differernt to others on the team. and i think hleb should have taken more and better shots. i hate to say this but or midfielders need to watch clips of lampard shooting, some are rubbbish, some get deflected and go in and some are fantastic, (usually with people in his front and legs flying to block, but he does it anyway).so we should take more risks with shooting (bap, cesc, flamini, hleb). rvp played well and took good shots, he was unlucky to have missed that chance and then get injured. i think if he doesn't get injured, and lose momentum, he will score in his next match because he has taken a few powerful left foot shots from left-area outside the box against 'pool and n'castle but only went straight at the 'keeper and i reckon that he wil look back and take the risks for the corners of the goal a lot more.

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
ade - a solid 5 (it's quite sad since i have high hopes for him)

mad jens, clichy, eboue, flamini, cesc, baptista, theo - 6

kolo, gallas, henry, robin - 7

hleb - 8.5, MoM, the belarussian conquerer

Captain

Established Member
I thought Theo did quite well when he came on actually; 3 or 4 dangerous balls into the box in his short time on the pitch is a pretty good return.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Captain said:
I thought Theo did quite well when he came on actually; 3 or 4 dangerous balls into the box in his short time on the pitch is a pretty good return.
TBH I was quite surprised of Theo's dexitity when he whipped the ball into the box. No power on the ball wasted and no sign of strenous swing when Theo made his leg swing on the ball. Very coordinated and comfortable to watch for a footy fan like me. More surprisingly was the accuracy and his intention and awareness of how the ball would go. I think it's quite rare to see an Englishman can drift the ball into the box like that with just effort and elegance.

Still watching how Theo trying to beat Newcaslte defenders made me laugh. Some of his decision making in 1-on-1 occasions showed that he is still a kid. In some occasions he should have pushed the ball further behind defenders instead of keeping the ball close to his right foot. Because the ball just stalled his feet, not making defenders uncertain where Theo might go to. Theo also needs to learn more feints and dummies. I might get slaughted by saying the following, but if Theo can learn a few thing from Lenon's dribbling Theo will become a great forward or a winger soon. Lenon's dribbling is often reasonable unlike CR's pony show. I believe he will make his way into first XI and even England International very quickly.

kel varnsen

Established Member
Captain said:

i thought theo was highly average. he kept things very simple and 'safe'. he never tried to beat his defender one on one; instead he just whipped the ball into the box, of which we didn't create a single goal chance. he wasn't poor, but he didn't offer anything special to the team. all in all, i was disappointed by his performance.

lagos

Established Member
I have seen nothing so far to suggest Theo is in the Category of Messi, Fabregas, Rooney. The first time I saw Rooney I said this kid is special, the 1st time I saw Fabregas same thing I have seen Walcott in probably 7 games now and aside from the fact that he has pace, I'm still waiting to be impressed, his ball distribution is sloppy and he can't dribble. I'm not saying he won't eventually succeed and I really want him to, but those calling for Walcott all the time are probably buying into the hype rather than anything he's actually produced on the field so far.

kooldawg

Established Member
lagosgooner said:
I have seen nothing so far to suggest Theo is in the Category of Messi, Fabregas, Rooney. The first time I saw Rooney I said this kid is special, the 1st time I saw Fabregas same thing I have seen Walcott in probably 7 games now and aside from the fact that he has pace, I'm still waiting to be impressed, his ball distribution is sloppy and he can't dribble. I'm not saying he won't and I really want him to, but those calling for Walcott all the time are probably buying into the hype rather than anything he's actually produced on the field so far.

While i'm not as pessismistic as you are, i do wish that Wenger would seriously consider employing Walcott as a striker more often than as a winger, give him a chance at getting onto to some goal scoring opportunities rather than being forced to create them.

lagos

Established Member
I don't think I'm being a pessimist. I am simply forming an opinion based on what I've seen so far. At 16 Fabregas was destroying premiership teams in the carling cup. similarly rooney while at Everton. Their performances at top level created the hype which has been fully justified. My issue with Theo 's case is that the hype came first and I'm yet to see the performance ( and I'm not saying it won't come). Its not Theo or Wenger I have a problem with, It's those who keep saying start theo! based on what?

I do however agree that I would like to see him play as a striker.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

lagosgooner said:
I have seen nothing so far to suggest Theo is in the Category of Messi, Fabregas, Rooney. The first time I saw Rooney I said this kid is special, the 1st time I saw Fabregas same thing I have seen Walcott in probably 7 games now and aside from the fact that he has pace, I'm still waiting to be impressed, his ball distribution is sloppy and he can't dribble. I'm not saying he won't eventually succeed and I really want him to, but those calling for Walcott all the time are probably buying into the hype rather than anything he's actually produced on the field so far.

Nah , he can dribble and has incredible ball control on the run not to mention he actually looks up, very good player already but still a long way to go.

lagos

Established Member
celestis said:
Nah , he can dribble and has incredible ball control on the run not to mention he actually looks up, very good player already but still a long way to go.

all I'm saying is a player who "still a long way to go" doesn't merit a starting berth yet especially as we are playing catchup. He is getting his chances with his usual 75th minute substitutions, it's down to him to use that to force his way in.

Mr. Hotshot

Established Member
Lehmann: 6 - Nothing he could do for the goal.

Eboue: 6 - Bad defending, bad bad defending (talking about the goal).

Toure: 7 - This guy has a lot of heart, he was all over the pitch, going forward and then running back 50 yards to defend again. I like him

Gallas: 6 - yep, solid

Clichy: 5 - Very inconsistent. I didn't see him going forward much, it was like he wasn't even playing. And you could also blame him for the goal.

Hleb: 8 - The dribble master, at his best. Always trying to pick up people and slide through the killer pass. MOTM

Baptista: 5 - It ain't easy coming back after being injured for 4 weeks so I can forgive his awful performance.

Flamini: 6 - Average.

RvP: 7 - If Henry is out, he's the man we can rely on to get goals. Wasted that great opportunity infront of goal. But yeah, probably the best player in the first half.

Adebayor: 4 - OMG, I can't believe how awful he is. I'm sorry but if you can't finish, you don't have enough qualities to be in this Arsenal squad.

Henry: 7 - Saved our a$$'. good goal.

Theo: 5 - looks shy, feels like he's the only school boy in the team. Oh wait, he is.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Lehmann 6 - conceded a goal and have nothing to do

Eboue 5 - stupid defending.

Toure 7 - rock solid in defence

Gallas 6.5 - pumped long balls into the box towards the end

Clichy 5.5 - was partly at fault too for that goal

Flamini 6.5 - good assured display

Hleb 7.5 - very good, dribbling perfect, but no end product

Cesc 6.5 - must stop getting frustrated and instead show his talent

Baptista 5.5 - not match fit

Rvp 6 - got a good shot got a injury

Ade 6 - played the whole match, had a good number of chances in the box, just turn the defender and shoot! c'mon, kidstuff.

subs
Walcott 6 - pumped lotsa balls into the box, but nobody there to head or control it as always. need to show more creativity to justify his price tag.

Henry 7.5 - saviour. nuff said

Arsenal Quotes

I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art.
When you read some books they are fantastic, the writer touches something in you that you know you would not have brought out of yourself. He makes you discover something interesting in your life.
If you are living like an animal, what is the point of living? What makes daily life interesting is that we try to transform it to something that is close to art. And football is like that.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom