• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League Postponements

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
I promise you that the executives at the companies have not lost a pent. Just like the airline industry, they cry poverty, get bailouts and all of that money stays in the pockets of the corporate class rather than the workers who actually keep things ticking over. What typically happens is layoffs while the CEO sorts keep everything including their bonuses. You'll note that the first place looked at for the rebalance is often the most essential workers workers earning the least rather than the executives with enormous wages that clearly can't be justified if their stewardship is poor enough that the industry needs a rebalance. In a world where MPs still get their pay increases no matter how many elderly people they're going to let freeze or how much austerity they impose on the NHS who are the backbone of the country and energy corporations are allowed to sell you a line about inflation while their profits skyrocket, I for one have zero issue whatsoever with ordinary working people trying to protect their livelihood and ensure they're not left behind.

What this past 2 years should have taught us is that all of this wealth we fetishize does sweet f*ck all when times get tough. They instead skim off of taxpayer funded services paid for in large part by ordinary people, the same ordinary people without whom the world grinds to a halt. I frankly don't care who you have sympathy for and I'm sure they don't either. They're human beings who perform an essential service and it's not greedy or delusional for them to use the tools at their disposal to collectively bargain for better terms. I wish every sector was unionized so that we wouldn't be on our way to a permanent underclass of people being left behind by greedy scumbags buying off politicians and taking from those who have nothing to give.
Should probably move this to general chit chat…

Corporate excess is out of control and needs to be addressed. We need stronger regulation (the opposite of which will happen today). But at the same time ignoring facts on the ground in favour of utopian platitudes isn’t a recipe for success.

Train drivers median salary is £60k. That’s also what you’d expect to make if you had say a masters in engineering… the “supply” of potential train drivers is vastly higher than engineers. Of course you can choose to not believe in supply and demand but that’s a whole other conversation…

Your point about sympathy highlights in a nutshell why the left struggle to achieve success despite clearly being objectively better for more people in a democratic system. No one should care about who I as an individual feel sympathetic for. But strikers depend on the sympathy of the nation they are withholding services from. The tories would love nothing more than to pass anti Union legislation. The lower that sympathy meter goes, the easier it is for them… in my experience the left always talk about ideas that sound nice without much thought to the pragmatism required to transition from idea to reality.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba

Corporate excess is out of control and needs to be addressed. We need stronger regulation (the opposite of which will happen today). But at the same time ignoring facts on the ground in favour of utopian platitudes isn’t a recipe for success.

Train drivers median salary is £60k. That’s also what you’d expect to make if you had say a masters in engineering… the “supply” of potential train drivers is vastly higher than engineers. Of course you can choose to not believe in supply and demand but that’s a whole other conversation…

Your point about sympathy highlights in a nutshell why the left struggle to achieve success despite clearly being objectively better for more people in a democratic system. No one should care about who I as an individual feel sympathetic for. But strikers depend on the sympathy of the nation they are withholding services from. The tories would love nothing more than to pass anti Union legislation. The lower that sympathy meter goes, the easier it is for them… in my experience the left always talk about ideas that sound nice without much thought to the pragmatism required to transition from idea to reality.
Really? That's all? Where I live after you factor in the exchange rate they make nearly double that because of the strength of the union. Obviously New York is a very different place in terms of cost of living and I'm sure the median is lower elsewhere but I have to keep in mind that the scale is quite different there. Where we have strong unions in NY, the pay is usually in the low 6 figure range. As to your other point, there's no argument from me about the left struggling even with better ideas. I don't even think it's about pragmatism as much as focusing on trivial nonsense and being dreadful at the messaging of good ideas that poll well and make sense to ordinary people but that really is a long conversation about the Overton window and whether they even want to win.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Can't keep postpone games but i read its official that the rail workers will be on strike 1st of October.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

Really? That's all? Where I live after you factor in the exchange rate they make nearly double that because of the strength of the union. Obviously New York is a very different place in terms of cost of living and I'm sure the median is lower elsewhere but I have to keep in mind that the scale is quite different there. Where we have strong unions in NY, the pay is usually in the low 6 figure range. As to your other point, there's no argument from me about the left struggling even with better ideas. I don't even think it's about pragmatism as much as focusing on trivial nonsense and being dreadful at the messaging of good ideas that poll well and make sense to ordinary people but that really is a long conversation about the Overton window and whether they even want to win.
Ahh, didn’t realise you were American. Honestly our center is like your left. Probably hard left.

60k here is much more than in the states because a) the pound is worth more (at least it fecking used to be) and b) we don’t need health insurance. I’m sure there’s other things. (Edit: like saving a fortune for kids college. It’s not free here anymore but no way near as much as US)

Batman

Ahh, didn’t realise you were American. Honestly our center is like your left. Probably hard left.

60k here is much more than in the states because a) the pound is worth more (at least it fecking used to be) and b) we don’t need health insurance. I’m sure there’s other things. (Edit: like saving a fortune for kids college. It’s not free here anymore but no way near as much as US)
Oh for sure. I keep up with UK politics since my family are there and I've got property there and someone like Bernie would be considered center for sure. Yeah, I mean the exchange rate has always hovered around. $1.30ish to the pound which is not ideal when traveling to the UK but not too bad. Most good union jobs here include health insurance with pretty low deductibles but the cost of college is enormous for a lot of families. I have UK citizenship too and the one thing I kick myself for not considering was going to Oxford or Cambridge after high school. I could have completed a degree there with board, flights home etc. for what one year at a less prestigious school here cost me but for whatever reason it just wasn't on my radar at that stage of my life.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

Oh for sure. I keep up with UK politics since my family are there and I've got property there and someone like Bernie would be considered center for sure. Yeah, I mean the exchange rate has always hovered around. $1.30ish to the pound which is not ideal when traveling to the UK but not too bad. Most good union jobs here include health insurance with pretty low deductibles but the cost of college is enormous for a lot of families. I have UK citizenship too and the one thing I kick myself for not considering was going to Oxford or Cambridge after high school. I could have completed a degree there with board, flights home etc. for what one year at a less prestigious school here cost me but for whatever reason it just wasn't on my radar at that stage of my life.
You must be young. My memories of the pound are at 2.00… but yeah sounds like you missed a trick. Not by not going to Oxford though. Steaming pile of **** that place is 😉

Batman

You must be young. My memories of the pound are at 2.00… but yeah sounds like you missed a trick. Not by not going to Oxford though. Steaming pile of **** that place is 😉
I just turned 34 so this felt good. :lol: Haha not fan of Oxford then? 🤣

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Injured in warm-up.
Faking an injury during the warm-up I hope. Or taking a pre-caution because of some feeling.

Otherwise fking hell.. this guy really should soon catch a break and show what he is truly capable of.

Btw. Why is this in this thread? So we hope for post-ponements?

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳

As a comparison the median salary of nurse is 33k, average salary of teacher is 35k and average salary of software engineer 40k. I'm all for unions but the drivers are paid fairly if that is their complaint, assuming it's far more than the engineers. Does driving a train actually require much skill? No idea, thought the software/ mechatronics engineers would have automated it by now.

Last edited:

Arsenal Quotes

I think I lost my hair flicking the ball on for all them years at the near post from Brian Marwood's corners

Steve Bould

Latest posts

Top Bottom