• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pre-Season 2022

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 3,318
  • Views 154,757

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Where does the support for the wide players come in this setup? Thought Saka looked very isolated at times, or it it designed to give more space to operate in?

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
Where does the support for the wide players come in this setup? Thought Saka looked very isolated at times, or it it designed to give more space to operate in?
There is no support. 3 back has that problem... The wingback it's usually isolated and asked too much. It's one.of the most tiring roles in football. You need to defend and attack by yourself. Combine it with two strikers and you are absolutely alone in your flank without any winger support. It won't work in PL.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
When crushed a Champions League team 6-0 and people are still kinda complaining, smh.

On days like this, can we not just give Arteta the praise as the absolute fantastic coach he is...I am not asking for much here, imo.

RWB

Player:Saliba

I think it is primarly the Jon of the no 8s that operate in the half spaces and occationally drift wide, Xhaka did this alot on the left and Ødegaard had previously done so alot on the right. A bit less now that he is moving to the no 9 slot when Jesus drops deep.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
At home seriously ill so just rewatched the highlights.

Honestly, really encouraged by the way we’ve attacked teams during pre season. My biggest gripe with Uncle Mikel was how we took our foot off the gas when we went a goal or two up. Now it looks like we’re trying to end the game as early as possible in (sigh) Citeh style.

Now more than ever under Arteta we have the players at our disposal to truly worry teams. Saka looks like he’s gonna improve on his already impressive goal return, Jesus looks world class, Ødegaard is thriving with options all around him, Martinelli is *this* close to exploding. Nketiah deserves a mention too, we all knew he was a clinical finisher.

When you consider we have ESR a year more experienced and we’re yet to see what Fabio Vieira can really do, it’s exciting times. Can’t wait for Palace. We owe them some revenge after last season and a comfortable win would be a statement.

Also, Saliba is ****ing amazing.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
I feel you boys are getting a bit carried away again. Pre-season results and performances mean feck-all overall. Getting gassed for beating half fit Chelsea and Sevilla sides when the pressures off and nothing to play for is silly. The amount of false dawns we’ve seen down the years you’d think would bring a sense of caution. But we’re not known for having the most knee jerk fanbase in the country for nothing.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
I feel you boys are getting a bit carried away again. Pre-season results and performances mean feck-all overall. Getting gassed for beating half fit Chelsea and Sevilla sides when the pressures off and nothing to play for is silly. The amount of false dawns we’ve seen down the years you’d think would bring a sense of caution. But we’re not known for having the most knee jerk fanbase in the country for nothing.
Ok sure it's pre season but why can't people be happy that we look to have put together a promising young team on the up?
If you can't enjoy sticking 4 past Chelsea & 6 against a decent Spanish team imho you have a real fkin problem!!

Swear some 🤡s on here are far more invested in Arteta failing than Arsenal winning👎👎👎

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Saliba will start lot here. The way Arteta used him this pre season its proved that. I understand he might wait to see how this season goes but i hope we can convince him
Yes I agree. My worry with a Saliba is the pendulum has swung to the extent that it already looks like we could need him more than he needs us. He’s got to start if fit but I don’t know how much loyalty he’s established with the club since the coach has never shown faith in him until someone else did.

He’d have been dropped if he made those 2 mistakes against Lazio for Immobile to score against Marseille, if he was here and would be well within his rights to run down his contract.

I hope he doesn’t though and we lock him down quick.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

it’s a little bit more layered than this I feel. The problem we had quite clearly last season was how we dealt with coming back from a deficit.

We’re very good at making fast starts and applying pressure early on but we’re still not there yet with shifting gears or varying our approach when the game drops into a lull.

To that end, we haven’t learnt too much new in pre season. I think what people are getting gassed about though is seeing much of the frustrating limitations of previous players being replaced.

Elwood

Yeah Saka seems to take too long to get his shots off and set his body shape. Henry and Wrighty were so good at this technique.
To me it looks like he goes for the safe option first, which really irks me. I understand the rationale, but I believe he should just be more selfish until he gets there.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
it’s a little bit more layered than this I feel. The problem we had quite clearly last season was how we dealt with coming back from a deficit.

We’re very good at making fast starts and applying pressure early on but we’re still not there yet with shifting gears or varying our approach when the game drops into a lull.

To that end, we haven’t learnt too much new in pre season. I think what people are getting gassed about though is seeing much of the frustrating limitations of previous players being replaced.

It’s always good to see the team win, all I’m saying is we shouldn’t write too much into pre-season. When the games don’t matter then the results and performances are largely irrelevant. Pre-season outcomes are no indication of how the season’s going to go.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

It’s always good to see the team win, all I’m saying is we shouldn’t write too much into pre-season. When the games don’t matter then the results and performances are largely irrelevant. Pre-season outcomes are no indication of how the season’s going to go.
Results wise no, but I do think there’s encouraging signs to be taken from what we’re seeing, while there’s also plenty to improve.

Imagine if we had Saliba instead of Holding for that Sp**s away game though. Or Partey fit and someone of the calibre of Zinchenko available in Tierney’s absence.

Big difference v prior seasons is we’ve done our important business early and signed proven quality at the right age, that doesn’t require acclimating to the league.

There’s still a lot of mediocrity around though and I was disappointed not to see some involvement from the likes of Patino and Azeez during pre season.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Tell me Arsenal are getting Champions League football back, without telling me...

...Xhaka seemingly as bored as I am with all the nonsense this fanbase talks about him, GOAT player whether yous like it or not!

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

There is a facet of Man City and Liverpools game that we have been unable to replicate until now. We simply haven't had the full backs to switch play.

Zinchenko to Saka is going to happen ALOT. We are going to isolate Saka and Martinelli 1v1 vs their fullback a lot this season.

It's why we need one more devastating winger. I don't see the need for a winger/CF cover. We need someone who gets 1v1 and destroys fullbacks. That isn't Gakpo.

Even someone like Doku. A 1v1 demon.

CHO would be more choice, but he isn't leaving.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
Pressing is defending. When people say the most important line of defence is at the front, don’t take these words for granted, in the modern game it’s true. The forwards are your most important defenders, and any one player not doing it correctly (as a team) sabotages the whole team.

Haphazard

Our fans are getting so gassed because we beat sides that were not taking the match seriously lmao, a humbling on Friday is incoming.

Arsenal Quotes

The match will be shown on Match of the Day later this evening and if you don't want to know the result look away now as we show you Tony Adams lifting the cup for Arsenal.

Steve Rider
Top Bottom