• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Sheffield United vs Arsenal | 30/12/06

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
gstew said:
For those of you that have rated Clichy worse than 7, I am curious what you thought his mistakes were? I thought he was our best attacking player and our best defending player. I don't remember him getting beaten and bar a few blocked crosses I thought that he attacked well. Is my memory that bad? The game just ended a few minutes ago, didn't it? Have all of the drugs finally caught up with me?

maybe...

clichy was decent just now but in the last 15 minutes he seemed to switch off his radar and made some passes that were not known for whom and his touches were bad actually... those last 15 minutes aside, i think he deserves a 6.5 or 7 but then he played for 90 minutes full and so any ratings between 4.5-5.5 is acceptable.

gstew

Rohit said:
gstew said:
For those of you that have rated Clichy worse than 7, I am curious what you thought his mistakes were? I thought he was our best attacking player and our best defending player. I don't remember him getting beaten and bar a few blocked crosses I thought that he attacked well. Is my memory that bad? The game just ended a few minutes ago, didn't it? Have all of the drugs finally caught up with me?

Yes they have.
He could lay claim to being our best attacker though,thats how bad our front 6 were today.But Senderos was a monster today,our best defender by a mile.Clichy makes mistakes that do go unnoticed.His continuing tandency to fall for the fake and show his ass annoys the f**k out of me.Overall he was good,but wasn't close to Senderos.

If you are referring to the three times where he let players commit past him, in all three cases he won the takcle and was back on his feet with the ball moving in the other direction before the Sheffield player had even got back up. It appeared to me that he was baiting them into feeling that he had been beaten, not that he was actually beaten. I don't remember a Sheffield player getting behind him.

Of course this could be the cocktail of painkillers talking. With about ten minutes left I decided I needed to clean out my medicine cabinet to avoid my head spontaneously exploding.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Lehmann - 6 - OK.

Hoyte - 5 - Some forward running and contributed little, despite looking settled. Justin may need to learn how to cross the ball properly. Otherwise Kolo may have to come to cover his back.

Kolo - 5 - Another mistake led to a goal conceded. Can't figure how Kolo could let his marking target run around him. This the second mistake Kolo made in a row, the first one is away to Watford. Either Wenger needs to resort to 4-5-1 or restrain Hoyte's forward running. Kolo needs a helping hand really.

Senderos - 7 - Solid, as he demonstrated away to Watford. My only critism on him is his forward passing. If he doesn't know how to chip the ball accurately, let Kolo do that then.

Clichy - 6 - OK but looked tired. Also showed lapse in concentration in the last 15 mins.

Gilberto - 6 - tried.

Flamini - 5 - headless, again.

Rosicky - 5 - Looked uncomfortable when shift to central position. The ball ping-ponging in the air didn't help Tomas either. This was combined with muddy pitch, ineffective Bap and Aliadiere, and Sheffield's physical approach.

RvP - 6 - Looked a bit off-pace, maybe due to hectic X'mas schedule. Robin was eager to make impact but put off by opponent's man-playing and Morgan c^nt provocating method.

Baptista - 4 - Very poor display. I start to doubt his chance in this team. His habituation to raise his right arm when controlling the ball reminds me of Djorkaeff. However both vision and skill-wise, the Brazilian is no where near the par with the French forward. His bulky build gives me false impression that he could earn that extra hald second to handle the ball reasonably. But Julio hasn't convinced me of that yet. Julio is used to shoulder-charge nearby opponents, but too often his weight on passing is distracted by his previous physical movement. I have to say this is very un-Brazilian. I can only hope Julio will settle to the rythm of Premiership soon enough.
His first touch needs to improve as well. Julio's first touches look worse than Ade's when he just came in January.

Aliadiere - 4 - Had some flashes then diappeared into the abyss. His performance reminded me of Quincy's in Carling Semi and away to Doncaster. There always comes a point when a manager realises that enough is enough and going seperately is the bset for both the player and the team. Time's up and good luck to Ali elsewhere.

Subs:
Cesc - 6 - Did OK. The team began moving forward after Cesc came in.

Denilson - 6 - Looked agile and knew what to do, despite in several different places on the pitch and under opponent's physical pressure. Actually I was quite impressed by this young lad .

Sheffield played to their strength (high ball & being physical)
and shame that our plyers also played to Sheffield's strength. :(

Substitution-wise, Arsène's hands were tied as the only competent and in-form player on the bench was Cesc. In the second half Wenger should have asked players to cross the ball more and try some long-shots. The muddy pitch and fully-packed box made penetration play very difficult. Yet the only ones dared to shoot from distance were Gilberto and Cesc. Players should have been more savvy on this.

Rohit

Established Member
gstew said:
Rohit said:
gstew said:

Yes they have.
He could lay claim to being our best attacker though,thats how bad our front 6 were today.But Senderos was a monster today,our best defender by a mile.Clichy makes mistakes that do go unnoticed.His continuing tandency to fall for the fake and show his ass annoys the f**k out of me.Overall he was good,but wasn't close to Senderos.

If you are referring to the three times where he let players commit past him, in all three cases he won the takcle and was back on his feet with the ball moving in the other direction before the Sheffield player had even got back up. It appeared to me that he was baiting them into feeling that he had been beaten, not that he was actually beaten. I don't remember a Sheffield player getting behind him.

Of course this could be the cocktail of painkillers talking. With about ten minutes left I decided I needed to clean out my medicine cabinet to avoid my head spontaneously exploding.

It is my friend.These are lame excuses to console yourself.I said before,he wasn't as bad as the rest today but his tendency to fall for the fake really puts me off.He does it once and i start thinking he has had a bad game.If it was something that had just come up now it would have been a different thing,but this i have been noticing about Clichy since he put on an Arsenal shirt for the first time.The last thing i want to see a full back wearing an Arsenal shirt do is junping up like a clown,showing his ass to a player who pretends to cross.

gstew

Rohit said:
gstew said:
Rohit said:
gstew said:

Yes they have.

It is my friend.These are lame excuses to console yourself.I said before,he wasn't as bad as the rest today but his tendency to fall for the fake really puts me off.He does it once and i start thinking he has had a bad game.If it was something that had just come up now it would have been a different thing,but this i have been noticing about Clichy since he put on an Arsenal shirt for the first time.The last thing i want to see a full back wearing an Arsenal shirt do is junping up like a clown,showing his ass to a player who pretends to cross.

You keep mentioning the same thing about Clichy, but I have yet to read your statement about when he was beaten in this game. That is because he was not beaten all game.

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
anyone else other than me likes the way phil used his no nonsense approach whenever there's a rugby scrum inside our box? i'm seriously getting tired of our own players trying to play the ball out the hard way when the oppositions have like 90% of chances to score inside our box.

Rohit

Established Member
He was beaten by Gillespie once in the first half it resulted in nothing as Gillespie passed it behind.I did say his errors go unnoticed.You probably are getting me wrong.I am not doubting his ability.But when i see a Senderos who is ready to put his skull through someones studs to get a ball away from our box,to do anything to stop us from conceeding and then i see a full back jump up and show his ass on being threatened by a cross it's annoying.And one day it wil cost us and then i will may be definately point it out stating the how many minutes and seconds had passed when he got beaten due to that tendency for you to be able to concentrate on it in the replay.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
bojed said:
anyone else other than me likes the way phil used his no nonsense approach whenever there's a rugby scrum inside our box? i'm seriously getting tired of our own players trying to play the ball out the hard way when the oppositions have like 90% of chances to score inside our box.
u got my vote. When Cesc was not on the pitch, 7 out of ten passes coming from fullbacks are likely to be intercept.

KingReyes

Established Member
Jens - 6 - Could have done better for their goal

Hoyte - 5 - Offers nothing going forward

Kolo - 5 - Thought I saw the African version of Pascal Cygan for their goal At least he tried to impose himself in the second half.

Phil -6 - Did OK

Clichy - 5 - has had better days

Baptista - 4 - Very poor 80 minutes but at least he moved his arse in the last 10. Still needs a lot of work for him to make it here. The way it looks it might take 6 years rather than 6 months.

Flamini - 5 - Pub player, battles hard but nothing else as usual.

Gilberto - 6 - Nothing in attack did ok in defense as expected.

Rosicky -5 - Nothing like the player we saw at the world cup. Then again nothing can compare to a **** night at Bramall Lane. This guy actually reminds me of Hleb last season. Never at the races and outmuscled for everything.

Ali - 5 - Very frustrating, nothing much really. Looks like there is potential but fails to show it.

RVP - 5 - Unfairly punched by that **** Morgan but nonetheless he was poor. I expected him to stand up and be counted like he did against Watford but it just wasn't there.

sabret00the

Established Member
KingReyes said:
Jens - 6 - Could have done better for their goal

Hoyte - 5 - Offers nothing going forward

Kolo - 5 - Thought I saw the African version of Pascal Cygan for their goal At least he tried to impose himself in the second half.

Phil -6 - Did OK

Clichy - 5 - has had better days

Baptista - 4 - Very poor 80 minutes but at least he moved his arse in the last 10. Still needs a lot of work for him to make it here. The way it looks it might take 6 years rather than 6 months.

Flamini - 5 - Pub player, battles hard but nothing else as usual.

Gilberto - 6 - Nothing in attack did ok in defense as expected.

Rosicky -5 - Nothing like the player we saw at the world cup. Then again nothing can compare to a s**t night at Bramall Lane. This guy actually reminds me of Hleb last season. Never at the races and outmuscled for everything.

Ali - 5 - Very frustrating, nothing much really. Looks like there is potential but fails to show it.

RVP - 5 - Unfairly punched by that c**t Morgan but nonetheless he was poor. I expected him to stand up and be counted like he did against Watford but it just wasn't there.
he made one mistake and it never resulted in a goal. i'm not saying give him a ten but i will mention the fact that people namely Toure have made more mistakes in a game and got an easy nine just because we won.

KingReyes

Established Member
As I said Sabre he did OK. Which to me means he did his job. Nothing out of this world, nothing bad.

Lev

Senderos - 6

Didnt screw up, and did what he had to do, but he also didnt do anything spectacular. Its the minimum i could ask from Senderos, and what i expect.

The rest of the team however range from a 2-5, Rosicky having one of the lowest i think

Arnie

Baptista was the most annoying player for me, to be honest i would never play him on a wet day at Sheff utd, because there is no way he was gonna be up for it!! He is so f*ckin annoying, he's so big yet he just falls over!! Beast!?! more like ***** cat!

Even though Baptista was most annoying, he wasn't the worst player, that's reserved for rosicky, lets be honest, he wasn't trying today. And i know he's not the only culprit, but can somebody tell him to stop passin first time backwards when there is achres of space infront towards the goal!!

Hoyte, i know he's english, but he isn't arsenal standard lets face it, nothing against the boy, we just have to accept he isn't up to playing for such a big team. The quicker lauren and eboue come back the better.

Van Persie, wasn't helped by the ref in all honesty, but he could have been better at times.

Viper

Established Member
Rohit said:
He was beaten by Gillespie once in the first half it resulted in nothing as Gillespie passed it behind.I did say his errors go unnoticed.You probably are getting me wrong.I am not doubting his ability.But when i see a Senderos who is ready to put his skull through someones studs to get a ball away from our box,to do anything to stop us from conceeding and then i see a full back jump up and show his ass on being threatened by a cross it's annoying.And one day it wil cost us and then i will may be definately point it out stating the how many minutes and seconds had passed when he got beaten due to that tendency for you to be able to concentrate on it in the replay.
So Gillespie got past him once or twice. Who gives a ****? Baptista got past his marker a couple of times. Does that mean he had a good game?

RobinVanPersie

Jameel46 said:
no one except me has given Vp a rating over 3, let's see what an unbiased rating is for Van Persie
http://home.skysports.com/matchratings. ... d=3&cpid=8

Well I'm not always objective if I'm watching Robin but even I found him terrible today. His bal contact, first touch and passes where horrible. And he was very frustrated.

So when I saw the ratings of Sky Sports, I was shocked. I expected a 4 or a 5.

I've seen matches where they gave him a 6 while he was far much better than today. It was his worst match of the season.

Jimbo14

No-one showed any passion!! No-one gave 110%
I wouldn't pay any of them after this weeks performance, they need to have a look at themselves and have a think about what it means to play for the Arsenal!!!
I hope we dont play like that against Charlton and Liverpool, we'll get mullered!!

>YounGunner<

Established Member
Seriously do any of you understand basic Football?

How do you expect RvP and Ali to do well when the service was useless. Add to the fact that they where playing infront of Flamini and Gilberto with Baptista on the left wing :lol: and Rosicky who had his worse game in an Arsenal shirt.

Only Maradona and Pele would have played well as strikers in that team.

phenn

>YounGunner< said:
Seriously do any of you understand basic Football?

How do you expect RvP and Ali to do well when the service was useless. Add to the fact that they where playing infront of Flamini and Gilberto with Baptista on the left wing :lol: and Rosicky who had his worse game in an Arsenal shirt.

Only Maradona and Pele would have played well as strikers in that team.

ali had a couple chances. Van Persie had a good chance late. The last ten minutes we should have scored and it's largely their fault we didn't. Baptista as well.

brady

I am not sure why the focus is on clichy - he had a decent game. The spotlight should fall squarely on toure. He did his best headless chicken impersonation for a long time. He's not a bad player but he's way overrated as a defender. And definitely not a future captain.

The other player who looked lost was rosicky. He was definitely not up for it and you could see that in the very first minute when he was caught ball watching and he then sleepwalked through the game for about 10 minutes. I thought he should have been taken off at half time.

The forwards could not be blamed because they hardly received any service. Baptista, it should be clear by now, is not a midfielder. He might have been more effective up front tangling with Morgan, who should have been sent off for any one of a series of disgraceful fouls.

The game was really mind-numbing and we never really looked like scoring all night.

Arsenal Quotes

Right from his very first match, when Patrick Vieira was as yet unknown to the English public, he showed just how talented he was. No one disputed his ability, and he gave me the credibility and the hold over the club that I needed to take it in the direction I wanted. He and Emmanuel Petit became a duo that would remain forever etched in the memories of Arsenal fans.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom