• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Sheffield United vs Arsenal | 30/12/06

Rohit

Established Member
Viper said:
Rohit said:
He was beaten by Gillespie once in the first half it resulted in nothing as Gillespie passed it behind.I did say his errors go unnoticed.You probably are getting me wrong.I am not doubting his ability.But when i see a Senderos who is ready to put his skull through someones studs to get a ball away from our box,to do anything to stop us from conceeding and then i see a full back jump up and show his ass on being threatened by a cross it's annoying.And one day it wil cost us and then i will may be definately point it out stating the how many minutes and seconds had passed when he got beaten due to that tendency for you to be able to concentrate on it in the replay.
So Gillespie got past him once or twice. Who gives a f**k? Baptista got past his marker a couple of times. Does that mean he had a good game?

Did you read my previous posts at all.I never said Clichy had a bad game.Theres something about him i don't like,am i allowed to mention it on Arsenal-Mania ?

fabregas

Okay. This was the worst I seen from Arsenal but then the first thing I'll mention is that Wenger have tinkered too much with the line-up. Injuries force him to do that. Also, the pitch wasn't good. Now, don't criticise me for blaming anything other than the performance but then the soggy and ****ed up pitch don't favour Arsenal's passing game. Also, I find that NO Arsenal player tried to slow down the game to our tempo. Instead, we played to their tempo which was driven by their fans and we couldn't play our usual playing style.

athreya74

Lehman - 5 , could have stayed back for the goal allowing Toure the opportunity to recover and challenge Nade

Hoyte - 4.5, Tried hard but found lacking when going forward and passing forward

Toure-4, his worst game in recent memory, as bad as the Bayern Munich away game in 05. But he will be the first to acknowledge it

Senderos - 7.5, has looked at the top of his game ever since he came on as sub against Watford

Clichy- 5, did enough, but nothing exciting. Maybe we need to look at alternatives at left back

Rosicky - 3.5, piss-poor. I am not surprised he was hustled off the ball a number of times. But even when he had a bit of space he tried to go for ambitious passes and killed one or two promising breaks. Also needed to take more shots ta goal in the second half when Jagielka deputised in goal. Maybe like Hleb he will improve but I am not sure that Rosicky in wings in a 4-4-2 is workable

Flamini - 4, was conspicuous by his absence when defenders came out to distribue the ball. Nuff said. Would have been worse except for his versatility in playing RB

Gilberto - 5.5, tried manfully but looks like the tank is running empty.

Baptista - 3.5, annoying tendency to hold onto the ball for too long and finally end up getting hustled off the ball. Rainy night in
sheffield and playing out of position are good excuses but given that he is just a loanee I don't have time for him.

Ali - 4.5, showed couple of glimpses of what he can be. Maybe on a sunny day at the emirates he can bang them in. But not enough quality to make the starting line-up. Goodbye Ali.

RvP - 4.5, Suffered at the hands of the ref and that c*&t Morgan. He tried hard but I was disapointed that he didn't opt to shoot more often from distance when Jagielka was in the goal.

Subs: Cesc -5, not enough time to make an impact but at least he was involved and strung together a few passes
Denilson-5, looks a good prospect.

Arsène Wenger - 1, for playing Baptista, Rosicky out of position and playing Flamini in Cesc's role. Playing 4-4-2 without half decent wingers when this game cried out for a 4-5-1. And then whinging on the touchline.

Media - 0 , whther it is ESPN-Star in Asia or Guardian for hailing it as a good example for the english game blah blah. If that is the case then I am surprised England even progresses to the quarters of major tournaments

Referee - -1 for being a c&^t towards RvP and playing as Sheffield's twelfth man

India capitulating at Durban and Arsenal surrendering at Bramall Lane. Apt ending to 2006. Now for some sedatives to float into 2007.

vin de guerre

I think there are too many people here have been brought up with an Arsenal that unquestionably "achieves". Therefore when we play badly it is the end of the world as we know it!
I think the blame for this game goes for once squarely on AW's shoulders. His gameplan and his selection were poor and lacking all vision of what was needed to WRESTLE the points out of Bramall Lane. I fully expect that we will see Sheff Utd fairly screwed in their next match whilst we will run rings around Charlton at home. Therefore I give AW a 1 for being there whilst the team get 4 for not losing by more or getting a red card.

athreya74

vin de guerre said:
I think there are too many people here have been brought up with an Arsenal that unquestionably "achieves". Therefore when we play badly it is the end of the world as we know it!
I think the blame for this game goes for once squarely on AW's shoulders. His gameplan and his selection were poor and lacking all vision of what was needed to WRESTLE the points out of Bramall Lane. I fully expect that we will see Sheff Utd fairly screwed in their next match whilst we will run rings around Charlton at home. Therefore I give AW a 1 for being there whilst the team get 4 for not losing by more or getting a red card.
Sums up the game.

sabret00the

Established Member
brady said:
I am not sure why the focus is on clichy - he had a decent game. The spotlight should fall squarely on toure. He did his best headless chicken impersonation for a long time. He's not a bad player but he's way overrated as a defender. And definitely not a future captain.

The other player who looked lost was rosicky. He was definitely not up for it and you could see that in the very first minute when he was caught ball watching and he then sleepwalked through the game for about 10 minutes. I thought he should have been taken off at half time.

The forwards could not be blamed because they hardly received any service. Baptista, it should be clear by now, is not a midfielder. He might have been more effective up front tangling with Morgan, who should have been sent off for any one of a series of disgraceful fouls.

The game was really mind-numbing and we never really looked like scoring all night.
good post.

qs

Established Member
Lehmann - 6
Hoyte - 5
Toure - 4
Senderos - 8
Clichy - 5
Rosicky - 3
Gilberto - 6
Flamini - 3
Baptista - 5
Aliadiere - 2
RVP - 4

kel varnsen

Established Member
>YounGunner< said:
Seriously do any of you understand basic Football?

How do you expect RvP and Ali to do well when the service was useless. Add to the fact that they where playing infront of Flamini and Gilberto with Baptista on the left wing :lol: and Rosicky who had his worse game in an Arsenal shirt.

nonsense and a complete lack of understanding of football. you completely misunderstand the term 'service'. the midfielders and strikers rely on each others to create something going forward. for the strikers to receive any 'service' from the midfielders, they have to make good runs off the ball. find open space. if not, the midfielders can't pass the ball to them. the run always precedes the pass. first the run, then the pass.

besides, both aliadiere and van persie received a few good passes yesterday, but did **** all on the ball. van persie lost the ball immidiately every time he received the ball and aliadiere looked lost out there, running around like a headless chicken.

qs

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
>YounGunner< said:
Seriously do any of you understand basic Football?

How do you expect RvP and Ali to do well when the service was useless. Add to the fact that they where playing infront of Flamini and Gilberto with Baptista on the left wing :lol: and Rosicky who had his worse game in an Arsenal shirt.

nonsense and a complete lack of understanding of football. you completely misunderstand the term 'service'. the midfielders and strikers rely on each others to create something going forward. for the strikers to receive any 'service' from the midfielders, they have to make good runs off the ball. find open space. if not, the midfielders can't pass the ball to them. the run always precedes the pass. first the run, then the pass.

besides, both aliadiere and van persie received a few good passes yesterday, but did f**k all on the ball. van persie lost the ball immidiately every time he received the ball and aliadiere looked lost out there, running around like a headless chicken.

Agreed. Rosicky was terrible but he suffered as much from a lack of people playing well around him as Ali and Robin.

If you watch Robin on his better days if he isnt getting passes he goes looking for the ball from midfield. Most good strikers do.

bazza_afc

Don't usually give comments but feel the need to for this game:

Lehmann 5 - Terrible goalkeeping for the goal

Hoyte 4 - Not good enough

Senderos 7 - Solid

Toure 4 - Kolo what's going on?

Clichy 7 - Rapidly improving

Rosicky 4 - Has the technical ability of Cesc but not the spirit on this showing

Flamini 6 - Didn't do a lot but a hard worker

Gilberto 5 - Anonymous

Baptista 4 - Out of postion & out of sorts

RvP 5 - No service still crap though

Aliadere 4 - See Hoyte.

M+D

Established Member
Lehman - 5.5 Didn't really do much, and didn't have to, but for the goal he was definitely at fault.

Hoyte - 4.5 Gave the ball away far too often

Toure-4 Suffering from fatigue, i am hoping on this performance. He had a shocker of a game.

Senderos - 6.5 O.k, didn't make too many mistakes and tried hard.

Clichy- 6 2nd best player IMO yesterday, but still not enough.

Rosicky - 4 Disappointing, really disappointing. Wenger probably should have played him on the left wing, as he has been playing there for the majority of this season.

Flamini - 4 Pathetic display, didn't even give his all like he normally does. And this isn't just a reaction to a poor performance, I genuinely believe he hasn't what it takes to be an Arsenal player. Determination and guts (most of the time) doesn't equal Arsenal quality.

Gilberto - 5.5 Looked like he had no energy whatsoever. Below par, but by no means the worst.

Baptista - 4 Got past his marker a few times, but spurned too many chances and lost the ball way too often through his poor first touch. I more than anyone would like him to succeed, and having seen his performances in the past, he has the talent.

Ali- 4.5 No service, but no effort either. Got to be let go now.

RvP- 4.5 No service again, but another one of the players out there who looked unfit and not up for it.

Subs: Cesc- 6 Made a bit of a difference, but didn't exactly light up the match. Too much hope on young shoulders?

Denilson- 6 Tried hard, had nice touches and had a much better control over the ball then many. But he wasn't on long enough to make an impact really. Good prospect though.

ronitc

Toure played like a joke, seriously the most naive defending I have seen. Atleast against Bayern Munich he was playing against class forwards. He has been trying his best to impersonate Titus Bramble for the last 3 matches.

I supported Rosicky in the last match ratings thread but I cannot do so here. I was in disbelief at how badly he played. He missed pass after pass and was easily shaken off the ball. I can understand losing the ball a few times due to the physical nature of the game and him adjusting to the premiership in his first season, but his overall play was absolutely dire. Maybe he was ill too?

I don't even know where to start on Baptista... If he can't play striker then he is useless to us. What Wenger was thinking starting with a midfield of Flamini, Baptista, Gilberto and Rosicky I have no idea. He is comically cumbersome, and this is after half a season. He hasn't had much playing time, but surely things like first touch are integral part of our daily training regime. The highest level of football I've played is at college level, but even I know that with defenders bearing down on you INSIDE the area the best choice is a first time shot. This is instinctive.

Even more galling our bench consisted of Song, Denilson and Lauren. We were in bad shape with injuries, yes, but surely including an attacking minded player like Merida or Barzite would be preferable to the match winning talents of Alexander Song. I struggle to make sense of these decisions.

Won't comment on Hoyte as I hope he is just a stop-gap player while Lauren and Eboue are out.

Clichy did not have a bad game but had ridiculous lapses in concentration. How do you miscontrol a ball so badly as to give away a throw in when there is no pressure on you and your team is chasing the game with precious few minutes left? He did this more than once.

The final note I want to make is that the only player shooting from distance after Jagielka went in goal was Cesc. He did not have to deal with one shot on target from range. What a depressing thought.

Arsenal Quotes

I didnt score as many as I hoped, but it was nice that I always scored against Tottenham

Charlie Nicholas

Latest posts

Top Bottom